Improvements!

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

+1 on more XY value setting accuracy.

Feature request for the MSEGs:

attack, loop, release should have their own kb track and vel mod. (time and mod matrix slot saving!)

Velocity should have vel and kb track modulation as well maybe?

that way one can control the vel curve. (serious tweaking almost always require vel curve alterations.. only possible via mod matrix atm i.e. mod: vel, via: vel)

I remember someone requesting an interesting Zebra feature some time ago... it was something about having a list of all modulated parameters...

that was cool, but I think this is better:

---All modulators can have colors (similar ones like LFO1,2,3,4, ENV1,2,3,4, and so on, should have about the same color shades for the GUI... )

---They can appear colored within the list menu so it will be very easy to spot them.

---Than, once we select a modulation source, the amount knob can change color respectively!

How's that? :hyper:

Easy to identify, select and spot active modulations and be able to tell if a mod source is being used too much or not... + no more getting confused by which LFO is doing what and if one can re-set it without messing something else for example. :)

Noise for modulation.

I am still getting up to speed on Zebra 2 and Zebra HZ, so if my comments are way off I'm happy to keep experimenting...in fact that is part of the fun.

In any case, have not found a way to use noise as a modulator. Closest I can find is to use noise as an input to an FM OSC set to "FM By Input". Then use the FM knob to adjust...but it sounds more like a mix of FM and noise. It does not sound like it's actually modulating the frequency. Then again I might be doing something wrong.

If I could select noise either as a modulator, or as an LFO wave source, then I could apply it to Tune (or Detune via Mod Matrix) and maybe Volume to achieve a noisy bowing attack.

Some of Howard's presets get very close to this, such as "Comb Strings" in Dark Zebra. But that is using a Noise generator and a Comb Filter in same lane so again it is a mix not a modulation. The result is that it sounds very clean instead of gritty. It is a beautiful sounding patch, I'm just trying to achieve a different effect.

The closest I have come is to use an MSEG with the full number of handles in a random pattern. Then use that with a very fast attack to modulate Tune.

Envelope - Zero Level Sustain

In working to create a bowing sound for strings, I notice that setting the envelope sustain to zero still allows the OSC to have an audible tone during the sustain portion of the envelope. Is there a way to change that so the amplitude goes to zero if the sustain is set to zero? This was what I expected but if that that is not a normal behavior for ADSR envelopes then might not make sense to change it.

The way it would benefit me is...say I create a gritty bowing sound in one OSC1, and I want to mix that sound with OSC2 that has a sustained string sound, I can't use the envelop to take the OSC1 sound to zero after the attack. I have to release the key. One way that seems to work now is using an MSEG with a simple slope from top to bottom, as a modulation source for OSC1 Volume.

So again, not sure the envelope behavior is all that important, but with all the features of the envelopes, it might be nice to have the ability to go to zero after the decay, and then maybe use the Sustain2 to raise it again.

As always, thank you for creating such great synths (Diva and Bazille are next on my list!), and for being so active and responsive.

You can achieve noise mod with 2 LFOs:

for example:

set LFO1 and LFO2 to same settings: 0.1s, rate max, phase 50%

LFO1 wave to sine, LFO2 to triangle. (or leave both to triangle for a more consistent noise.

Go to the mod matrix modulate LFO1 phase with LFO2 and LFO2 phase with LFO1.

amount: +50positive the other to -50

now choose either LFO1 or LFO2 as mod source when you want to add noise to some parameter.

3ee wrote:You can achieve noise mod with 2 LFOs:

for example:

set LFO1 and LFO2 to same settings: 0.1s, rate max, phase 50%

LFO1 wave to sine, LFO2 to triangle. (or leave both to triangle for a more consistent noise.

Go to the mod matrix modulate LFO1 phase with LFO2 and LFO2 phase with LFO1.

amount: +50positive the other to -50

now choose either LFO1 or LFO2 as mod source when you want to add noise to some parameter.
I wondered if multiple LFOs would work but I was going about it the completely wrong way. Thanks 3ee!

Edit:
This works nicely! Thanks again.

@bksherwood: I can assure you that all the things you think aren't possible are in fact quite easy. LFO noise wave, envelopes going to zero then back up.... Sorry, I'm on iPad right now (holiday hotel), otherwise I'd have quoted your post and replied in more detail!

Howard wrote:@bksherwood: I can assure you that all the things you think aren't possible are in fact quite easy. LFO noise wave, envelopes going to zero then back up.... Sorry, I'm on iPad right now (holiday hotel), otherwise I'd have quoted your post and replied in more detail!
Thank you Howard! Just knowing something is possible is enough to keep me digging further.

3ee's suggestion of having two LFOs to modulate each other was one I had not seen ever before, and it works well for using noise as modulator. I love those kind of creative solutions and wish I had thought of it! Makes me wonder if other modulators could be used that way...will experiment with that!

The envelope sustain going to zero...I now think was something glitchy (maybe my brain). I was able to get that to work by creating a new project. I set a medium attack and decay, and sustain to zero and sure enough the volume goes to zero without me releasing the key. This is what I expected but it was not happening the other day when I made my post.

It seems that if I am in a patch for a few hours (or several hours) I start to get weird things happening. Starting to wonder if it is my DAW (Studio One V2). Next time I see something not behaving the way I expect, I'll try starting a fresh patch before posting it.

Have a great holiday!

Diva future feature request...

option for each of the Multiply and Add modulators to be selectable for either. Most often I would like 2 Add modulators

Zebra feature request...

I would like an option to reset the geoblend/spectroblend waveform to flat... once I have waveforms in all 16 slots there is no way to reset it to flat.

Make all waveforms flat manually once then store it as an oscillator preset?

pdxindy wrote:Zebra feature request...

I would like an option to reset the geoblend/spectroblend waveform to flat... once I have waveforms in all 16 slots there is no way to reset it to flat.
There should be a modifier & drag combination that flattens the samples...

Urs wrote:

yes, alt+click+drag in my case :)

clangorous wrote:3ee's suggestion of having two LFOs to modulate each other was one I had not seen ever before, and it works well for using noise as modulator. I love those kind of creative solutions and wish I had thought of it! Makes me wonder if other modulators could be used that way...will experiment with that!
Sure, but don't forget that LFOs already have a "noise" wave built in - it's called "Random".

Urs wrote:

Oh yeah... thanks! That is one of those things I have learned and forgotten!! In this case, it is Command-Drag

Hello guys. Is it possible you can make a global option that allows me to keep using the same Tun file in Zebra without needing to load it each time I change a patch or load an instance!!? Thank you!

Return to “u-he”