Bazille - tips & tricks

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bazille

Anybody already played around with filtered envelopes? I haven't yet, but I can imagine HP being useful...

About the aliasing, I've noticed it's really the custom waveforms that alias significantly, even with no phase distortion.

Using the cosine wave, high notes are free of aliasing, until you reach maximum phase distortion, at which point it kicks in.

I'd recommend Diva for high end soaring synths with lots of pitchbending in the meantime. Perhaps oversampling it will help?
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Quick, simple control over LFO mod speed VS amount trick involving the LAG generator.

When you want the mod amount to become less and less as you increase the LFO speed.

Simply connect an LFO out (say the squarewave) into the LAG in and LAG out to pitch mod for starters...
Start with relatively slow to mid LFO speed and adjust the lag to suit.

...then you'll notice that when increasing the LFO speed, the mod amount decreases as given by the lag controls.

any one figure out how to trigger the envelops from the sequencer... i wanna make some acid bass presets
plaeground.com

[LEGALIZE IT]

robotsound wrote:any one figure out how to trigger the envelops from the sequencer... i wanna make some acid bass presets
Maybe you forgot to connect a trigger for the gate from the chosen seq out, It must be connected to something (anything random/unused so Bazille would "activate" it)

Select ModSeq1 or 2 for any envelopes you want triggered by the sequencer. (modseq1 is for the left most seq and modseq2 is for the right most seq)

Speed divider for the trigger seq must be set twice as fast (gate on + gate off, positive values for gate ON+ vel and negative ones for gate OFF)

Read the Seq env trigger from the manual again, carefully! it's all there.
If you still don't get it going, we'll explain somehow.

robotsound wrote:any one figure out how to trigger the envelops from the sequencer... i wanna make some acid bass presets
Here is a preset in case you have not yet figured it out.

http://draigathar.org/sounds/Re-trigger.h2p.zip

Messing around yesterday and figured out how to modulate fm amount from an external source, maybe someone knows an easier way.

Take an osc and attach it's output to a multiplex input then attach an external source ( mod wheel, envelope) into the rm input of that multiplex then attach the multi out to another osc pm input and turn it up a little. I'm just figuring this thing out anybody know a better way?

tommyfrizz wrote:Messing around yesterday and figured out how to modulate fm amount from an external source, maybe someone knows an easier way.

Take an osc and attach it's output to a multiplex input then attach an external source ( mod wheel, envelope) into the rm input of that multiplex then attach the multi out to another osc pm input and turn it up a little. I'm just figuring this thing out anybody know a better way?
A single oscillator's volume can be controlled by knob to the left of 'volume'. For example an envelope patched into that, while volume itself is zero, feels a lot like Yamaha-style FM synths with an envelope per oscillator - the volume mod knob becomes PM depth (so long as the signal is coming out of the lower, post-volume output).

That's maybe simpler, not necessarily better ... using the multiplexes is good to have figured out, there are endless possibilities there.

Thanks I'll try that out, yeah this synth is awesome, feel like the possibilities are endless

Here is simple(ish) way to reharmonize an oscillator's pitch by controlling it with the mapping generator. I'm sure a lot have figured out some variation, but anyway...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hw2lcdqyvcupd ... catvio.h2p

(another version, easier to hear?... https://www.dropbox.com/s/eo09xvnzm5r1r ... perato.h2p)

In this case, it simply clamps any key received by oscillator 1 to one (bass) octave while oscillator 2 plays normally. Originally it was two octaves tuned pentatonic and used in conjunction with a sequencer out to the oscillator's volume as a sort of bass-line generator in a larger patch that made silly bits of multitimbral music on a keypress. You know, that kind of stuff. But I took all that out and retuned it chromatically for the sake of simplicity and being less annoying. It's easy enough to change back or however you want but anything over 4 octaves is too tedious for me.

Tuning errors, better methods, let me know.

A pretty good square wave PWM method:

*open init patch
*go to tweaks page, set mapping generator 1 to 2 values (right click and choose "2")
*draw in first value is -100, second 100
*back to main page, change osc 1 PD source from cosine to "Tap map 1"
(now you will have a square wave if you play notes, when PD depth is 0)
*change the PD types to "Impulse", "Same"
* modulate the PD depth with an LFO, envelope

Tada! How do you like it? PWM from roughly 0 to 50 %.

Here's a trip and a tick:

1 - Oscillator self S+H

This is a little mod the Oddity synth can do involving sample and hold. Instead of taking an arbitrary S+H signal sampled from an LFO or noise source, something funky happens if we "sample" the oscillator waveform, as we hear it playing. Have a basic saw wave patched into the filter, and the filter to the output. Cutoff and resonance middling. Then take another wire from the "raw" output of the oscillator and into the S+H module input, with the S+H output feeding the modulation of the filter. Now clock the S+H with LFO1 set to a suitable rhythmic value (like 16th notes).

What happens is you'll get a different sequence of filter "plonks" for each note on the keyboard, which are the result of the waveform you're hearing being sampled at a very low frequency. Due to the intentional aliasing, some keys will produce squarewave-like filter modulations of differing periods, whilst others will produce long stepped sweeps, others still producing a mixture of different periods of saw and square modulations. This is a really neat mod in my opinion, because you're hearing the saw wave doing double duty as an oscillator and a modulator. It also ties in with sampling and nyquist theory, giving you a good and graphic example of aliasing distortion and how it affects the waveshape.

2 - The four wave wavetrain

Bit esoteric this one, but basically, each oscillator in Bazille gives you two waves in serial if you choose two different waveforms for the same oscillator. But suppose we were to have two of these dual waves, and use a third oscillator to switch between them at audio rate, such that we hear a waveform consisting of four waveforms in series. Well, I tried it and it's possible :)

The trick is to use a multiplex to convert the third oscillator, which would be square for instant switching, as a crossfade source between the first and second oscillators. It's quite confusing, becuase osc 1 and 2 are sounding at an octave lower than usual, due to the "casio octave modulation" effect of chaining two waves in serial, but eventually I settled on leaving osc 3 (the switcher) at neutral tune, and setting 1 and 2 to +24 semitones.

Then it's just a matter of configuring the multiplex to do a clean crossfade from one side to the other, at the behest of oscillator 3. Luckily, the appropriate settings are relayed in the manual, which is just as well as it isn't exactly obvious to me how to go about this :)

The end result, provided all oscs are set to "gate sync" and "drift" is turned off, is a waveform consisting of four different wavecycles, which can then be modulated in pairs.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Bazille's two Ramps can make audio- or modulation-rate square, saw, ramp, triangle, and inbetween waves.

Hey Sendy, good ones, thanks! :)

1. try an audio range trigger for the S/H,
for more options, pimp an OSC to act as an LFO (the fractal resonance will generate "octave" harmonics which multiplies the modulation)

2. try exact phase offset on one of the oscs... reminds me of the sound of phase locked DCOs which sound more like DDOs

xh3rv wrote:
2 ways to PWM without TapMaps:

1) Mix a saw with another equivalent saw, but inverted and with an constant offset phase. Modulate PWM depth by further modulating phase (via the phase mod input).

---
Or go brute force and just modulate the volume of one square osc with another phase modulated square osc. Or ring modulate the squares instead of amplitude, maybe better...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2e1jj3nnj5bsq ... .%20AM.h2p (RM on one output and AM on the other)

--------------------
Probably going too far with the pwms, but...

Fairly well known modular trick attempting to derive triangles and sines (with filtering) from a saw based osc is to (try to) do a sort of analog version of waveform sequencing of saws and ramps (i.e. negative and positive going saws). Unfortunately, at the point where you try to 'glue' them together into a triangle by matching the phase just so... there is always some bit of a spike/glitch (so it's left in or filtered out or whatever). Modulating this point causes the waveform to move from saw to glitchy triangle to ramp. When there is sawtooth 'pwm' on an analog module, it is often this version. The spike in bazille is prominent when I tried it, but it sounds ok when modulated.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t1s9wdfod6ud4 ... igital.h2p

An insipid version of this effect using a digital synth method included on Out 2.

(of course, patches not meant to sound amazing. just tips and tricks that work in Bazille)

Return to “u-he”