Linux public beta (4408)

Official support for: u-he.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello everybody :)

Here is a new "BETA" release of Repro for Linux.

http://uhedownloads.heckmannaudiogmb.ne ... 820.tar.gz

A *lot* has been going on. I've been debugging an issue where opening the window and closing it many times could lead to random crashes. The issue was not trivial and required a lot of changes on the linux port to be fixed.

Also before I used to create a dedicated thread to run the plugin UI and handle X11 events. This is not the case anymore. Mac and Windows version were running the UI from the "main thread" and on Linux we had some vst callbacks on the main thread and also a dedicated UI thread, which led to a Linux port being more complicated than the two others, and as I'm working the u-he port on my free time, that was not a good thing to be more complicated.

As of today the VST2 interface will rely on the "idle()" callback from the host and the refresh rate will depend on how often the host calls "idle()".

With VST3, we will rely on the very latest interface called "IRunLoop" which will let us plug our events into the host's main loop. This new interface will be implemented in the next major release of Bitwig, and as I've heard Justin (Reaper) is working on it as well.

Something that you might have noticed with the previous beta of repro, is that we now use the vst3 bundle directory layout (look in ~/.vst3/u-he) which is what the VST3 SDK requires for Linux.

Also the rendering code went through a few different iterations, first it was using Xlib + cairo-xlib, then I was wondering if I had some issues coming from Xlib so I rewrote the whole thing to use xcb + cairo-xcb instead. It was better but still some issues were left so I moved to xcb + cairo-image + xcb-shm. Finally I also found some issues with FreeType so for now FreeType will not be used and the fonts will look a little bit different, but still it is very readable :) And the good thing is that now it seems to be more responsive and does not crash anymore.

An other thing, is that the 32 bit build will come later.

Anyway that was a lot of technical details. The purpose of this post is to give you this new build, and if you feel like you want to find bugs and try to crash the plugin, please do so and let me know :-)

Many thanks guys,
Have fun, and have nice season's greetings :)

Alexandre

Thanks !!! Vielen Dank ! Much appreciated. Thank you for spending the time doing this.

Cheers.

This is a very nice surprise, I was thinking another week or two,
and that with the Santa Optimist dial at 11 :wink:

Thanks for sharing the details of the successful quest.
Have you been drafted to the Zebra 2.8 beta,
or Repro sysex-convertor projects yet? :hihi:
Hope U-he have a fun Christmas party!

Thousand thanks @abique , both for the code and for the report! We are having a lot of fun with REPRO.

Thanks @abique so much for your work on this!

I am afraid that neither the VST2 or VST3 versions works in Fedora 27, both load with totally empty GUI. I am running the latest Reaper 5.70, looking at the command line output I am getting non stop 'Unhandled X11 event: 0'. Here is a copy of the entire command line output from starting Reaper, first loading the VST2 Repro 5, then the VST3 Repro 5, then quitting Reaper. I hope the error messages can help.

https://paste.fedoraproject.org/paste/M ... ~7D7yelPYQ

David, are you using an nvidia driver?
Do you see anything related to "shm" in the logs?
Thanks.

abique wrote:David, are you using an nvidia driver?
Do you see anything related to "shm" in the logs?
Thanks.
I am not using nvidia, I am using built in intel graphics. I did a search of the log I uploaded in my last post for "shm" and found nothing, is there anything else I can do to help?

Code: Select all

sudo lshw -numeric -C display
[sudo] password for david: 
  *-display                 
       description: VGA compatible controller
       product: HD Graphics 6000 [8086:1626]
       vendor: Intel Corporation [8086]
       physical id: 2
       bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
       version: 09
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
       configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
       resources: irq:45 memory:a9000000-a9ffffff memory:b0000000-bfffffff ioport:3000(size=64) memory:c0000-dffff

abique wrote:Hello everybody :)

Here is a new "BETA" release of Repro for Linux.

http://uhedownloads.heckmannaudiogmb.ne ... 820.tar.gz

A *lot* has been going on. I've been debugging an issue where opening the window and closing it many times could lead to random crashes. The issue was not trivial and required a lot of changes on the linux port to be fixed.

Also before I used to create a dedicated thread to run the plugin UI and handle X11 events. This is not the case anymore. Mac and Windows version were running the UI from the "main thread" and on Linux we had some vst callbacks on the main thread and also a dedicated UI thread, which led to a Linux port being more complicated than the two others, and as I'm working the u-he port on my free time, that was not a good thing to be more complicated.

As of today the VST2 interface will rely on the "idle()" callback from the host and the refresh rate will depend on how often the host calls "idle()".

With VST3, we will rely on the very latest interface called "IRunLoop" which will let us plug our events into the host's main loop. This new interface will be implemented in the next major release of Bitwig, and as I've heard Justin (Reaper) is working on it as well.

Something that you might have noticed with the previous beta of repro, is that we now use the vst3 bundle directory layout (look in ~/.vst3/u-he) which is what the VST3 SDK requires for Linux.

Also the rendering code went through a few different iterations, first it was using Xlib + cairo-xlib, then I was wondering if I had some issues coming from Xlib so I rewrote the whole thing to use xcb + cairo-xcb instead. It was better but still some issues were left so I moved to xcb + cairo-image + xcb-shm. Finally I also found some issues with FreeType so for now FreeType will not be used and the fonts will look a little bit different, but still it is very readable :) And the good thing is that now it seems to be more responsive and does not crash anymore.

An other thing, is that the 32 bit build will come later.

Anyway that was a lot of technical details. The purpose of this post is to give you this new build, and if you feel like you want to find bugs and try to crash the plugin, please do so and let me know :-)

Many thanks guys,
Have fun, and have nice season's greetings :)

Alexandre
Really nice to see a new beta released. Unfortunately it doesn't run in KXstudio 14.04 but I guess that will not change so I will upgrade my boxes.

On another related topic
Why can we not have the latest beta versions also published in the main Linux public beta thread (4408)
I know the name is wrong but some new versions are published there and some are not. The thread could be renamed to just Linux Beta thread and the freshest betas could be in first post.

To find this new Repro 1 beta build, one must read threads and stumble upon the link to a newer build.
The same goes for Diva build 5541 which I do not remember where i found, another thread or possibly the download site at u-he..
ZebraHZ build 3904 is a secret to most people and I was able to find it and purchase it just by mistake.

I am not complaining but trying to give some feedback that possibly can improve the situation for current as well as potential U-he linux users...
Last edited by Subarumannen on Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David Else wrote:...I am afraid that neither the VST2 or VST3 versions works in Fedora 27, both load with totally empty GUI...
Same here, Fedora 23, nVidia 340.xx driver for a GeForce 210 chipset. Tested VST2/VST3 in Bitwig Studio 2.2.2. No messages at the terminal. I ran ldd on all the new versions, got no problems with dependencies. Any suggestions what else I can do to help debug the problem ?

Best,

dp

Bitwig 2.2.2 will likely not display the UI because it is not calling idle() on Linux if I'm correct. That'll be fixed for the next major release.
Also this build is more like an alpha than a beta... :)

Thank your very much abique for spending your time on this project:)
Are there also new system requirements for the new builds? It's just because the repro plugins don't get recognized at all on my system using the newest Bitwig 2.2.2. I have installed them as before and the .so files are in the vst folder like the other plugins but don't show up in my bitwig browser.

greetings

hihu wrote:Thank your very much abique for spending your time on this project:)
Are there also new system requirements for the new builds? It's just because the repro plugins don't get recognized at all on my system using the newest Bitwig 2.2.2. I have installed them as before and the .so files are in the vst folder like the other plugins but don't show up in my bitwig browser.

greetings
They don't seem to be showing up at all in Centos 7.4 (in a VM) either. Centos 7/RHEL7 needs gcc 4.8.x compatibility, is this all good for the new beta?

David Else wrote:
hihu wrote: They don't seem to be showing up at all in Centos 7.4 (in a VM) either. Centos 7/RHEL7 needs gcc 4.8.x compatibility, is this all good for the new beta?
Did you try restarting the computer?

I know it makes no sense, but it has worked for me in a couple cases with U-he VSTs.

@ David Else: is it working for you.

I'm using Debian 9 and I also restarted the computer. Doesn't get recognized here.

I have "gcc (Debian 6.3.0-18) 6.3.0 20170516" but doesn't work here.

hihu@debian-s0nd:~/.vst/u-he$ ls -a
. Bazille.64.so Hive.64.so Repro-1.64.so
.. Diva.64.so Protoverb.64.so Satin.64.so
hihu@debian-s0nd:~/.vst/u-he$

But I have it in the directory where also the other plugins are. Strange

Thank you so much for your work!
Sadly, I'm having the same issue as several others here: Repro (neither 1 nor 5) doesn't show up anymore, after I installed this new build.
Doesn't show up in Qtractor (where I've used all the older builds), doesn't show up in Carla.

I've also tried rescanning and restarting.
My system runs Debian 9.

Return to “u-he”