Anything new coming to HIVE soon?

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just wondering what is on the cards,if you can say.

FM/PM, sync, waves?
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Repro-1 is on the cards, nothing else from the looks of it, at the moment. :D

As we're redesigning the UI we might sneak some other improvements in. Not sure yet what this is going to look like.

However, nothing like it is likely to happen this quarter anymore.

Urs wrote:As we're redesigning the UI we might sneak some other improvements in. Not sure yet what this is going to look like.

However, nothing like it is likely to happen this quarter anymore.
Ok, thanks for the quick answer
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Aiynzahev wrote:Just wondering what is on the cards,if you can say.

FM/PM, sync, waves?
I was wondering the same thing for a very long time. Iam a total Hive maniac and Iam so addicted to it that I can't really switch to any other synth. At the sime time i feel kind of limited after months of making sounds.

I know there is a very small chance for this to happen but it would be fantastic if some kind of expanded version of Hive was created. Native Instruments created expanded versions of replica delay (XT) and supercharger compressor (GT) for people who want to go a bit deeper with settings.

We still have space for new tabs inside the honeycomb of Hive. Idea of having there FM diagram or wave editor gives me chills.

FM and sync were left out for CPU reasons, weren't they? Is there a way to add those without immediately causing the CPU requirements to raise on every patch?

If more complex waveforms are added do they have to be sweepable? How does that affect CPU usage I wonder?

At the very least, some additional waveforms could be added

knowix wrote:FM and sync were left out for CPU reasons, weren't they? Is there a way to add those without immediately causing the CPU requirements to raise on every patch?
Yes - by creating separate version of Hive with new extension

Maykie wrote:
knowix wrote:FM and sync were left out for CPU reasons, weren't they? Is there a way to add those without immediately causing the CPU requirements to raise on every patch?
Yes - by creating separate version of Hive with new extension
By adding those possibilities without osc unison

"The Hive Hexagon Thread" was generating a bit too much hope...

hollo wrote:"The Hive Hexagon Thread" was generating a bit too much hope...
It came about because our Youtube commercial showed a "Morph" tab - which was discussed as a possibility during the making, but then got dropped because the design was too complicated. However, it was in the video and we didn't see it until after the video was out :dog:

Urs wrote:
hollo wrote:"The Hive Hexagon Thread" was generating a bit too much hope...
It came about because our Youtube commercial showed a "Morph" tab - which was discussed as a possibility during the making, but then got dropped because the design was too complicated. However, it was in the video and we didn't see it until after the video was out :dog:
Great expectations and simply buying those synths on that, leads to great dissapointments... showing possible features as a marketing "con" is just plain deception. Thats why one should buy a synth for what it is at the moment you bought it!! I really enjoy the Uhe Synths I have.. ie Ace and Tyrell.. I loved Diva and sold it to buy Hive and when I realise that all the marketing was just bluff I took the proceeds from the Diva sale and bought a synth that had the features that was needed at that time instead of waiting on pie in the sky features that were fantized about. That being said, I would still like to re buy Diva now that I have a much more powerfull machine and Hive too, not for the "promised but forgotten and dropped unimplemented features" but for the current strengths and purposes.... ironically one of the Synths that helps me to ward off the Gas attack with Hive is actually a magware synthedit synth.. yes it has its quirks too but it helps me to save up the cash to buy Hive!!

Yes, there's a chance to do this.

The reason we didn't want to include those features were concerns that it's possible to create very CPU hungry patches. Unfortunately some evocative people have selective perception - when they test a synth by browsing presets, a single CPU hogging preset is enough to share their outrage. Otoh we've learned that they share their outrage no matter what, so I guess we shouldn't give much of a damn if they have another bone to pick up :lol:
If more complex waveforms are added do they have to be sweepable? How does that affect CPU usage I wonder?
Well Hive's oscillators were result of a project where I tried to improve Zebra's oscillators for faster unison playback and better unison detuning. If we make them sweepable it would be similar to Zebra's oscillator performance, which I think is quite good.

However, there are also other concepts and synthesis types that we could deploy. I tested the waters for a pad type synthesis early on, which got mixed results. I might try that again with a different demo. This was the demo from 2014:

http://www.u-he.com/downloads/Hive/HiveBell.mp3

(note: this was done with an alpha that had an experimental pad synthesis engine on board... it's been sitting orphaned on my drive since)

We'll see... I'm quite hungry for some Hive development, maybe we can leverage some of the things we're doing for Zebra3 by packaging them into a more accessible and immediate interface for Hive.

surreal wrote:showing possible features as a marketing "con" is just plain deception.
You make it sound like we did that deliberately... unfortunately the 3D model was done in parallel to the actual development and not always up to date with all feature changes. It was a stupid mistake really... the trouble we got for it was certainly worth more than the number of sales we got from people it "decepted" into buying.

Urs wrote:
surreal wrote:showing possible features as a marketing "con" is just plain deception.
You make it sound like we did that deliberately... unfortunately the 3D model was done in parallel to the actual development and not always up to date with all feature changes. It was a stupid mistake really... the trouble we got for it was certainly worth more than the number of sales we got from people it "decepted" into buying.
Maybe it was not done deliberately as you say.. but when the mistake was realised I feel you should have maybe taken either the challenge to actually implement what was shown.... I mean seriously... if it worked on a video while you unintentionally filmed it. . Surely It would work in real life? No?....

Or pull the video. ... and no I am not refering to 3d imaging...

Urs this is not an attack on you or on your integrity.. I trust you and have great respect for you and your products.... I love using them but...... it leaves a reputation tarnished and ultimately a decline in business when these mistakes are slipped through and swept under the carpet..... I do beta testing and it would be fatal to the development of products and their developers if I was reckless to let an unimplemented possible feature "slip through" in a video or an audio demo and create an expectation that x product will have that feature... that said it becomes far worse when a developer does the same by mistake... creates expectations. ..generates marketing buzz.. sells a promise so that people buy a promise and not a product.. and then Epic Fail when the promise is defered or denied...

Look at the Hexagon thread... people seriously made genuine suggestions and even got response from you that jip that can be implemented etc.... now you realise that your fingers are burning.. now the suggestion is just to "take away" the open hexagon just because nothing will be implemented? Surely you have your product development plans with features in place for the next 3 years for all your products? Shoot straight from the hip and just say NO and be solid about it... yes I see that lately you are starting to take a more solid stance which is not good for sales but it is great for customer confidence... and a confident customer will always be a returning customer!! Anyway I really do enjoy the Uhe synths for what they are at the moment and inspite of the challenges that I read between the lines of your communication here at kvr I just want to encourage you to continue with the great work your company is doing!! :clap:

Return to “u-he”