Diva vs. Repro-5

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

All 3 of them: Diva, R1, R5 - they are all incredible.
Murderous duck!

I dont know why, maybe its only me, but every time i play Diva i feel it lacks Clarity in the sound, like it misses clean high frequencies, same like Zebra 2. But Hive, RePro, Bazille does not.

i have Diva, i have Hive, i have Ace

i cant afford repro right now.... :cry:

So i'll just have learn to simulate Prophet 5 sounds with what i have.... :help:

At least i found my Pro53 plugin on the weekend... that should suffice for a time... :borg:

i think? :?

Elektronisch wrote:I dont know why, maybe its only me, but every time i play Diva i feel it lacks Clarity in the sound, like it misses clean high frequencies
Tons of vintage analogs are exactly the same there.

EvilDragon wrote:
Elektronisch wrote:I dont know why, maybe its only me, but every time i play Diva i feel it lacks Clarity in the sound, like it misses clean high frequencies
Tons of vintage analogs are exactly the same there.
This is something i dont understand a bit, the newly released ROland Cloud plugin emulations supposed to emulate Juno and Jupiter do sound cleaner at the top end then Diva in mentioned "modes". Also when using JP8080 Oscillator with Diva's filters it doesnt sound as bright and clean as original (at least from my memory at collegues studio).

So i am a bit confused here :)

Elektronisch wrote:This is something i dont understand a bit, the newly released ROland Cloud plugin emulations supposed to emulate Juno and Jupiter do sound cleaner at the top end then Diva in mentioned "modes". Also when using JP8080 Oscillator with Diva's filters it doesnt sound as bright and clean as original (at least from my memory at collegues studio).
Unlike the Prophets, most vintage synths have their maximum filters cutoff frequency at about 20-25kHz. Some do at even at 16kHz, like the SEM.

The corner frequency (aka cutoff) of a lowpass filter is commonly referred to as the frequency of 3dB attenuation per filter pole. A 4-pole, 24dB/Oct, lowpass filter has a 12dB attenuation at the corner frequency. So if we calibrate the filter to always close at 20kHz, we already have a 12 dB reduction at 20 kHz and approximately 3dB at 10kHz. This is of course audible, but very common in the synths we chose as reference for Diva. When she came out, there were many examples posted where Diva still sounded "too bright" (!) for the reference hardware. We had loads of feature requests for a more "muffled" sound to get a more realistic vintage feel (but of course, there was also often the opposite request)

Prophets OTOH go to 70+kHz when pushed to extremes. That's the difference you hear. It's also the reason why modelling the CEM 3320 was in a whole different league than modelling your classic transistor ladder.

- Urs

...and there you have it, from the horse's mouth. :)

Urs wrote:
Elektronisch wrote:This is something i dont understand a bit, the newly released ROland Cloud plugin emulations supposed to emulate Juno and Jupiter do sound cleaner at the top end then Diva in mentioned "modes". Also when using JP8080 Oscillator with Diva's filters it doesnt sound as bright and clean as original (at least from my memory at collegues studio).
Unlike the Prophets, most vintage synths have their maximum filters cutoff frequency at about 20-25kHz. Some do at even at 16kHz, like the SEM.

The corner frequency (aka cutoff) of a lowpass filter is commonly referred to as the frequency of 3dB attenuation per filter pole. A 4-pole, 24dB/Oct, lowpass filter has a 12dB attenuation at the corner frequency. So if we calibrate the filter to always close at 20kHz, we already have a 12 dB reduction at 20 kHz and approximately 3dB at 10kHz. This is of course audible, but very common in the synths we chose as reference for Diva. When she came out, there were many examples posted where Diva still sounded "too bright" (!) for the reference hardware. We had loads of feature requests for a more "muffled" sound to get a more realistic vintage feel (but of course, there was also often the opposite request)

Prophets OTOH go to 70+kHz when pushed to extremes. That's the difference you hear. It's also the reason why modelling the CEM 3320 was in a whole different league than modelling your classic transistor ladder.

- Urs
Thank you :)

krankyone wrote: I don't have either one, so I'm trying to decide.
They both have demos and only you know what you like....so...... :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Excellent explanation. Thanks, Urs!

Urs wrote:
Prophets OTOH go to 70+kHz when pushed to extremes. That's the difference you hear.

Hear?

AnX wrote:
Urs wrote:
Prophets OTOH go to 70+kHz when pushed to extremes. That's the difference you hear.

Hear?
Yeah that's what I was wondering. How does one hear the different between 20-25 khz and 70+ khz? Isn't that way out of human hearing?

You don't hear the fundamental frequencies at such hig frequencies but you do possibly hear the harmonics.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

Ofcourse 70khz you cant but +1 to 3khz over 20khz is possible depending on each individual and how ears are "fcked up" or wore off wich can be due to many factors like age, constantly exposed to loud sounds, not wearing ear protection at gig's (i always wear myself) ect.

As for the original question, what about Bazille? It may not be based on a real synth, but you might like it best. It beats all the rest for me. Although it has alot of very digital functions, I think it does analog sounds quite well. Very rolandish I would say. Brighter than the others. Plus having the filters able to be in parallel (and more filter options) I think it's the most versatile. But you can certainly use it as a straight forward VA and sounds great. Most of the stuff I liked with Diva I like more with Bazille. I'm quite happy even just with BazilleCM, but if/when Bazille finally gets 48 note bend range, I'll probably upgrade to that.

Return to “u-he”