[ANN] Repro-1

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

beely wrote:
Urs wrote:I won't say much about out plans, but it is about giving users more control over part tolerances, among other things.
Ooh yeah, an "Age/Condition" knob, where 0 is factory fresh new and shiny, working 100%, and 10 is "I found this flood damaged piece of crap rotting in the dumpster"... :D
:tu:
Rekkerd.org the latest news on audio plugins, sample libraries & virtual instruments, synth presets & more.
Don't click here if you can't control yourself!

analoguesamples909 wrote:Urs is there much difference between the Pro One and Prophet 5 filter?
I would have to check the service manuals.

The Rev 1 & 2 Prophet 5s are definitely different because of the SSM 2040 chip used in those, as opposed of the CEM 3320. I'm not entirely sure about the Rev 3 ones. The circuitry can't be the same entirely because the Pro One has a few passive potentiometers where the Prophet 5 needs amps controlled by Sample & Holds fed by the DAC. That's for the preset system and voice control, naturally.

What I noticed about the Pro One is the absence of a DC blocking capacitor before the filter and the tiny DC blocker after it, set at 1Hz. One can get quite obvious DC clicks with short envelopes on filter cutoff because the bleed through of the cutoff gain is considerable.

We might ask people to send us some samples form their Pro Ones, with special settings. Not sure if we need that.

Another interesting aspect is that the non-linearities in the CEM/SSM cascade filters are placed differently than, say, your typical Moog ladder. For a while I thought they were simple active one pole filters with negative feedback, but they are not. The positive port of the OTA is grounded and the lowpass input signal is summed into the negative feedback. I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere when people talk about modeling these filters.

Anyhow... it's a long way to go. We've received first requests to be included in the beta team... that's not going to happen for another few months.

Urs wrote:
i think its better to make paid for upgrade for Diva :)
The current research *is* for Diva and Zebra. But from where we're at, it's also not a big deal to make a full product. It would be stupid of us not to :-)
That's really good news. I think lot of us would prefer less plugins with more options rather than more plugins with less.
So It would be nice to at least see new Osc and Filter models in Diva and Zebra.

P.S. Wanted to ask: any plans to add drive to Diva or this is abandoned for now?
Murderous duck!

david.beholder wrote:P.S. Wanted to ask: any plans to add drive to Diva or this is abandoned for now?
Not abandoned. Just needs to be thought about carefully to make fit with whatever else we might add.

Will you try to model the hardware synth while it's on fire, like the Spectrasonics piano?

Oooh, yep, another surprise from you guys. When it gets here I'm ready to play. :D

I've owned a Pro-One since 1981. I almost never play it anymore because there is a lot of unwanted noise that came about with age. Because of this, it only sounds acceptable to me if I hook it up to my Line 6 PodXT: where added (modeled) guitar amp distortion helps hide the unwanted Pro-One noise. From what I understand there was a lot of Pro-One on the album ("Upstairs at Eric's) by the Yaz that had the song "Situation" (my favorite Yaz song). How Vince Clark got such a huge sound from a Pro-One is a mystery to me, though recently I completed a song (though I never go public with my music unless I get a formal U.S. copyright first) that has some Hive bass synth with some added (non-u-he) delay and reverb combination that came surprisingly close to that Yaz bass synth sound. I would be very intrigued by a Pro-One add on to Diva if feasible. And I would be interested in being a tester if it works with Mac OSX 10.6.8 (thank you for future support of this!!!) and Cubase LE4. Here is the Yaz tune "Situation":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D3udbawA1Q

Hopefully Re-Pro-1 will not be a distraction from finishing Zebra 3. This may be completely unfeasible, though maybe Re-Pro stuff could be incorporated into Zebra 3.
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

aaron aardvark wrote:
Hopefully Re-Pro-1 will not be a distraction from finishing Zebra 3. This may be completely unfeasible, though maybe Re-Pro stuff could be incorporated into Zebra 3.
As i understood this is the plan, researching filter algorythms wich will be available for Z3 and other synths then.

aaron aardvark wrote:Hopefully Re-Pro-1 will not be a distraction from finishing Zebra 3.
RePro is part of the Z3 development process. We're researching CPU vs. quality tradeoffs of filter modeling methods. We're also researching a more accurate approach to oscillator modeling beyond the standard "Blep" methods.

If by doing so, another product pops out, then we'll take an extra two weeks of distraction into account - we're running a business after all and a new product minimizes risks :clown:

Hey,

if I understand correctly, RePro-1 is challenging both because of the filter algorithms and because of the modulations the oscillators can experience. Although this may seem little related, is there any chance that Bazile could benefit from this research on oscillator mods? I am craving for a possibility to hard-sync Bazille oscs while applying FM and PD.

Thanks in advance!

Moscom

moscom_electronics wrote:Hey,

if I understand correctly, RePro-1 is challenging both because of the filter algorithms and because of the modulations the oscillators can experience. Although this may seem little related, is there any chance that Bazile could benefit from this research on oscillator mods? I am craving for a possibility to hard-sync Bazille oscs while applying FM and PD.

Thanks in advance!

Moscom
Well, getting the sound right is not really that big of a challenge. The actual challenge is making it fast.

Sync on Bazille oscillators... that's very overkill-ish to be honest. One would have to smooth out the step, the first and the possibly the second derivative. This would cause latency... not sure how well it would work.

Urs, thanks for the explanation. I like how you do not refrain from giving technical clues as to what may limit the implementation of a given feature :)

So...are we looking at a Synthex module for Diva then?

You can get a sort of "FM sync" effect in Bazille by modualting Fractal Resonance (which is basically self-sync with a windowing function, at least from an enduser perspective) with an audio-rate signal.

In fact, because the resonance waveforms in the PD oscillator are based on synced sine waves, you can actually "sync the sync", that is, take the result of one sync-interrupted waveform from the PD oscillator and apply the same process again via Fractal Resonance. Just don't expect it to sound analog :)

Very excited to test the new u-he synth!
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Urs wrote:
aaron aardvark wrote:Hopefully Re-Pro-1 will not be a distraction from finishing Zebra 3.
RePro is part of the Z3 development process. We're researching CPU vs. quality tradeoffs of filter modeling methods. We're also researching a more accurate approach to oscillator modeling beyond the standard "Blep" methods.

If by doing so, another product pops out, then we'll take an extra two weeks of distraction into account - we're running a business after all and a new product minimizes risks :clown:
I thought I read this entire thread, but apparently not carefully enough. OK, that is cool, thank you Urs for replying! Assuming the effects of Z3 will be at least as good as Z2, I hope having some Zebra effects with the Re-Pro-1 will not be too much of a CPU load.
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

Return to “u-he”