[ANN] Repro-1

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Urs wrote:The i/o version won't be modular per se - one can't patch things internally. But it will have many output options, e.g. for use as audio/modulation source. On the input side we're looking at the signal inputs that a real Pro-One actually has: Gate, CV, Trigger/Clock, Filter CV and Audio Input. This is the result of many people nagging us for years for such connectivity, either to reproduce the original behaviour or to integrate with their modular setup. Repro is going to be our first attempt at satisfying that wish. People who don't need this functionality can just use the other one.
Will the modular environment in which this can be patched be a separate application?

When using this to send CV signals to external hardware modulars through a DC coupled interface, will there be the facility to auto calibrate the output pitch CV signal to accurately tune oscillators of the hardware?

atukao wrote:
Urs wrote:The i/o version won't be modular per se - one can't patch things internally. But it will have many output options, e.g. for use as audio/modulation source. On the input side we're looking at the signal inputs that a real Pro-One actually has: Gate, CV, Trigger/Clock, Filter CV and Audio Input. This is the result of many people nagging us for years for such connectivity, either to reproduce the original behaviour or to integrate with their modular setup. Repro is going to be our first attempt at satisfying that wish. People who don't need this functionality can just use the other one.
Will the modular environment in which this can be patched be a separate application?

When using this to send CV signals to external hardware modulars through a DC coupled interface, will there be the facility to auto calibrate the output pitch CV signal to accurately tune oscillators of the hardware?
It's going to be a plug-in. The actual patching functionality depends on the hosting environment you use it in. Some host will allow for comfortable patching, others won't. If you use Silent Way by Expert Sleepers, you'll know the drill already, but of course Repro offers a mix of very different signals.

The frequency CV outputs will assume 1V/Oct, which spans 10 octaves between -5V and +5V (that's the supposed amplitude of a signal with 0dB attenuation in your host mixer). We will not provide for automatic tuning, but the tuning process should be utterly simple, considering you have the Repro oscillator as pitch reference. It actually can't get simpler than that, I guess it's even faster than patching a feedback loop for any form of auto tuning.

Urs wrote:It's going to be a plug-in. The actual patching functionality depends on the hosting environment you use it in. Some host will allow for comfortable patching, others won't. If you use Silent Way by Expert Sleepers, you'll know the drill already, but of course Repro offers a mix of very different signals.

The frequency CV outputs will assume 1V/Oct, which spans 10 octaves between -5V and +5V (that's the supposed amplitude of a signal with 0dB attenuation in your host mixer). We will not provide for automatic tuning, but the tuning process should be utterly simple, considering you have the Repro oscillator as pitch reference. It actually can't get simpler than that, I guess it's even faster than patching a feedback loop for any form of auto tuning.
Does this represent the first step towards a self contained modular system?

The Pitch CV Out module in Reaktor Blocks 1.2 can calibrate itself to sound souces that may not be scaled to 1V/Octave.

It would be nice to have a higher level patching environment as an alternative to Reaktor with a similar set of utility modules.

atukao wrote:Does this represent the first step towards a self contained modular system?
No, it's just a single plug-in where we try to fulfill a feature request we hear from time to time.

I don't really see much of a necessity to use Repro as a MIDI-2-CV module. Usually people ask for io connectivity to have additonal modulation and audio signals at hand. For CV sequencing purposes, Silent Way offers more than what Repro will do.

look whats there :D

was just posted on facebook..hope it's ok to share it here as well.

looks nice :tu:

Yep, that's what it's gonna look like :-)

Sounds great looks handy. This could be my first U-he synth. Any plans for NKS support? Seems to be a good synth for my Komplete S.

That UI............*fap fap fap*

Pardon the possible stupid question, but I see RePro's gonna be a mono synth. I searched this thread for mono vs. poly comments, and I see that Urs says that a poly option may not be viable on today's CPUs.

Other than the purpose of this being to EMULATE precisely as possible a retro synth, are there any other challenges/restrictions that keep this from being polyphonic? In other words, are there additional programming concerns or could it simply be "switched" from mono to poly?

Thanks!

fourthmanfire wrote:Pardon the possible stupid question, but I see RePro's gonna be a mono synth. I searched this thread for mono vs. poly comments, and I see that Urs says that a poly option may not be viable on today's CPUs.

Other than the purpose of this being to EMULATE precisely as possible a retro synth, are there any other challenges/restrictions that keep this from being polyphonic? In other words, are there additional programming concerns or could it simply be "switched" from mono to poly?

Thanks!
I am wondering that as well. This in 4 to 6 polyphonic mode... :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Luckily there are some ways to do so. However difficult.

fourthmanfire wrote:Pardon the possible stupid question, but I see RePro's gonna be a mono synth. I searched this thread for mono vs. poly comments, and I see that Urs says that a poly option may not be viable on today's CPUs.

CPU isn't that much of a concern anymore, but a poly version would still use a lot.

The main technical issue is that mono synths work slightly different in some detail. A "drone" mode for instance is impossible for a poly synth - all voices would play at once in sheer cacophony. Mono synths offer a different set of options than poly synths. Whenever Diva doesn't act like a mono synth it's pretty much always because she's also a poly synth.

There's also a semantical issue: If this were polyphonic, people would expect it to sound like either a Prophet 5, a T8 or a Prophet 600. It however doesn't sound like either. While those differences may be subtle, they may have a fundamental impact on perception.

Lastly, this is a synth with very extreme modulation options. It excels at what mono synths excel at. It's a mono synth. It's polyphonic brethren typically have constrained modulation options in comparison. With those constrains we could save CPU and make a proper poly synth. That's however a whole project on its own, and we don't want to spend another quarter just to make it a poly synth.

Cheers,

- Urs

Fantastic UI! Eager for this one.... -M

Looks great but would like a download button on it. :D

Jax Pok wrote:Looks great but would like a download button on it. :D
You have to click the SAVE icon! :clown:

May be it's OK to just implement future and not care about CPU cycles? Gosh, processors are really cheap now, way cheaper than modulars or hw polysynths.
Murderous duck!

Return to “u-he”