Diva 1.3.0b4 (r2033)

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Urs wrote:
Weasel-Boy wrote:
Urs wrote:Sounds much like our struggle with VST3. We highly recommend using VST2 plug-in until we rewrite our VST3 layer (there's a conceptual discrepancy between VST3 and our framework which we hadn't caught until recently - we need to rewrite VST3 support for a more simple - and more predictable - subset of VST3).
Urs: I'm just curious. Can you tell us what are a few advantages of the VST3 format over the VST2 format. Is there some real compelling reason to use the VST3 version over the VST2 version?
The main reason would be distribution over processes and physical machines. So you have the DAW and the Editor on one machine, and the DSP calculation on another.

This is also the main advantage of AUs and AAX. However, with AU and AAX this is easy to achieve for us. Whenever our editor needs to know something from the DSP part, it can say "Hey, I need that value" and the DSP part says "Ok, here it is".
Interesting, so on Mac is AU more efficient than VST?

aMUSEd wrote:Interesting, so on Mac is AU more efficient than VST?
I don't think there's much of a difference, CPU-wise.

What I'm going on about is the way things communicate, and about the layout of knowledge about the process.

In VST3, both the DSP part and the "Controller" that mediates between DSP, GUI and host need to know specific things about the process, such as number of parameters, parameter names etc. But as they can't communicate directly, there's a bit of a dictate there as to how the code needs to be set up - in a way that I arguably find old fashioned and unelegant.

In AU only the DSP-part needs knowledge about process-specific things. The GUI can access that information via the hosting interface and thus there is no need to have a dual layout in the codebase.

This is wandering a bit off-topic, but is there any good reason to use VST rather than AU on a Mac?

Not a rhetorical question, btw. I'm wondering if I should just remove all the VSTs for which I have AUs.

News From The Sky wrote:This is wandering a bit off-topic, but is there any good reason to use VST rather than AU on a Mac?

Not a rhetorical question, btw. I'm wondering if I should just remove all the VSTs for which I have AUs.
Maybe not pertinent to U-he stuff, but anything that outputs midi you need the VST version...

If ever you want to switch from Mac to PC, VST will save quite a lot of time.

SaganTech wrote:If ever you want to switch from Mac to PC, VST will save quite a lot of time.
U-he uses its own format and it is cross platform, so it is easy to switch

That's not going to help much if you have a 1000 Au's embedded in host documents.

New beta / release candidate is up:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=397441

Let's continue there :)

Return to “u-he”