Can the u-he plugin dlls be moved?

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I have all the u-he dlls in my VST folder. Since more and more plugins are adding up, the list shown in Ableton Live is quite long. Now I wanted to move the dlls into an extra u-he folder within the VST folder. Can that be done without reinstalling the plugins? Or will they then no longer work?

Thanks

You can move them but since you are using Live you don't have to move them. Live is one of the few hosts that can scan a folder full of shortcuts (aliases for Mac). So what I do is create a custom plugin folder for Live and drag into that shortcuts to each VST I want to use in Live, you can make subfolders to organise them however you want and Live will respect the folder structure so everything is much tidier. When you are done just replace the standard VST plugin path with your custom path and let it scan them in. Once done Live also loads faster as it's not having to scan every single VST and associated files, just a bunch of shortcuts.

Sure, you can move them.

Wanterkeelt wrote:Hi,

I have all the u-he dlls in my VST folder. Since more and more plugins are adding up, the list shown in Ableton Live is quite long. Now I wanted to move the dlls into an extra u-he folder within the VST folder. Can that be done without reinstalling the plugins? Or will they then no longer work?

Thanks
You could even grab the U-he folders and put them on another machine AFAIK, since the licence information, grafics, presets etc. are all stored within the folders. :tu:

Thanks to all people that replied. Unfortunately moving the dlls inside an u-he folder inside the VST folder resulted in none of the plugins working anymore. Each time when I opened them it said it couldn't open a file in Program Files... although nothing is stored there. Anyway... I'll keep them in the VST folder then...

Hm, that's weird. I can move my whole u-he plugins folder to an USB stick and have them anywhere I go...

Wanterkeelt wrote:Thanks to all people that replied. Unfortunately moving the dlls inside an u-he folder inside the VST folder resulted in none of the plugins working anymore. Each time when I opened them it said it couldn't open a file in Program Files... although nothing is stored there. Anyway... I'll keep them in the VST folder then...
You should have done what I suggested. No need to move anything then.

Wanterkeelt wrote:Thanks to all people that replied. Unfortunately moving the dlls inside an u-he folder inside the VST folder resulted in none of the plugins working anymore. Each time when I opened them it said it couldn't open a file in Program Files... although nothing is stored there. Anyway... I'll keep them in the VST folder then...
Be sure not to move only the DLLs but the whole folders - maybe you installed the files on different locations in the first place.

Anyway shouldn't be a big deal to just reinstall - make sure to back up your patches.

Return to “u-he”