Hello for 1st time and a question about PB Range of VSTs in Bitwig (Bazille, Kontakt, Omni..)

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi dear folks!
Since this August I am a happy owner of Linnstrument 128. My Rickenbacker bass is getting jealous already - it was to be expected :D

I am aware there are MPE problems with Bitwig.(I read through some of the topics here...)
Nontheless i upgraded my 8track to the full version when they had this summer offer.

Yes, I also notice their own devices work well when Linnstrument is set to pitchbend 24.
Recently I also bought Bazille after enjoying the sounds in a few videos by Geert.

So with Bazille in Bitwig strangely I have to set the range on my Linnstrument to 12 while leaving it at 24 in Bazille in order to perform as it should. (otherwise the slided note would not end at the same positition a normally played would). I can live with that - i can only slide within 12 but it sounds as it should.

With Kontakt it is a lot worse. I could not get it to perform correctly at all. And my assumption is that the problem is not Kontakt but Bitwig in this case (again).

I tried the procedure as described by Roger in the recommended page (set pitch bend to max which is 12) but no matter where I put the pitchbend on the Linnstrument itself 12 or 24 - the slided note does not fit the place of the actual note. It is always 1 half below that.

For example: I slide from C to D (2 pads) but the note I get when arriving on the D pad is not D but C# :ud:

note: the problem is the same with Bazille when set both the plugin and Linnstrument to 24. I must set the Linnstrument to half the range of Bazille and then it behaves.

I don*t think I am a huge fan of Kontakt anyway and I tend more to look into the Omnisphere direction (at least it has a PB range of 24 - which should work the same as with Bazille then - giving me a total of 12 at least).

Anyway for inbetween I am curious if someone had luck with Bitwig and Kontakt to get the bends work correctly.

BTW: in Omnisphere (don*t it own as of now): I know, one can clone parts easily across the midi channels for MPE, but what I am asking myself is. How easy is making adjustments to the instances *after* cloning them? I guess, make adjustment on one and then again clone, which is just one click, right? Not so bad at all :)

Ok, some more words about me:
Previously I was bass and electronics player only. Now the revolution has reached me in form of the divine Linnstrument :D I am on Windows, and i would love to stay within Bitwig - for all poly expressive duties. I bought it actually just for having a MPE ready DAW - I hope they improve it for VSTs (. The other environment I am used to and have known to love is Propellerheads Reason - and actually it is not so bad for playing with the Linnstrument. You have to copy one synth a few times to receive its own midi channel but because of the modular structure of Reason and the utility devices there are - you can set the whole thing up so you do not have to move a slider for each synth there is - but have it routed to just one knob or slider and it will move all of them. A bit of pre-work, but works nicely (minus the Y-movement).

My thanks and greetings to all Linnstrument creatures from Austria, Europe :tu:

Sanja

In Bitwig 2.4 Beta 4 (the latest) Bazille works fine... there is now an option in Bitwig when you click on the device header, to set the pitchbend range for the VST you are using. So you now just leave Linnstrument always at 24 and set the PB value per device in Bitwig.

If you have an active license, you can download the 2.4 beta of Bitwig from your user page.

As of Beta 4, the MPE stuff in Bitwig is solid.

Hi Sanja,

Thank you for buying a LinnStrument 128. As pdxindy wrote, the current release version of Bitwig has some problems with MPE that are apparently corrected in the beta 4 released of the new Bitwig version 2.4. Here's a little more information about what Bitwig is doing:

All other DAWs display Pitch Bend data as an arbitrary (non-pitched) continuous value disconnected from the note(s) it is affecting. By comparison, BW displays this Bend data as absolute pitches, and associated with the affected note, which is far more useful for MPE use, in which each note has its own independent Pitch Bend values.

In order for this feature to work, BW must know the Bend Range of the MPE controller. It does this with the "PB>Expression" field, viewed in the left pane when you select the track, and this is automatically set to 24 when you select LinnStrument as your MIDI controller. (This automatic behavior may been defeated in the Settings/Controllers window by turning off "Send Initialization messages".

And if an external plug-in synth is used, BW must also know its Bend Range. To enter this, you must select the instrument in the lower pane, which will cause the "PB Range" field to appear in the left pane.

This adds a little confusion but once you understand it, I think it's a small price to pay for BW's far more useful Pitch Bend editing.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”