zebra2

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It feels much snappier! But I only have a 1.8 GHz single proc G5 to compare with ;)

;) Urs

Argh... I want a MacBook soooo badly!
I freaking deserve it!
I even have that dongle allready authorized for LogicPro 7... but it'll defenitely have to wait for at least another half a year to actually get plugged into any MacBook.
Sometimes life's a bitch!

Well, at least I'm right now designing the most kickass live guitar setup the world has ever seen - which would be impossible on a Mac as there's no Energy XT (which is doing the most marvelleous things, really...).

Which brings us back on topic: I want an audio input for Z2 ;)
My guitars just want to run through it for total audio mayhem!
Seriously, for live stuff I'd probably not need any other effects processor anymore.

You can allways dream, no?
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

just bought a Core Duo mini, and installed Windows XP on it... it dual boots like a champ and Windows is REALLY FAST! i've been running Ableton Live on the Windows side, and this mini runs faster than a 3.0ghz P4! now I get to check out all that PC only audio software!

Well, at least I'm right now designing the most kickass live guitar setup the world has ever seen - which would be impossible on a Mac as there's no Energy XT (which is doing the most marvelleous things, really...).

Which brings us back on topic: I want an audio input for Z2
My guitars just want to run through it for total audio mayhem!
Seriously, for live stuff I'd probably not need any other effects processor anymore.

You can allways dream, no?
These are two things I want to see. Not least of which is your eXT guitar rig!

Cheers,
Gordon

Audio input for guitars and vocals would be amazing.

Zebra freaking rules already, but I can just imagine how cool that would be.

kenn michael wrote:just bought a Core Duo mini, and installed Windows XP on it... it dual boots like a champ and Windows is REALLY FAST! i've been running Ableton Live on the Windows side, and this mini runs faster than a 3.0ghz P4! now I get to check out all that PC only audio software!
Huh!!!
What about hardware support, such as external USB audio devices? Will the usual Windows drivers work for them as well?

Beardedone wrote: These are two things I want to see. Not least of which is your eXT guitar rig!
It's gonna be kickass - but right now I'm running into some CPU troubles on my 1.86GHz Pentium M. That goddamn Guitar Rig 2 is quite a CPU hog, unfortunately (nah, not really...) it's sounding quite great for my taste.

Sascha Franck wrote:What about hardware support, such as external USB audio devices? Will the usual Windows drivers work for them as well?
http://www.macworld.com/2006/03/firstlo ... /index.php

Looks like drivers pop up every other day. Just the hardware acceleration of the video device can't be abused as well as Apple's own audio subsystem. So, no games for now...

... but I'm slowly getting curious... would be nice to have a WinXP laptop *and* a MacBook in a single case... maybe once the install procedure becomes bullet proof...

Cheers,

;) Urs

Urs wrote: ... but I'm slowly getting curious... would be nice to have a WinXP laptop *and* a MacBook in a single case... maybe once the install procedure becomes bullet proof...
Yeah, that'd be just great indeed.
Are there dedicated drivers for the onboard audio? Would be great if I could use the optical I/O for live purposes.

Btw, thanks for the link, even if it shows how lousy Quicktime actually is.
"Site needs some Quicktime component to be updated - component not found on server". That's just as shitty as the MS player. Can't watch the movie on the site...

apparently the drivers for onboard audio on the mini default to optical output... couldn't get the onboard audio working on my machine, but I plugged in an Emagic EMI 6|2 (USB audio interface), downloaded the Windows drivers, Windows recognized the hardware and installed the drivers... boom, working audio.

All very interesting. Seems like the way to go in the long run.
Anyways, I'd need my MacBook first, which will still take ages it seems.

Sascha Franck wrote:Anyways, I'd need my MacBook first, which will still take ages it seems.
Get one! Looks nice and works like charme. After one week with this setup I'm totally sold!

I've put it on the Logic 7 box so that it lines up with the Cinema Display.

My mobe has a crap camera, but sending the pic to the MacBook via bluetooth was instant gratification :hihi:

Laters,

;) Urs

Urs wrote: Get one! Looks nice and works like charme. After one week with this setup I'm totally sold!
If only the "get one" part was so easy. Will at least take until autumn, probably even winter (might finally make up for a nice x-mas present).
I allready came up with some plan though. So far I have almost all my financial things sorted until the end of the year (enough gigs it seems), so I decided to dedicate like 50% of the payment any further jobs (which might come in or not... freelancing sucks) to the MacBook, probably even 100% (but I want some new furniture stuff and a few more guitars as well...).
[some image]
Hah! My current (intermediate, see comment about furniture above) setup looks just the same! Apart from the fact that I'm using PCs and no Cinema display. Others than that it's really identical, laptop right (a bit raised as well), shared 19" display left, QUERTZ in front and MIDI keyboard slightly angled left!
Can't take a picture right now, but you'd be astonished. I mean, even the ashtray position is the same!

Urs, I'd like to ask a question about your setup as I am considering doing the same thing.
How much can you dim the MBP and attached screen? Can you dim them separately? I find that my iMac G5 screem is too bright even at the lowest setting when I work at night.

Sascha Franck wrote:even the ashtray position is the same!
You know, if you're right handed, you gotta use the mouse with that hand. This teaches you to use the left hand for the smokes :!:

Hehe, I can really recommend using the Logic 7 box for lifting the laptop. I've left the manual inside, so it's heavy enough to be a safe construction!
velocipede wrote:Urs, I'd like to ask a question about your setup as I am considering doing the same thing.
How much can you dim the MBP and attached screen? Can you dim them separately? I find that my iMac G5 screem is too bright even at the lowest setting when I work at night.
The attached screen is a Cinema Display. I can dim it separately, but it's pretty bright in the lowest position. The MBP is said to be brighter (both in terms of cpu and display) as the PowerBook. I can dim it into a much warmer & more comfortable setting than the CD. Using the CD in a dark room (not a dark room as you might think, but my room with the light switched off) would be a no go. I had to put in a new light bulb to feel comfortable (well, 25W -> 40W, not that big of a differtence). However, yes, you can dim them separately. The short cuts on the keyboard only affect the MBP screen, not the attached one.

Nevertheless, when I compare to the old crt days... no way back! Even though these were nicer in luminance, looking at flat screens exhausts so much less. No red eyes here anymore!

Cheers,

;) Urs

Return to “u-he”