Modelonia 2.0 VST Beta (don't mind this old thread)

Official support for: nusofting.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Modelonia

KTlin wrote:Both 32bit and 64bit versions load and play fine in Bitwig 1.0.7. on a Win 7 64 bit laptop.
The same here.

My laptop : Acer Aspire V3 (i5-4200M @ 2.50GHz with 8 GHz of RAM and the HDD weekly defragmented).

Two sound modules: the native internal of the laptop (which is compatible ASIO), and a little Behringer UC222. Both used with ASIO4ALL V2.

My version of Windows : 8.1 64-bits

Both 32bit and 64 bit versions of Modelonia 2.0 tested for hours with Mulab 5.5.2, Reaper 4.61, and Cantabile Lite 2.0.

Both load quickly (less than one second !) and play very fine. Any problem of latency, any strange sounds, any problem of compatibility encountered.

Just a little (and very easy) request: it would be nice to have the release number (and complete) indicated when we click the label "Nusofting" or the button "?" or the button "Info". Because for the moment the release number is findable nowhere. And by preference complete (2.xx.xxx). It can be notably very important in case of bug reports (or tutorials or... all that could be imaginable). But above all in case of bug reports.

About the skin also... just a little remark: the very little "keyboard" to adjust the pitches of the notes for the strings and the horn at the very bottom of the panel is... hum... how could I say... a bit somewhat weird and ultra-extra-super-small at the point that with my very bad eyes I must take a magnifier:
Ouch!
Sorry I've been too close...

And these minuscule squares alternated with minuscule labels... hmmm... not very pretty compared to the beautiful GUI just above... They make me think to a little train of an old cartoon from my childhood...
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Thanks for all reports, some others came via PM and it seems working great so far, there are two small bugs, in LFO 1 and presets name display, which I need to fix.

You can keep using and experimenting with this release freely for two more months.
Looking forward to any other comments or questions

A little video tutorial would be very welcomed.
Although Modelonia is a great synth and is not horribly complex (like Sculpture or Tassman) I still have troubles getting my head around some of its features.

KTlin wrote:A little video tutorial would be very welcomed.
Although Modelonia is a great synth and is not horribly complex (like Sculpture or Tassman) I still have troubles getting my head around some of its features.
Yes just I'm afraid a *little* video tutorial can't say much more than simply experimenting with the settings, maybe I should simply write a better manual and maybe some FAQ. Which features are most mysterious for you?

BlackWinny wrote:Just a little (and very easy) request: it would be nice to have the release number (and complete) indicated when we click the label "Nusofting" or the button "?" or the button "Info". Because for the moment the release number is findable nowhere. And by preference complete (2.xx.xxx). It can be notably very important in case of bug reports (or tutorials or... all that could be imaginable). But above all in case of bug reports.

About the skin also... just a little remark: the very little "keyboard" to adjust the pitches of the notes for the strings and the horn at the very bottom of the panel is... hum... how could I say... a bit somewhat weird and ultra-extra-super-small at the point that with my very bad eyes I must take a magnifier:
Ouch!
Sorry I've been too close...

And these minuscule squares alternated with minuscule labels... hmmm... not very pretty compared to the beautiful GUI just above... They make me think to a little train of an old cartoon from my childhood...
Yes I squeezed the pitch sliders to fit them, not sure how to do else...

About the release number, it should show by "Info", curently 1.970

liqih wrote:Yes I squeezed the pitch sliders to fit them, not sure how to do else...
Thought about moving some stuff from the right-hand pane onto the lowest part of the UI?

ie the 'Master Control' type stuff (pichhbend, master gain etc) could move beside the plucked-to-sustain sliders, and with some vertical rearrangements of the FX controls, the new EQ could then go on the right-hand pane which would be all effects?

BTW It occurred to me the pitch sliders could be nicely done with a MIDI-learn based interactvity. Click an 'enable' button, play a note - that's the note to work on. Make changes to the micro-tuning with the modwheel. Single-hit plays the note again, but a fast 'double-click' on the note drop out of tuning that note.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:
liqih wrote:Yes I squeezed the pitch sliders to fit them, not sure how to do else...
Thought about moving some stuff from the right-hand pane onto the lowest part of the UI?

ie the 'Master Control' type stuff (pichhbend, master gain etc) could move beside the plucked-to-sustain sliders, and with some vertical rearrangements of the FX controls, the new EQ could then go on the right-hand pane which would be all effects?

BTW It occurred to me the pitch sliders could be nicely done with a MIDI-learn based interactvity. Click an 'enable' button, play a note - that's the note to work on. Make changes to the micro-tuning with the modwheel. Single-hit plays the note again, but a fast 'double-click' on the note drop out of tuning that note.
Good ideas, will see what too do

liqih wrote: Yes just I'm afraid a *little* video tutorial can't say much more than simply experimenting with the settings, maybe I should simply write a better manual and maybe some FAQ. Which features are most mysterious for you?
Thanks liqih!

I could list all the things in Modelonia that I'm not sure how to work with, but I think you'll waste too much time trying to explain them here. Better to use that time creating a video tutorial everybody could use. I thing a 15-20 minutes tutorial will cover a lot of ground.

Cheers

continued at
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 9&t=433672
with the new release 1.980,number now written in INFO page,
also added highlight to tuning slider of the pressed note key,
overdrive in B channel of AP EQ and others.

see the docs, and ask what you need,

Thanks!

KTlin wrote:
liqih wrote: Yes just I'm afraid a *little* video tutorial can't say much more than simply experimenting with the settings, maybe I should simply write a better manual and maybe some FAQ. Which features are most mysterious for you?
Thanks liqih!

I could list all the things in Modelonia that I'm not sure how to work with, but I think you'll waste too much time trying to explain them here. Better to use that time creating a video tutorial everybody could use. I thing a 15-20 minutes tutorial will cover a lot of ground.

Cheers
Now I'm indeed writing a much better and complete manual for Modelonia, please write all the questions you have and I'll make sure to explain everything in the new manual

BTW BlackWinny if you had a change to try the latest beta from the other thread you may have noticed that I added a feature which highlight the whole Tuning fader in blue when you press the realtive MIDI key so you don't have to read the mini labels to know which is the note you are editing

It's really great that you're doing this. There are not enough physical modeling synths actually.

M2 has a lot of potential.

A flaw I am finding in it is the velocity seems to be weird. Sometimes the highest velocity creates a really bright tone, but later it is impossible to get that bright tone again, as if the velocity sensitivity has a bug in it in which the peak velocity is truncated. Sort of like the peak velocity response is changing randomly.

Also, where presets are concerned, generally speaking, the ear shattering brassiness should occur when the velo is over 100, but in a lot of cases, the instruments are blasting even at low velocities. Logarithmic curves.

the very thin knobs are fatiguing to move with a mouse. Maybe if they were 10px instead of 5px wide...

Also, I guess I need to hit the manual since the controls are all very esoteric with the exception of the ADSR.

it looks like the different elements (pick, noise, lips, string, brass) all have their own key and velocity scaling (logarithmic with the velocity scaling is very important otherwise it's hard to use velo expressively.) Should be easy to create patches that were multitimbral in behavior.

The limiter doesn't seem to be catching overs caused by the EQ in the bottom left. It mutes the track in Reaper if it gets too loud.

Sometimes the sound is harsh and grainy.

when the string stiffness is all the way up, it results in some sort of feedbackish stuttering 'bap bap bap bap'

please don't rush this, take your time! M2 is one of the few physical modeling synths that earth has.

overhishead wrote:It's really great that you're doing this. There are not enough physical modeling synths actually.

M2 has a lot of potential.
Thanks so much for the praise
A flaw I am finding in it is the velocity seems to be weird. Sometimes the highest velocity creates a really bright tone, but later it is impossible to get that bright tone again, as if the velocity sensitivity has a bug in it in which the peak velocity is truncated. Sort of like the peak velocity response is changing randomly.
Well if you refer to plucked presets there was a bug which I'm now fixing, sometimes the Pick exciter outputs too short impulses
making the tone brighther.
Also, where presets are concerned, generally speaking, the ear shattering brassiness should occur when the velo is over 100, but in a lot of cases, the instruments are blasting even at low velocities. Logarithmic curves.
That much depends on how presets are designed, but changing the velo curve is a good idea.Thanks
the very thin knobs are fatiguing to move with a mouse. Maybe if they were 10px instead of 5px wide...
yes I'm aware of that and a larger GUI is planned
Also, I guess I need to hit the manual since the controls are all very esoteric with the exception of the ADSR.
Yes please, I put a lot of work to make the manual complete
it looks like the different elements (pick, noise, lips, string, brass) all have their own key and velocity scaling (logarithmic with the velocity scaling is very important otherwise it's hard to use velo expressively.) Should be easy to create patches that were multitimbral in behavior.
I will try to improve that with velo curves as you suggested
The limiter doesn't seem to be catching overs caused by the EQ in the bottom left. It mutes the track in Reaper if it gets too loud.
That could be not the limiter but a numerical exception in audio, which is now fixed
Sometimes the sound is harsh and grainy.
Again depends on preset tuning but also releated to the same numerical exception in audio signal,
hopefully with the next beta should be all smoother
when the string stiffness is all the way up, it results in some sort of feedbackish stuttering 'bap bap bap bap'
Yes it can go out of range, could be a feature for special effects or I will fix that as well
please don't rush this, take your time! M2 is one of the few physical modeling synths that earth has.
Thanks again, and no I'm not rushing, it's now time to give Modelonia all care it needs
to be one of the best physical modeling plugin,

great feeback from you!

Cheers

Return to “NUSofting”