So I bought ACE...

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ACE (Any Cable Everywhere)

I'm surprised there isn't really an in-depth thread on ACE in the last six months or so and I'm not really a fan of necromancy so I figure I'll post a new one.

Picked up ACE Sunday and hoping this finally, finally cures the round of GAS I've had for a while now. I still consider myself an almost-newbie at synths at best, and never really sunk my teeth into a modular one (the 2600 still baffles me). So I'm hoping to sit down and really, really learn how to get the most out of ACE and have some great fun in the process (along with staunching the money flow). And maaaaaybe I'll actually make a song or two out of all this!

Current task list:
  • RTFM, and I mean actually read it
  • See if there's any good old threads here to trawl through
  • u-he's Youtube tutorials, play along
  • Watch Dan Worrall's tutorials for the nth effing time and play along
  • Go through Synth Secrets again and apply some of Gordon's knowledge to ACE
  • I have Fred Welch's Synth Cookbook coming this week, I want to see how many of those patches I can recreate
  • And speaking of recreating patches, I'd like to see if I can recreate factory patches from some other Synths. I like the way the Prophet 5 manual has detailed charts with expression notes and variations, so I'll work a few of those to start and see where to go from there.
  • And after all that, maybe go back to that 2600 and see if I can learn it well enough to port some of its patches to ACE, and vice versa.
And that should take me... oh about a year or so. Anything else?

Please berate me if I don't keep this thread updated with progress! It's about time I sit down and actually learn a synth for once instead of just buying new ones :p

Winter is here, and I have something to do at night while I can't take the dog to the park. I'm excited.

Use DAW automation on the knobs for added sequencing fun :)
:borg:

Haha, yeah I bought Cableguys' MIDIshaper over the weekend as well. I'm sure its automation isn't audio rate but it's still something I'll be able to throw at it.

dumbledog wrote:Haha, yeah I bought Cableguys' MIDIshaper over the weekend as well. I'm sure its automation isn't audio rate but it's still something I'll be able to throw at it.
What DAW are you using?

Logic X, sometimes with Blue Cat's Patchwork as a wrapper since Logic's MIDI FX support can be pretty frustrating sometimes.

dumbledog wrote:Logic X, sometimes with Blue Cat's Patchwork as a wrapper since Logic's MIDI FX support can be pretty frustrating sometimes.
Nice, well I'm looking forward to hearing your A.c.e experiments! There is really a incredible amount of stuff you can do with A.c.e.

once you wrap your head around A.c.e you'll probably want Bazille next ;)

Ace is really under-rated. It is by no means a stepping stone to Bazille either. It's definitely got it's own place and unique sounds & aspects.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Day 1: Got to the ring modulator section in the manual before getting lost to experimentation, spent a good half hour making goofy sound effects and made a pretty neat needle scratch patch. Then realized I had the mixer section set wrong and wasn't using the ring mod at all :dog:
https://soundcloud.com/dumbledog/needle-scratch/s-3H0IN

Above all...Have fun!

Here's a link to a PDF copy of the original ARP 2600 User Manual. This is maybe the best introduction to modular synthesis (and subtractive synthesis in general) that I've ever read. Also, when it was written, I think it was the first and only one. If you have a 2600, you NEED to go through this manual!

http://guitarfool.com/ARP2600/Arp%20260 ... Manual.pdf

And it couldn't hurt to try reproducing the examples in this manual in ACE :)

Yeah I have all the original manuals for the emulated VSTs I own (Arturia/Korg mostly) and find those pretty fun to go through.

As for Bazille... Eh I dunno yet. From the vids I've seen it seems more of an aggressive/dubsteppy type of synth while I'm more into the synthwave/80s type of stuff, and also there's not a whole lot out there as far as tutorials and such. Once I have a good understanding of ACE and the 2600 I'll take another look.

Hi,

I'm looking at it the other way, I've liked the look of ACE since it came out but purchased Bazille the other day and I'm making my way through the manual and Groove3 Bazille Explained videos. I'll learn Bazille first then I think I'll pick up ACE since it seems like crazy value for money! :wink:

I used to have a Nord micro modular back in the 90s and it feels like those days again with Bazille! :)

I'll follow your progress...

dumbledog wrote:Yeah I have all the original manuals for the emulated VSTs I own (Arturia/Korg mostly) and find those pretty fun to go through.

As for Bazille... Eh I dunno yet. From the vids I've seen it seems more of an aggressive/dubsteppy type of synth while I'm more into the synthwave/80s type of stuff, and also there's not a whole lot out there as far as tutorials and such. Once I have a good understanding of ACE and the 2600 I'll take another look.
Bazille is the synth where you can get down to the early '50s sci-fi, to 2012 dubsteppy sounds. Don't watch to many youtube vids.. ;)

Bazille is a modern modular synth, but all the parameters allow you to get "true analog" sounding patches! Give it a try!

Bazille can make a wide variety of sounds. So can Diva, Zebra, and ACE. They just have their own workflow and their own flavor/timbre to go along with that. I wouldn't pigeon hole any of these synths into a single genre.

All in good time. I really want to get a synth down well before I look into any more and ACE is the hill I'm dying on.

Current task: Looking for a way to generate a ramp wave without resorting to the mapper, preferably via inverting a waveform. I know I saw that in a vid somewhere...

And of course that's why I should RTFM

One more for good measure:

Any hints on other ways?

Return to “u-he”