Multicore threads

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello. I have built a new system with an Intel Core i7 8700K, which is a 6-core 12-threads CPU. Does it make sense to switch the 'Multicore threads' setting from 4 (default) to 6 then?

Yorrrrrr wrote:Hello. I have built a new system with an Intel Core i7 8700K, 6-core 12-threads CPU. Does it make sense to switch the 'Multicore threads' setting from 4 (default) to 6 then?
Don't change it unless you need to. If you still experience performance problems, say, if you have 5 or more instances open, try reducing the number or expanding it.

The tradeoff for fewer cores is more work on those cores but overall less CPU. The tradeoff for more cores is overall more CPU consumption due to the house keeping, even though each core gets to work less.

However, with 6 or more cores a machine is usually powerful enough to not expose any perceivable difference between the settings.

OK, that's a great explanation. I'll leave it at 4, and if there is need when using multiple instances, i'll adjust accordingly. Thank you Urs.

Return to “u-he”