New DIVA components

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic

Which synth's components would you like to see u-he add to DIVA next?

Yamaha CS-80
25%
Oberheim OB-X
27%
Prophet 5 V2
15%
ARP 2500
8%
Synthacon Filters
1%
Roland TB-303 Filters
14%
Synthi
5%
Polyvoks
6%

Total votes: 488

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well, I figured since you've already got two monosynths
in there already, why not not a third one.
The greatest mono synth of all time. :wink:

btw, I need your advice about ZebraliciousHZ

Urs wrote: I'm using every free time of my vacation (sic!) to work on modeling an analogue filter prototype that wasn't ever used in any existing synth. This one is going beyond the known bases. Not sure yet if it'll sound any good though :clown:
I have often wondered if there were some very interesting theoretical synth designs that never got built, due to expense or complexity.

Urs wrote:
We still have no Prophet 5, Chroma, ARP 2600, Synthi, Wasp. We also don't have access to an ARP 2500, we only had the opportunity to borrow a filter module (which we didn't). Also, the opportunity to borrow a Synthex is gone for now.:
Doesn't Howard have a Synthi AKS?
Urs wrote: I'm using every free time of my vacation (sic!) to work on modeling an analogue filter prototype that wasn't ever used in any existing synth. This one is going beyond the known bases. Not sure yet if it'll sound any good though :clown:
Sounds good :o Can you tell us more? Something more elaborate, in the vein of Xpander?
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:
Urs wrote:
We still have no Prophet 5, Chroma, ARP 2600, Synthi, Wasp. We also don't have access to an ARP 2500, we only had the opportunity to borrow a filter module (which we didn't). Also, the opportunity to borrow a Synthex is gone for now.:
Doesn't Howard have a Synthi AKS?
Nope… he had one but sold it ages ago.
Sounds good :o Can you tell us more? Something more elaborate, in the vein of Xpander?
Maybe.

Can't really tell you more at this point. But it's not really meant to be a Diva filter. It#s merely meant to be for something else, Zebra maybe.

Urs wrote: We also don't have access to an ARP 2500, we only had the opportunity to borrow a filter module (which we didn't).
We might be able to work out access to a 2500, but you'd have to spend your vacations working not in Australia. Are working trips tax deductible in Germany? :wink:
Most people wouldn't know good music if it bit them in the ass. –FZ

groundhum wrote:
Urs wrote: We also don't have access to an ARP 2500, we only had the opportunity to borrow a filter module (which we didn't).
We might be able to work out access to a 2500, but you'd have to spend your vacations working not in Australia. Are working trips tax deductible in Germany? :wink:
Hehe, a small part of my holidays is a few business meetings. That's certainly tax deductable.

I spend some time on filter design as an excuse to not join each and every family meeting. They happen daily and they're too much for me.

(that said, access to a 2500 sounds enticing, but it'll have to wait until there's an opportunity to do something with it…)

Urs wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:I always liked the Rhodes Chroma sound, but it is not listed :roll:
The things that are listed are those that the poster knew we had access to, at that time.

We still have no Prophet 5, Chroma, ARP 2600, Synthi, Wasp. We also don't have access to an ARP 2500, we only had the opportunity to borrow a filter module (which we didn't). Also, the opportunity to borrow a Synthex is gone for now.

I'm using every free time of my vacation (sic!) to work on modeling an analogue filter prototype that wasn't ever used in any existing synth. This one is going beyond the known bases. Not sure yet if it'll sound any good though :clown:

Why that obsession with filters? Would be more interesting to come up with a new synth concept :)

fluffy_little_something wrote:Why that obsession with filters?
Because different sounding filters have the biggest impact on Diva without watering the concept down.
fluffy_little_something wrote:Would be more interesting to come up with a new synth concept :)
New synth concepts are fine, but the topic would be somewhat strange within a thread about new components for Diva.

Korg MAXIKORG! Best old phatt analogue sound from all synths)
Second vote for ARP (2600) - very unique "hard & solid" sound.

SoulState wrote:Korg MAXIKORG!
That's a dual lane synth… the Korg 700s or 770 would rather fit Diva :)

I think I've suggested this before, but a special tabbed dual voice mode in which the parameters for each voice are independently editable would enable the emulation of two lane mono synths like the Maxikorg.

A limited approximation is possible using modulation by voice stack number, but this is rather hit and miss.

That said, my vote still goes for adding the Polymoog resonator module.

Fits the paradigm, would add a distinctive flavour, and (iirc) u-he already have one coded.

hakey wrote:That said, my vote still goes for adding the Polymoog resonator module.

Fits the paradigm, would add a distinctive flavour, and (iirc) u-he already have one coded.
IMHO, right now the priority should go to the oscillator. We (I, at least) need something different, that could approach the sound of the Oberheim. And one that allows mixing waves AND control the volume of the different sources, including noise (ideally, we should even address noise modulation separately, to allow for using a different envelope to it - this would be great for attack transients).
For the moment, a switch that reduces the volume of the pulse wave to ballance it with the other waves in the Dual VCO would be very welcome (or a back panel that allow us to control the relative volumes). My NSH 2 cents :neutral:
Last edited by fmr on Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

Would be cool to have a resonator in the effects, yes.

fmr wrote:IMHO, right now the priority should go to the oscillator. We (I, at least) need something different, that could approach the sound of the Oberheim. And one that allows mixing waves AND control the volume of the different sources, including noise (ideally, we should even address noise modulation separately, to allow for using a different envelope to it - this would be great for attack transients).
For the moment, a switch that reduces the volume of the pulse wave to ballance it with the other waves in the Dual VCO would be very welcome (or a back panel that allow us to control the relative volumes). My NSH 2 cents :neutral:
While volume control and balance + noise on the oscillators is important, I also feel the biggest problem with OB emulation in Diva is the envelopes. The OB envelopes and how they affect the filter and amp have a characteristic curve which is very difficult if not impossible to emulate with Diva's existing envelopes. However I mentioned this before and Urs commented that he doesn't want to make Diva an OB "emulator"; I'm not sure why since Diva already emulates a few classic standards already... :shrug:

If Urs ever completes the Uhbie filter integration in ZHZ (with the Multimode Morph control as in Diva), then I think the best candidate for producing OB-like sounds in the U-he arsenal will come from using ZHZ with custom oscillator wavetables. Maybe it's already possible to replicate the OB config by cascading and mixing filter stages and using the mod matrix to map it to one control, but it sure would be more convenient to have a single one. ;)
Last edited by Breeze on Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “u-he”