Linux public beta (4408)

Official support for: u-he.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

At least Linux was mentioned in a promo mail from U-He recently. It was real nice to see Linux mentioned there. :)

StudioDave wrote:I'm just saying that considering how well these synths have been working on Linux (at least they work like champions here at Studio D), perhaps u-he can reconsider that FAQ entry.
Reconsidered. :)

The boring and bureaucratic truth is: the Linux builds are beta versions, there are no builds that are considered "stable" yet, so we can't confidently say "our plugins support Linux" at this time. Once there is a set of builds that is considered a stable "u-he Linux 1.0" release, then we can start oh so confidently confirming our support of the Linux platform.
Cheers
Rob
u-he | Support | FAQ | Patch Library

Then I think you need to choose officially supported Linux distributions. No one will be able to support them all.

#rob wrote:
StudioDave wrote:... perhaps u-he can reconsider that FAQ entry.

The boring and bureaucratic truth is: the Linux builds are beta versions, there are no builds that are considered "stable" yet, so we can't confidently say "our plugins support Linux" at this time. Once there is a set of builds that is considered a stable "u-he Linux 1.0" release, then we can start oh so confidently confirming our support of the Linux platform.
Thanks for the note, Rob, much appreciated. I understand u-he's position and will patiently wait for the official recognition. Meanwhile I'm certainly enjoying those amazing synths and desperately trying to save the money for Bazille. (Damn those groceries, always getting in the way of other more useful things !) :)

Best,

dp

#rob wrote:
StudioDave wrote:I'm just saying that considering how well these synths have been working on Linux (at least they work like champions here at Studio D), perhaps u-he can reconsider that FAQ entry.

Linux is 'by definition', perpetually and continuously in beta. Beta, in the linux sense,
means 'always being tested while being powerfully used'. Everything from the kernel
to the $ prompt, is in ever-rolling release, eyes freely on the code,
and tools freely on the table.

So in my mind, there can never be 'official support', in the same vein as you support
0s-ex and windoze. And because it just can't be done, nobody is clamoring for you to do it.
Simply surrender part of the corporate line, slightly modify the (wonderfully high) standards
to suit the very unusal case that linux presents, and let the players shake the modwheel,
even if it lacks a box, and an official sticker. :wink:

As a case in point, the qtractor developer stepped up his man-hours to support
using vst shell plugins, simply because U-he made such great ones available to use!
To quote the Sheen, "Winning!!!"
Cheers

#rob wrote: The boring and bureaucratic truth is: the Linux builds are beta versions,
Perhaps the U-he team could enjoy some fine adult beverages, while composing
a list of top selling hardware synthesizers that hit the shelves,
in a fully non-beta state of being?
firmware: the beta zone for all things plastic...
The weekend is coming, and craigslist is vulnerable :hihi:

phantom-one wrote:Then I think you need to choose officially supported Linux distributions. No one will be able to support them all.
The generic installer handily defeats the foibles of distro maintainers.
I doubt an 'Official' sticker will add value to the product for linux musicians.

As it is, I think U-he and the independant linux developers make a great team.
U-he inject some stable plugins into the wilds of linux, and new developement
begins surrounding them. Hard to improve on such a formula.
(of course, I don't know the inside stories, or the gory details,
so I'm just frothing at the mouth, after long hours of toiling at the tunes.
I'm so sick, I actually dreampt about using MFM2, instead of Bar Refaeli :wink: )
Cheers

Abique

I have a minor grammar correction for you in the install script old bean!

I've just installed Podolski 'n it sez:
Podolski's data were installed to /home/dan/.u-he/Podolski
When really that should say "Podolski's data was..."

No showstopper, it'd just chill a few grammar Nazi's out there if it got fixed!

:D
Last edited by danboid on Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Accidental post. Delete this if you can admins - sorry!

Shame we can't delete our own (accidental) posts!

danboid wrote:I've just installed Podolski 'n it sez:
Podolski's data were installed to /home/dan/.u-he/Podolski
When really that should say "Podolski's data was..."
No showstopper, it'd just chill a few grammar Nazi's out there if it got fixed!
Though rarely used correctly, "data" is actually the plural form of "datum". "Podolski's data were installed" is therefore grammatically correct. BTW the plural of grammar Nazi is grammar Nazis, not grammar Nazi's ;-)

Howard:

Actually, you're right! Data is a plural AND I messed up Nazis too! :(

I must remember to check any posts I make correcting people.. then I posted something by mistake to top it off!

Today is not my day for grammar or just doing simple tasks on the internet, that's for sure!

:D

I'm kinda an anti-grammar Nazi as I frequently intentionally mis-spell stuff on forums - that's my excuse Howard!

Hello , i use Linux mint 17.2 and Bitwig 1.3.2 . The plug ins (Diva,Hivs,Bazille,Presswerk,Satin 3965) are crashing so i click with the right mouse key on it.

Another Right Mouse Click Issue. But no crash, just the right click menue instantly closes. No chance to register my plugins.

Ardour 4.4 / Arch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty0wu8f6JDU

sonnie wrote:Another Right Mouse Click Issue. But no crash, just the right click menue instantly closes. No chance to register my plugins.
How about using the "enter your serial..." option on the startup splash? ;)

Return to “u-he”