The Hive Hexagon Thread

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

Or a slot for an expansion u-he-plug, which will be developed in future. :)
Was Große tun, beschwatzen gern die Kleinen.

A suite of signal analysing and visualising tools - oscilloscopes, spectrascopes and so on - these can be both useful (I found the original oscilloscope in Diva extremely useful when it could be used to visualize control signals) and, if well designed, spectacular eye candy, which would be fitting for Hive. NI's Razor is a good example of visualization that is both useful and enhances the aesthetic appeal of the UI.

Other than that, a vote for the XY pad, particularly if it could be used to morph or breed between patches (for non continuous parameters have one patch a master and the other/s a slave), or as a sound design tool - assign several parameters, move the XY until an interesting sound is reached, save that as a new patch with the XY re-centred.

Whilst I think about it, a hexagon can be split into three diamonds to form something that looks like a cube, which could be useful either for pseudo 3D visualisations for the first idea or to form three XY pads.

hakey wrote:Other than that, a vote for the XY pad, particularly if it could be used to morph or breed between patches (for non continuous parameters have one patch a master and the other/s a slave), or as a sound design tool - assign several parameters, move the XY until an interesting sound is reached, save that as a new patch with the XY re-centred.
^^ Ooh, this. Would be great if it could be programmed to allow smooth live performance variation.

Where are you going to put microtuning? You've got some space above the keyboard, maybe just over the pitch wheel, to load .tun files...?

hakey wrote:Whilst I think about it, a hexagon can be split into three diamonds to form something that looks like a cube, which could be useful either for pseudo 3D visualisations for the first idea or to form three XY pads.
Hehehe, this was in the first (partial) screenshot we leaked (and the original idea we had):

http://www.u-he.com/img/HIVE_teaser2.jpg

The idea was to have 3 XY-fields that would be set up automatically and intelligently for the current preset, i.e. to provide for global filter control. The controls that were developed for this are now the same controls that are used for parameter linking in Hive and Presswerk. We however couldn't come up with an intelligent algorithm to auto-assign parameters to those fields, and we found that the current link button does a better job at linking left and right sides.

Using this kind of visual (it looked gorgeous!) with some kind of patch morphing/breeding is still a great option and a current favourite of mine.

Keep ideas coming :)

~Pd~ wrote:Where are you going to put microtuning? You've got some space above the keyboard, maybe just over the pitch wheel, to load .tun files...?
We haven't got many requests for Microtuning in Hive yet, so we thought we might get away without :oops:

They keyboard control is a complete rewrite form the one in MFM2 and Zebrify. We hope to slowly develop it into something very useful and versatile, if not an editor for scales.

The other thing is, we're soon launching Presswerk with a new Preferences & MIDI panel. We'll see how this goes and then make it available in all our plug-ins. Maybe this could be the place where Microtuning might end up. Hive is also going to be launched with this prefs panel (I think it's awesome).

Urs wrote: We haven't got many requests for Microtuning in Hive yet, so we thought we might get away without :oops:

They keyboard control is a complete rewrite form the one in MFM2 and Zebrify. We hope to slowly develop it into something very useful and versatile, if not an editor for scales.

The other thing is, we're soon launching Presswerk with a new Preferences & MIDI panel. We'll see how this goes and then make it available in all our plug-ins. Maybe this could be the place where Microtuning might end up. Hive is also going to be launched with this prefs panel (I think it's awesome).
Please integrate Microtuning.... :pray: :pray: :pray: i didn´t request it because i thought it´s not there because of the Beta-state...
Last edited by operator on Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everyone knows more than I do...

Urs wrote: It could still be something giving visual cues (modulations, realtime display of envelopes when tweaking those).
This! When tweaking Envelopes, LFOs, Filters we could see them.
There was a lot of talks about Env curves and we know that is possible to modulate
the stages of an envelope via the mod matrix, but i feel those are against Hives easy workflow, too much guessing and difficult to hear the effect.
If we could see it on a nice display, and we could just drag the middle points of the lines,
that would be easy to do and understand and get easy access for slopes too.

Would be helpful for LFOs also, to see where we are in the cycle. If we could draw the LFO shape would be better.

Would be nice to see the shape of the Filter and resonance and the modulation running thru the display.

Osc could display there too when FM and Sync will coming.

We could only see it when turning on the WIP display so it wont diturbe those who don't care about this stuff.
This would really helping those who are trying to understand the signal flow of the synth.
Could be a teachers tool for synth courses.

Personally for me:
If this visual envelope would be freely drawable for Env, LFO, or Trance gate - Step Seq
would be even better. :wink:

hollo wrote:
Urs wrote: It could still be something giving visual cues (modulations, realtime display of envelopes when tweaking those).
This! When tweaking Envelopes, LFOs, Filters we could see them.
There was a lot of talks about Env curves and we know that is possible to modulate
the stages of an envelope via the mod matrix, but i feel those are against Hives easy workflow, too much guessing and difficult to hear the effect.
If we could see it on a nice display, and we could just drag the middle points of the lines,
that would be easy to do and understand and get easy access for slopes too.

Would be helpful for LFOs also, to see where we are in the cycle. If we could draw the LFO shape would be better.

Would be nice to see the shape of the Filter and resonance and the modulation running thru the display.

Osc could display there too when FM and Sync will coming.

We could only see it when turning on the WIP display so it wont diturbe those who don't care about this stuff.
This would really helping those who are trying to understand the signal flow of the synth.
Could be a teachers tool for synth courses.

Personally for me:
If this visual envelope would be freely drawable for Env, LFO, or Trance gate - Step Seq
would be even better. :wink:

For me this would be the best use of the central section, and beneficial to macro tweaking of envelopes etc.

An included MSEG too..... two of them!

I would enjoy Hollo's visualization ideas :).

Xfer Serum is wonderfully visual and has the best envelope's I've ever tried. It feels like you're directly moving the envelope itself rather than just a parameter, and you can visually see the signal flow. It's too late to change things in Hive, but if you can still visually see the envelopes and functions change in 3D in real-time when you move a parameter, that would be the next best thing :).

I'd rather have some sort of super-XY pad, but 3D visuals are my second vote :).

lachrimae wrote:3D spectrum showing each of the oscillators overlaid in a different color (pre and post fx as options)
please no.

only if i can turn it off and get an x-y pad for it instead.

updated post i made in hive preview thread:
1.) certain functions available in the 'via' tab, like an upper/lower damper for modwheel so it only affects the values over or under the halfway point, or both upper and lower dampers, with max output at 50%.
2.) More waveforms, possible? I think something like Res1 in bazille would be cool.
3.) Is it possible for you guys to let us custom-design our own synth engine? (Glad to hear this might be a possibility)

As for the hexagon... some complex mod morphing abilities would be cool... i'm guessing an xyz pad using a hex shape would be taxing on the cpu, and definitely makes it more complicated... that def narrows down the possibilities.

So what I suggest is having that whole page become available when the 'custom' engine is selected as have it be just for that -- no useless/lame oscillator, no extra knobs and widgets, etc -- no mod parameters would have to be added, either. Another, probably less likely, option is a waveform editor (wavetable editor not being a possibility I imagine? even between osc 1-2?)

PS: an idea above mine I like: visual readout for LFOs and ENVs! so much more helpful than a running signal oscillator! heck even a frequency spectrum readout would be more helpful xD

I second(third?) the slop/drift request.....what I love most about your synth's Urs.

Having the FX parameters there would also make sense.

Wir brauchen kein Augensüßigkeit :D

How about an XYZ pad? Hexagonal instead of square, three axes instead of two.

I like the patch morphing idea (particularly the ability to save a state as a new patch, so it's evolutionary), I like the vector synthesis idea (though I'd rather just have 2-axis vector envelopes in Zebra 3), and I like the modulation visualization idea.

If the goal is to keep it quick and easy, patch morphing is a good way to do that. Not 100% happy with a patch but not sure how to change it? Stick it in the XYZ pad with some other patches that are similar and move the control until you hear something you like.

xy pad and maybe patch morphing?but I guess it would be difficult cause if the 3 different engines¿¡

yes, XY Patch morphing!!!
Or a MIDI Map like ACE's
But then a strange fear gripped me
and I just couldn't ask....

Return to “u-he”