Questions about the Braille-size bumps on "C" pads

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

I am thinking of getting a LinnStrument and have a full size one on loan (along with a Seaboard Rise for comparison), but I'm thinking the LS128 would be a good fit for me.

I am rather liking the LS, especially with my guitar plugins, however the sharp pad edges are making my fingers sore from the sliding (I'm not a guitarist so soft fingers :wink: ). Is this normal? What is the best technique for sliding?

I have also read here on the forum that the LS128 now has extra bumps on the 'C' notes as well. I like the pads all being the same and I am mostly using the LS in guitar tuning so I assume the bumps will be in the wrong place for that? I also wonder if they might increase the soreness. I can't see from the pictures on the website what these lumps are like.

As the LS is an expensive purchase for my hobby, I must admit that this is putting me off a bit, hence the questions:

Are the new bumps sharp edged like the pads, or smooth and rounded like braille bumps on a cash machine?

How much are the bumps raised above the pad surface?

Can I get an LS128 with all flat pads?

If I ordered a full size LS today would it come with all flat pads or with the C bumps? If all flat then I'd be tempted to go for the full size one.

Are there any plans to smooth the edges of the playing pads in a future version?

How are you LS128 owners out there getting along with the bumps?

Thanks very much.

Hi Aspects,

That's the first time I've heard of soreness from the soft rubber playing surface. The note pad top edges and pad-to-sheet junctions both have a .2mm rounding, which is the maximum possible given that the pads are only .5mm above the base sheet. (.2mm + .2mm must be less than .5mm.)

You may be pressing harder than you need to. Your finger should glide over the tops of the pads. Do you find that you're always producing the maximum pressure output value? If you're running the current version 2.0.2 software, there's a new setting called Pressure Sensor Prescale that allows finer and wider adjustment in sensitivity than the Low/Medium/High Sensitivity settings for Velocity and Pressure. Search this page for "Prescale" to learn about it:

http://www.rogerlinndesign.com/ls-global-settings.html

Regarding the Braille dots, they have been shipping on both LinnStrument models for about 2 months. They are standard Braille size of 1.5mm diameter by .5mm high, will certainly not hurt your fingers and are easy to ignore if you choose to play in other tunings. For the large LinnStrument only, I still have some of the older sheets without the dots and can substitute one if you email me after placing your order, and can later send you a sheet with the dots if you change your mind. For the smaller LinnStrument 128, I only have rubber sheets with the dots. My experience is that most LinnStrumentalists who come from guitar find that because LinnStrument has no open strings as on a guitar, guitar tuning isn't as useful and they prefer the isomorphic advantages of all-fourths tuning.

Hello Roger, thanks for the reply.

Yes I do seem to be hitting the higher velocities more than on my Novation 49SL, though not maxing out all the time. I thought I had quite a light touch :-)

I have found that I have to press quite firmly when sliding or I get discrete notes. I assume that contact is lost as my finger moves across the gap between the pads. Is there a technique for this or just need more practise.
Yes the unit has 2.0.2 and I have tried the hidden setting (cool stuff), it makes some difference. I'll experiment with that some more. I have the unit on loan for a week.

I would be buying through KMR Audio in the UK (they currently don't have stock of the full size LS). Would I still be able to take advantage of your kind offer to substitute an older sheet without the dots?

I mainly worked with the pattern from the guitar fretboard (haven't played one in over 20 years due to RSI problems, watch out for those computers, they're bad for yopur health). So not having open strings is not a problem. However I've only had the LS for a day, so just learning what is best for me :-)

PS: I meant to say that it was acousmod in this thread that made me wonder about the Braille dots. He was getting sore fingers from his new LS128.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 3&t=472481

Aspects of Tone wrote: Yes I do seem to be hitting the higher velocities more than on my Novation 49SL, though not maxing out all the time. I thought I had quite a light touch :-)
LinnStrument is intentionally more sensitive than a MIDI keyboard because without the need to depress a key, most people prefer a lighter touch for faster playing. Also, given that LinnStrument requires finger pressure for pressure-based sounds, it is easier to play if more sensitive to pressure. However, you can easily set it for a heavier touch by setting Velocity or Pressure Sensitivity to Low and choosing a Touch Sensor Prescale value of close to 50.
Aspects of Tone wrote: I have found that I have to press quite firmly when sliding or I get discrete notes. I assume that contact is lost as my finger moves across the gap between the pads. Is there a technique for this or just need more practise.
Given that you've only borrowed the unit for one day, I suspect the problem is that you're accidentally touching the adjacent row during a slide, which is cured by practice. If you are certain this is not the case, you are welcome to send me a video demonstrating the problem and there may be an incorrect adjustment in your unit.
Aspects of Tone wrote: I would be buying through KMR Audio in the UK (they currently don't have stock of the full size LS). Would I still be able to take advantage of your kind offer to substitute an older sheet without the dots?
Yes. I would send the sheet to you with a video demonstrating how to exchange it. However, I kindly ask you to try it out for a few days first because I suspect you'll prefer the dots. FYI, KMR has no large units on order and I will have new stock to ship this Friday.

Well, I've been experimenting and practising based on your suggestions :-)
Roger_Linn wrote: LinnStrument is intentionally more sensitive than a MIDI keyboard because without the need to depress a key, most people prefer a lighter touch for faster playing. Also, given that LinnStrument requires finger pressure for pressure-based sounds, it is easier to play if more sensitive to pressure. However, you can easily set it for a heavier touch by setting Velocity or Pressure Sensitivity to Low and choosing a Touch Sensor Prescale value of close to 50.
I was nearly at this setting myself, Sensitivity was medium and Prescale 50. Changed to the Low settings and getting a more varied velocity response. However, I tried on 75 and High and I still got a varied velocity. I think I would like the more sensitive settings if I can just glide over the pads with minimal pressure and still get smooth pitch bend (which is a bit hit and miss except with firmer pressure). On that note ....
Roger_Linn wrote: Given that you've only borrowed the unit for one day, I suspect the problem is that you're accidentally touching the adjacent row during a slide, which is cured by practice. If you are certain this is not the case, you are welcome to send me a video demonstrating the problem and there may be an incorrect adjustment in your unit.
I have checked my technique and I'm not touching another row at the time of the slide. If I press lightly on a pad just enough for the note to sound then it lights up red. If I then glide to the next pad in the row it sometimes lights up red and a discrete note sounds. To get a smooth pitch bend every time I have to press more firmly and my finger tip then catches on the edge of the pad I'm sliding to. Of course I also get a louder note as well.

I assume this is not the correct behaviour. In which case incorrect adjustment is quite possible as this is a demo model I have borrowed. For example: I was getting stuck notes and found out that the MIDI delay was set to 0 instead of 235. Is there a way to reset everything to the defaults?
Roger_Linn wrote: Yes. I would send the sheet to you with a video demonstrating how to exchange it. However, I kindly ask you to try it out for a few days first because I suspect you'll prefer the dots. FYI, KMR has no large units on order and I will have new stock to ship this Friday.
Thanks for the info on the stock and thanks again for the advice and help. I'm starting to appreciate how cool this is compared to a standard MIDI keyboard (on/off switches :-) )

Aspects of Tone wrote: ...Sensitivity was medium and Prescale 50. Changed to the Low settings and getting a more varied velocity response. However, I tried on 75 and High and I still got a varied velocity. I think I would like the more sensitive settings if I can just glide over the pads with minimal pressure and still get smooth pitch bend (which is a bit hit and miss except with firmer pressure).
I'm confused. Are you aware that at Prescale = 50 and Pressure Sens = Low, you have set LinnStrument to its lowest possible sensitivity? This would explain why you have to press so hard.
Try this: First set Pressure Sensitivity to Medium. Then in the Prescale screen, press a note pad in the middle of the playing surface at a pressure level that you consider should produce a fairly loud note in your unique style of playing. Then while holding this pressure, press the light blue note pad in the upper right corner. This will set the Prescale value so that your example "loud note" pressure will produce a output MIDI pressure value of 127.
After doing this, test the pitch slides again and see if they work better. If you still experience a problem, then instead of filling up the forum with a one-on-one conversation, please send a video to support@rogerlinndesign.com so that I can better understand what you're doing.
Aspects of Tone wrote: Is there a way to reset everything to the defaults?
Yes, in Global Settings > Actions column, press Notes Off and Update OS at the same time.

Thanks Roger,

LS Reset, video taken and sent :-)

Return to “Roger Linn Design”