Diva Delay...

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

any plan for tempo sync. Really missing that on this plug in, in 2017. Sure I have delays elsewhere but it would be nice to have this really important function to be built in.

Diva's delay is actually *only* tempo synced... 1/16th to 16/16th per L, C and R channel.

(or what do you mean?)

I think because it shows values as real numbers and not note lengths it would be an easy incorrect conclusion to draw.
Tbh I do hope at some point u-he takes its entire code base to allow more common values in delay times, frequencies etc etc etc :-)
rsp
sound sculptist

Synthman2000 wrote:any plan for tempo sync. Really missing that on this plug in, in 2017. Sure I have delays elsewhere but it would be nice to have this really important function to be built in.
Uh, it IS tempo sync'd! Input whole number values to get various "beat" divisions, etc...(hold shift for fine-tuning to specific values)

Which all adds up to: Please read the manual! :-)

"Left / Center / Right delay times across the stereo field, always relative to host tempo (BPM). Integer values are exact semiquavers (quarter-beats), and Center defines the feedback time. This configuration is unusual – it lets you set a repeat rate without hearing that particular “tap” (simply turn Center Vol down to zero)"

You could've used the term "16th notes" instead of "quarter-beats", though ;) "quarter-beats" can be easily misread/misunderstood as quarter notes, which obviously isn't the case.

True. My excuse: The Diva manual was a rush job. Maybe I should spend a couple of days improving it.

yeah i know the feeling.
the Diva delay is fine if you have a bit of free time to sit there guessing and listening. but when you just want an 1/8th triplet or a 1/4 dotted, it takes me out of the right brain for too long, as I sit there figuring shit out - EVERY TIME. It's annoying, like the 1-100 parameter thing. I just don't understand why U-he don't just use Hz and standard note lengths. Stubborn dev syndrome.

ALSO: would be good if there was a button to activate each delay channel, without needing to turn the volume to 0, then remember where you were again.

Honestly, most of the time i just use another delay unit. The Diva delay is generally just too time consuming and annoying.

Howard wrote:True. My excuse: The Diva manual was a rush job. Maybe I should spend a couple of days improving it.
Honestly, I didn't get the Diva delay times until I used the AIKO skin, then it suddenly all made sense. Instead of saying "Integer values are exact semiquavers (quarter-beats)" you may want to try explaining it in more common terms like, "A setting of 1.0 equates to a 16th note, 2.0 equates to an 8th note, 4.0 a quarter note, 8.0 a half note, and 16.0 a whole note, with dotted values at 6.0 and 12.0 relatively."

sqigls wrote:the Diva delay is fine if you have a bit of free time to sit there guessing and listening.
Except that you don't have to guess, you just have to learn once. The time settings in Diva's delay don't restrict values to certain multiples of 16ths and triplets, and are therefore better IMHO (apologies, Hive...). If you truly master it once, the penny should drop and you should appreciate the advantages.

Say you want a ping-pong with a quarter plus an 8th note triplet in one channel, and 7/16ths in the other. You must admit that's quite a complicated "request", and as far as I know you can't do it at all in most other synths. In Diva you would set 'Left' to 4 + (4/3) = 5.33, then 'Center' and 'Right' both to 7.00. Easy-peasy. After you've learned that, of course you can start experimenting with different 'Center' values ;-)

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:Instead of saying "Integer values are exact semiquavers (quarter-beats)" you may want to try explaining it in more common terms like, "A setting of 1.0 equates to a 16th note, 2.0 equates to an 8th note, 4.0 a quarter note, 8.0 a half note, and 16.0 a whole note, with dotted values at 6.0 and 12.0 relatively."
Thanks for the tip - good advice! :tu: Also a conversion table including regular triplets and dotted values might be useful for beginners.

Howard wrote:
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:Instead of saying "Integer values are exact semiquavers (quarter-beats)" you may want to try explaining it in more common terms like, "A setting of 1.0 equates to a 16th note, 2.0 equates to an 8th note, 4.0 a quarter note, 8.0 a half note, and 16.0 a whole note, with dotted values at 6.0 and 12.0 relatively."
Thanks for the tip - good advice! :tu: Also a conversion table including regular triplets and dotted values might be useful for beginners.
Agreed! A conversion table would be best.

FET's/Urs' explanation is good. I just hope I remember it the next time I fiddle with delay times. For whatever silly reason, I typically look at the Left, Center, and Right knobs and think it is volume of the delay. If u-he could squeeze in the text TIME, or 1/16's, it would be a lot more intuitive for me. I never struggle with this issue in Zebra.
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

Howard wrote:
sqigls wrote:the Diva delay is fine if you have a bit of free time to sit there guessing and listening.
Except that you don't have to guess, you just have to learn once. The time settings in Diva's delay don't restrict values to certain multiples of 16ths and triplets, and are therefore better IMHO (apologies, Hive...). If you truly master it once, the penny should drop and you should appreciate the advantages.

Say you want a ping-pong with a quarter plus an 8th note triplet in one channel, and 7/16ths in the other. You must admit that's quite a complicated "request", and as far as I know you can't do it at all in most other synths. In Diva you would set 'Left' to 4 + (4/3) = 5.33, then 'Center' and 'Right' both to 7.00. Easy-peasy. After you've learned that, of course you can start experimenting with different 'Center' values ;-)
but it ALWAYS takes me out of the right brain. It sucks.
It not just "explain it for beginners", i'm sure there are plenty of long time users like myself who feel the same way. The delay is not really inviting or intuitive to use.

Hz values and standard note lengths, that's all you need to do.

I like how it's done in the Plugmon skin, where the delay times are set with sliders which display note lengths along the path.

Return to “u-he”