Repro-5 public beta (Repro V1.1)

Official support for: u-he.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Repro

Nah, I don't think he's currently in the mood to talk about it.

Alright, if anyone has things to say about Gunnar's take, please PM me.

I think the RePro package is a great deal. Add Diva and most of your analogue needs will be more than covered. In another life, the Prophet was great due to its polyphony and ability to store programs. Working with that and a certain temperamental Australian 8 bit sampler, a good third of the sound design was in the outboard processing.

U-he products are excellent and represent the state of the art. But, you can’t please everyone. So maybe no more emulations for a while.

AF

(edited for bass-ackwards spelling)
Last edited by QLNE on Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A short summary of my experiences with Repro-5 this week:

Good news is that since Monday i have used the Repro-5 64-bit VST2 in Windows 10 64-bit and Live 9.7.5 64-bit every day for some hours and did not notice a single crash yet.
CPU use is high but with multicore support enabled i did not notice audio dropouts yet (i5-3350P CPU).

Sound wise Repro-5 is indeed awesome (i admit it is indeed really better than Arturia Prophet that i used for more than 10 years now...) and the advanced features currently included (e.g. more voices, voice panning, velocity/aftertouch support, effects, etc.) are a welcome addition.
While besides other real analog synths i never used/owned a real Prophet 5 my impression is that Repro-5 "feels" like a real analog polysynth and/or like a real instrument where you could forget it is "just" a plugin.

Soon i'll also try to check it in some other hosts (including 64-bit AAX in Pro Tools 12.8.1) and also the NKS presets support with my NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1 keyboard.

After i finished re-programming the 40 original P5 factory presets (based on patch sheets, audio demos and patches in Arturia Prophet V3) i will also continue doing my own patches from scratch.
Last edited by Ingonator on Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Urs and team, I've always admired your work, but this might be my very favorite synth you've made to date! I could get lost in this endlessly. This is truly an incredible achievement, and it's running flawlessly on my system.

I will say, though, that for my tastes, many of the factory presets are very processed / modulated, and are largely not the kind of (perhaps cliche) sounds I expect from a P5 when I think of one, so I made a couple of quick naive pads (click to download) that transport me back to the 80s for fun. Enjoy!

Again - I'm absolutely floored by this plugin. Wow.
Shane McFee
CEO/CTO - Kazrog

Oh hi there, Shane! :)

A kind compliment from another great developer! Quite generous of you, Shane. And very timely, I might add. Emperor has been in rather low spirits recently.

And thank you for the patches!

While besides other real anlog synths i never used/owned a real Prophet 5 my impression is that Repro-5 "feels" like a real analog polysynth and/or like a real instrument where you could forget it is "just" a plugin.
Yes, I've definitely felt that too playing this thing. Being a software synth, it's dangerously analogue. It gets you fooled at times.
After i finished re-programming the 40 original P5 factory presets (based on patch sheets, audio demos and patches in Arturia Prophet V3) i will also continue doing my own patches from scratch
Thank you, Ingo! You're doing a great job for KVR community, for its "synth head division", most definitely.

Spent some more time with Repro 5 and made a bunch of presets. Ended up doing an instrumental Synthpop track. 14 instances of Repro 5 was maximum this time (Mac pro 2x 6 core 3,46 mhz). It really sounds much better than my Prophet 08 did ;-)

https://youtu.be/akeU_hTyBWc

I also caved and bought this. It's just too good to pass up for the $99 price.

:tu:
Last edited by V0RT3X on Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:47 am, edited 5 times in total.
:borg:

I don't know. The only answer I can come up with is that it is somehow actually analog. :o

Wanted to see what it's pads are like. Here's a short sample:

Red Planet Blues

Factory presets with no tweaking. No external effects or EQ. Studio One's stock limiter for loudness.

PAD TUC Choir Strings
PAD HS Little Blue Planet
PAD TUC Drone One
LEAD TUC Glass Pling
CHORD HS Space Morning (Gong)

Greggers wrote:A kind compliment from another great developer! Quite generous of you, Shane. And very timely, I might add. Emperor has been in rather low spirits recently.
Wow, well I'm honored to be considered "another great developer" in the same context as Urs, who is essentially superhuman in my estimation.

And I went back in the thread to see what you were talking about and wow, some serious trolling going on in this thread. If you don't realize that this is one of the best plugins ever made already, something is wrong with you.

In any case, I just bought it and will be using it all the time! :phones:
Greggers wrote:And thank you for the patches!
Of course! I'm sure most will consider them basic and obvious, but for me this sort of sound is why the P5 is such a great synth - it doesn't need any fancy seasoning to sound incredible.
Shane McFee
CEO/CTO - Kazrog

Hmm I haven't read through all 48 (!) pages but I seem to be experiencing maxed out CPU usage in Logic Pro X on OS X 10.11.6. (modest 2.5GHz quadcore iMac with 20Gb RAM) I have multithreading set for playback tracks and cores set to auto.

When I play the project and switch the Repro-5 track on (not unmute, but switch it on from an off state), the CPU meter jumps to 100% and all playback stops immediately with the overload dialog. I had two dueling Repro-5's behaving just fine earlier in the project but there was less going on. Must be something about either the patch I made or about the combination of things playing together that is too much for the CPU (which is not that much TBH).

What's maybe more concerning is that CPU usage sometimes stays pegged at 100% for 10-30 seconds (sometimes much longer) after playback has stopped and then the whole project just behaves really badly until I quit. Activity monitor shows up to 121% CPU usage.

After multiple tests turning on and off different tracks/combos, only the Repro-5 track causes this sudden spike. Known issue?

Greggers wrote: Speaking of Memorymoog, anyone so far has found Gunnare's attempt at it to be a fair representation of the hardware?
Nothing but a bog standard synth edit creation from a bygone age. Certainly nothing like a Memorymoog. It's not even close.
Urs wrote:
Garrincha wrote:Maybe Urs can chime in as he has a Memorymoog I think.
I have a Memorymoog, but never tried any emulation of it...
And you've never been tempted to give it the U-he treatment? :o

Urs wrote:
Garrincha wrote:Maybe Urs can chime in as he has a Memorymoog I think.
I have a Memorymoog, but never tried any emulation of it...
And you've never been tempted to give it the U-he treatment? :o[/quote]

I'd love to see them do a Jupiter 6 emulation next if they did another vintage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjTJQZKP1Lk
:borg:

Nice. My personal preferred choice of Jupiter synth.
U-he should do the code for both and then sell hardware controllers for each one.
Who wouldn't want 1:1 sound and all the buttons, sliders and knobs to tweak with?

Maybe if Urs win euro lotto he can indulge us ;)

Return to “u-he”