New DIVA components

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic

Which synth's components would you like to see u-he add to DIVA next?

Yamaha CS-80
25%
Oberheim OB-X
27%
Prophet 5 V2
15%
ARP 2500
8%
Synthacon Filters
1%
Roland TB-303 Filters
14%
Synthi
5%
Polyvoks
6%

Total votes: 488

RELATED
PRODUCTS

EvilDragon wrote:Perhaps it would make a bit more sense (it would be clearer to the end user), if this text label renamed itself when Dual VCO is selected (saying Osc 1/2 Mix), and when Triple VCO and DCO are selected it would say Noise Mix... Ditto for FM & Cross Mod Depth label.
It's possible but I'm a tad reluctant to do this. IMHO humans are great with things they know, but they're horrible with things they believe to know. I think it's fairly easy to figure out what the parameter does, and once one knows it's all okay. But a user interface that changes in a subtle manner like this (even on a page that may not be visible at the time of swapping text labels) can lead to a bit of head scratching, if not pulling one's hair out.

It's a whole different story e.g. for the labels on the Digital Osc - one selects a waveform, one can see the labels change. It's a direct interaction.

Hidden changes for the sake of a quicker learning curve may backfire.

Urs wrote:Regarding the CS-80, first of all it doesn't fit in Diva's voice structure. Like the 800dv it's a layout with two parallel VCO-VCF-VCA stages. We could at most do just one lane in Diva, and that would suck.

Secondly I'm convinced that the CS-80's appeal stems from the hardware (poly-at keyboard, ribbon controller) and from the people who mastered it. If it was for the sound and features of the synthesis engine, we should be having a galore of requests for a CS-30 implementation rather than a CS-80. But I suspect that even if we did a polyphonic CS-30, it would be sniffed at, regardless if it sounds exactly like a CS-80 with a better feature set. I believe that the hype for a CS-80 emulation has more to do with psychology than with the technology itself. I'm sure it'll always disappoint (even if a CS-30 clone would be something worth wile IMHO)

That said, I sincerely hope that some other company comes up with a CS-80 emulation on Diva's level. A companion product to Diva with a dual structure isn't necessarily what I'm into.
I was reading about the CS-30 (which I wasn't aware of), and it's specs look great, at least on paper. But it is not the one parte CS-80.

I agree that, in it's current strucutre, with just one line of synthesis, DIVA cannot accomodate for synths that have more than one part (like the CS-80, or the Super JX). But it could accomodate a CS-60. That synth is basically a one part CS-80, and although it lacks he versatility and power given to it's big brother by the two lines, it would be a good addition to DIVA, and would add diversity. That said, so would the CS-30, apparently.
Fernando (FMR)

Urs wrote: IMHO humans are great with things they know, but they're horrible with things they believe to know.
So true. I'm going to save that quote.

fmr wrote:But it could accomodate a CS-60.
Yes, I know. But I'm very afraid of the comments we'd get if we "only" do a CS-60. People will always expect a CS-80. It would be double disappointment (no dual lane, no hardware shipping with a Greek composer to play it)

Oh Snap, I seem to have missed this vote?

Would have voted for ARP modules. Man that synth has such a nice, chunky texture..!

Urs wrote: People will always expect a CS-80. It would be double disappointment (no dual lane, no hardware shipping with a Greek composer to play it)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:Well, I can select more than one wave, but the result sound is not quite as I expect (when I have the saw selected and I select pulse, the sounds changes, but not as strongly as it should, IMO). But maybe it's my ears that are tricking me :?
I don't think they are. There are two factors coming into play here. The first is the phase of the waves being added together. Analogue oscillators are usually based on a saw or triangle core and then create the other shapes from this via wave shaping. Depending on the mechanism used, the phase of the resulting shapes can have a different phase to the original core wave. This will obviously have an impact when they are mixed together.

The other factor is amplitude. One of the best features of the SH series/minibrute is that you can select the amount of each wave to be mixed and this can also have a dramatic effect on the end wave.

A single VCO based on the DUAL VCO which allowed this would do the trick quite nicely (but please include a beefy roland sub-osc). And, since, I'm fantasising, it could include the tb's square wave as an optional shape...

Aargh, just do a Prophet5 Osc+Filter and be done with it!

... and a resonator. :wink:

Garckx. We'll see where it goes. I think doing a diode filter would really excite me. And the Polivoks.

Regarding mixable waveforms… I'm halfway contemplating the SH-7 VCO section.

Urs wrote:Regarding mixable waveforms… I'm halfway contemplating the SH-7 VCO section.
That seems like a nice little beast, and would certainly add variety :) although my impression is that they are more on the rough, rasp side than on the sweet (read Oberheim) side.
Fernando (FMR)

Urs wrote:I think doing a diode filter would really excite me. And the Polivoks.
Make that two, Urs. :tu: Would be great having both a diode and the Polimotherfuxka too. :D

SH-7 VCO...
a wholesome squarewave buffet
If team u-he give it a go
Wild dogs couldn't keep me away!

Ha-ha hee-hee ho-ho!
Last edited by Sendy on Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Maybe a crazy idea, but... and what about an Osc module based on the VCS-3/Synthi-A? That one has mixing waves, and that "shape" knob that allows... well, you know... Osc 2 has a square/pulse and a triangle/saw. Together with the "shape" knob, and with the possibility to address modulators that the shape... Oh, well. I can dream.
Regarding the SH-7, I was looking at pictures, and, for what I can devise, the VCO is a regular one, except that we have in VCO-1 an extra bank of square waves... Or am I missing something?
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/imag ... fzUrMarTVg
SH-101, OTOH, has a source mixer that allows to control separately the volume of saw, square/pulse, sub and noise.
But, in the end, I maintain that a complete synth line from the CS-60 would be the best for adding variety in all fields (oscs, filters and even envelopes)
Fernando (FMR)

Urs wrote:
fmr wrote:But it could accomodate a CS-60.
Yes, I know. But I'm very afraid of the comments we'd get if we "only" do a CS-60. People will always expect a CS-80. It would be double disappointment (no dual lane, no hardware shipping with a Greek composer to play it)
Except mr. Papathanassiou there were couple of guys who squize some distinctive horns'n'strings from CS 80/GX 1. And I really like that sounds too.

Well, even if you wouldn't do CS-60, we still gonna expect it, because we simple nowhere else to go hehe :pray:

Btw, if you have both in office, how different is the sound of cs 30 and cs 60, I mean in general, are they sharing similar oscs / filters ?
Last edited by david.beholder on Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Murderous duck!

Return to “u-he”