DCO Majic (wavetable inside)

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

3ee wrote:
Sendy wrote:For sawtooth and square you have to add the harmonics by hand - very tedious but possible :)
If you have my init patch, osc 1,2,4 has that already if you switch to SpectroBlend mode + other half sets of harmonics (for example splitting the square wave harmonics into 2 (odd/even) partial sets... if loaded into 2 oscs and phase locked will result into a square wave if the right phase...

shortcut to my init patch (updated since Zebra's bday)
https://app.box.com/s/xfoi7n0amms8iycprbd8
Thanks, but I have these square/saw/sine harmonics wavetables already constructed. I'm not one to let tedium get in the way of a geeky audio moment :hihi:

I'll post them to the patchlib soon, because they're quite fun to play around with. You can get a sort of "harmonics arpeggiator" effect when you sweep them around.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

bump, last chance to get your votes in, will begin waveing in (edit) 3-4 hours. :D

Voting's over: Picked the 16 most useful and/or cool waves.
Will need 16-18 nodes to construct so it will take some time.

Can't believe you guys missed the SQ+SQ(33) combination... very useful simple wave, def gonna wave that.

Just because I promised an audio clip, here are the 16 "naked" picks I will model.
Please excuse the sloppy, uninspired playing. :D

https://app.box.com/s/eqkaxavqlp6ocouyw8p9
download and listen since the preview is full of conversion artifacts.

I now have to figure out the optimal order so morphing between them will be decent or interesting also.

So, on the audio clip: there will be some extra osc phasing with some notes that shouldn't be there.. simply ignore that as once modeled, the waves won't have that problem.

Also notice that some waves are really solid and sharp (great for monophonic stuff) and some sound digi-fuzzy-silky, great for poly stuff.

3ee wrote:Can't believe you guys missed the SQ+SQ(33) combination... very useful simple wave, def gonna wave that.
I just tried to pick the ones that sounded best to my ear...now I wonder about the rest of my picks :dog:

In any case, glad you are using your best judgement and including it. In fact, I would think your votes count double!

^ Just finished that wave... took an hour, not bad! :D ..got to get a life pretty soon! :hihi: ;)
The loudest extra harmonic is about -50 db on a low D note. (using lower notes for good wave resolution as well as to fine tune for best brightness/sharpness so the wave won't sound dull.)

This things can be super-time wasters if you don't decide when a wave is done and move to the next. I guess it's also impossible to get the wave 100% with the current Zebra osc editor.

hm, feature request for a snap to harmonics function?

Suloo wrote:hm, feature request for a snap to harmonics function?
hmm, I don't think it works that way when editing in GeoMorph.
When you move something a tiny bit sometimes, the symmetry of the wave is skewed resulting in a complex of harmonics that depends on various other moves to get into place. a snap to harmonics here would get confused since there's no one way to "snap" to harmonics.

However... a harmonic gate would be interesting here :D
Something like the choplift oscfx but with user definable thresh hold across the spectrum.

anyway, done 4 waves in 4 hours .. :D now time to experiment a bit.

:eek: OK... can't wait to finish and share this, the results of playing with such waves are beyond my expectations!

Like... I was trying to get very smooth super-waves and smooth multi-PWM before with good results but this is simply ridiculous! :lol: You don't even need to put in multi osc mode to get superwaves! :D

..not to mention ubercool and new static chip-crunchy or sharp timbres.

3ee wrote::eek: OK... can't wait to finish and share this, the results of playing with such waves are beyond my expectations!.
This is very exciting. Can you share a little about your process when you are done?

I looked a the wave samples with a scope, and tweaked the phase and sync knobs, but not sure I was able to get the waves to lock. Sometimes it would appear locked and then occasionally shift. Sometimes when it was locked it would not sound all that special.

Do you tweak the phase of both OSC or only one?

What kinds of things are you trying to see in the scope?

3ee wrote:https://app.box.com/s/eqkaxavqlp6ocouyw8p9
Thanks for making this 3ee. :) The sounds have a lot of power in the lower octaves. They remind me of chiptune raw waves. Very cool.

clangorous wrote:
3ee wrote::eek: OK... can't wait to finish and share this, the results of playing with such waves are beyond my expectations!.
This is very exciting. Can you share a little about your process when you are done?

I looked a the wave samples with a scope, and tweaked the phase and sync knobs, but not sure I was able to get the waves to lock. Sometimes it would appear locked and then occasionally shift. Sometimes when it was locked it would not sound all that special.

Do you tweak the phase of both OSC or only one?

What kinds of things are you trying to see in the scope?
You don't need to tweak the sync knobs (was referring to the phase "sync" reset button)
The waves will stay locked on unison and octaves (disable osc drift) if for example you want to set the 2nd osc to +7st, you need to finetune the pitch so it doesn't drift. (it still drifts on some notes, that's the way in Zebra)

When phasing waves, the spectro-meter is more important than the oscilloscope. In most cases you will see when the perfect phase relations will be.

In most cases it is sufficient to tweak one osc phase out of 2.
The scope is also useful when phasing waves.

bmrzycki wrote:
3ee wrote:https://app.box.com/s/eqkaxavqlp6ocouyw8p9
Thanks for making this 3ee. :) The sounds have a lot of power in the lower octaves. They remind me of chiptune raw waves. Very cool.
The real majic is yet to come ;)

Suloo wrote:hm, feature request for a snap to harmonics function?
I believe this was requested and may possibly turn up in a future version of Zebra, possibly Z3.

Suppose you want to create a perfect square wave. At present you have to eyeball it, then adjust the middle transient by lassoing it and shifting it left and right, until the even harmonics disappear.

But if you want to create a wave which is two, three or more cycles of a square wave? Now you've got multiple transients to set up, and they all have to be pixel perfect, plus the feedback you get from a running spectrograph doesn't tell you which transient you need to adjust.

Most helpful would be a grid you could switch on, which has an X factor and a Y factor, X controlling how the wave is divided in time, and Y controlling the volume resolution of the grid. So if you wanted to create a staircase wave with 6 steps, you could just set X and Y to 6 and easily fill in the shape.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Yeah, an updated wave editor with all sorts of useful tools would definitely help big time!
Meanwhile, lowering mouse pointer speed and using a bigger Zebra GUI certainly helps. :D

Return to “u-he”