Satin flanger - latency and range ms modulation?

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Satin in flanger mode has ~20ms latency. And unfortunately the Range ms knob is not accessible for host automation (but you can map it to MIDI I think).

I think the flanger in Satin sound outstanding! Especially when you tweak/modulate the 'Range ms' knob in realtime.

I would love to use this thing as a real time effect (so very plugin latency). I guess this is not possible?

I would love an internal LFO or at least host automation for the 'Range ms' knob as modulation this parameter sounds just great. Is there a technical reason for the current behavior or is it possible to enhance this?

The range mode sets the latency. Some very popular plug-in hosts will crash when the latency changes *while* processing. In order to make the range knob automatable we would have to default to a fixed, very large latency (details not in my head) even if range is typically set to only a few ms. That would defeat the purpose. This is why it isn't possible to modulate the Range knob on the fly :)

All right, I understand the issue. What a pity :)

But it works pretty fine here when I just tweak the Range ms knob in the Satin UI via mouse.

Satins flanger mode would be easily my first flanger choice ITB when I could use it with lower latency (the current 20ms plugin latency is just too high for real time) and automatable Range ms.

Please note this as feature wish even when it will never be implemented because of technical limitations.

In the meantime I will just open Satin-flanger mode from time to time to get some of the sound and keep dreaming about this in real time. :-)

Hmm I guess this is too edge case to implement, but what about user definable setting for Range ms in the preferences? Currently it's 0-20ms and the Plugin latency is ~20ms.

I think a e.g. 0-8ms range would be a nice option for example, as you would be possible to think at least about using it in real time. I guess the plugin latency would be around 8ms in this case.

I mostly used it in the 4-8 ms range as far as I remember, so I would set it to 7ms or 8 ms range for example. But when I like it as a mixing effect I could change that value, reload the plugin and have a larger range again with higher latency.

ps: Just in this moment I have a nice flanger setting with just 2.8 ms Range ms. I just modulate the 'manual Flange' fader via mouse and it sounds great.

When my asumption is true about the resulting plugin latency, it would be around 3.3ms in this example, which we could call real time. This would be a nice possibility.

pps: I mapped an external LFO (sine wave with some added jitter for more interesting modulation) to the 'manual Flange' slider in Satin and tweak all other parameters too via external controler....now the fun starts! At this point I would say enhancing this would be a great benefit for Satin.

Return to “u-he”