strange problem with fourth played note.

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello!
i have a two strange problems since i made the latest firmware update.
- Linnstrument 128 won´t not let me play four notes at the same time in a vertical row
- Linnstrument 128 won' t let me play four notes if i play two in one vertical row and the other two in another vertical row AND on the same height (horizontally).

this happens in all modes (one channel, MPE, channel per row)
i made a reset to default but it still behaves like this.

or did i miss something???

i´ve made two videos this should explain what i mean.

https://youtu.be/c5WNTsyqJTM

https://youtu.be/TM5_Wrpta-I

Thanks
Claus

Bitwig, against the constitution.

Hi Claus,

I'm afraid those are both limitations of the touch sensing system used in LinnStrument. They are stated on both the Specifications page and the FAQ page:

Q: What are the limitations of LinnStrument's sensor technology?
A:
1) Only one touch is permitted within each note pad.
2) If 3 note pads are pressed that are 3 corners of a rectangle, presses to a note pad that is the 4th corner of that rectangle will be ignored.
3) No more than 3 note pads are permitted in the same vertical column. Pressing a 4th note pad in the same column will be ignored.
4) Y-axis (forward-backward) movement is limited to the 17 mm vertical dimension of each note pad. Sliding your finger vertically across rows will result in a new note when the touch enters the adjacent row's note pad.
5) Maximum simultaneous touches: about 50.
6) Minimum distance between any 2 touches: 5 mm, but the 2 touches must be in 2 adjacent note pads.

I'm afraid these are both fundamental electrical limitations in the method used for LinnStrument's touch sensing. Without these limitations, LinnStrument would require a significantly more expensive sensing technology. Fortunately most people don't find this a problem because given that each pitch occurs in multiple positions, there are always alternate ways to voice a chord.

If you did not see this information on the site before buying, I apologize.

Roger_Linn wrote:Without these limitations, LinnStrument would require a significantly more expensive sensing technology.
How much more expensive for the user?

Thanks Roger and pdxindy for the information.
good to know that the Linnstrument isn't broken, it´s just a limitation.
but to be honest i never recognised this issue before so it just happens in really rare cases. In fact it is no limitation for me. I would never play that way normally.

Thanks
Claus

P.S.: YT videos deleted, no need for that anymore - and it was not good anyway ;-)

pdxindy wrote:
Roger_Linn wrote:Without these limitations, LinnStrument would require a significantly more expensive sensing technology.
I'd guess it would add around $1000 to the price. But the bigger problem is that such a solution wouldn't scale well to LinnStrument's large touch surface area. So you'd also get slower response, less accurate velocity and two close touches would be interpreted as one touch. Overall I decided that even with the rectangle issue, LinnStrument's current sensing system provides the best usability and value.

Roger_Linn wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
I'd guess it would add around $1000 to the price. But the bigger problem is that such a solution wouldn't scale well to LinnStrument's large touch surface area. So you'd also get slower response, less accurate velocity and two close touches would be interpreted as one touch. Overall I decided that even with the rectangle issue, LinnStrument's current sensing system provides the best usability and value.
ha! yes... I wondered if the more expensive solution would also provide other tangible benefits... but it seems like the opposite

mostly this limitation is not a problem... every once in a while when playing I forget and my fingers go for a note that wont play.

OK. I have noticed a strange variation on this. I think that it is the exact same problem because if you hold down two notes in the same row or column and then repeatedly tap a 'corner', you will eventually get a different note than the one that you are tapping. If this isn't the same problem, is there something that I can do to alleviate it? I keep hitting it when I arpeggiate chords in root position (holding the notes that I have sounded.) A sustain pedal helps (The problem doesn't happen if I am not physically holding the notes) but isn't always ideal.

I have never noticed that, so I did a quick test here and cannot replicate your problem.

How many times do you have to tap the 3rd corner to get this to happen?
Bitwig, against the constitution.

I had this as well, but before I reported, found out, you need to calibrate the surface again. A description is in the manual...

Hi griotspeak,

Sorry about that. BobDog and Tj are correct in that a Calibration should fix it. The Calibration is described on the Panel Settings page, Global Setting tab, in the "Actions" section near the bottom. Also, there's a FAQ about this issue on the FAQ page, Troubleshooting tab, third FAQ from the bottom.

Thank you. That fixed it. Is there anything that I might have done to cause need to recalibrate?

EDIT: To clarify, I recalibrated earlier because I replaced the top panel. It might have been a problem the whole time, but it didn't seem to be

There is no need to recalibrate after replacing a top panel, wood sides or rubber touch surface. You would only need to calibrate if you had changed either the touch sensor or main circuit board.

I suspect the problem was caused by doing that earlier calibration incorrectly in the area of the touch surface where you experienced the problem. Regardless, it appears that the new calibration was done correctly so all is now well.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”