Diva Midi Learn Not Working

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just purchased Diva and I can't get Midi learn to work. I see how to click on a control in the Midi learn menu, but the only control messages it hears are from my controller's mod wheel. I can assign any function to the mod wheel, but it does not hear any of the faders or pots. I'm running Diva in Cubase and I'm using a Nektar Impact LX 88 controller. Help! Thanks.

dopderbeck wrote:I just purchased Diva and I can't get Midi learn to work. I see how to click on a control in the Midi learn menu, but the only control messages it hears are from my controller's mod wheel. I can assign any function to the mod wheel, but it does not hear any of the faders or pots. I'm running Diva in Cubase and I'm using a Nektar Impact LX 88 controller. Help! Thanks.
Don't use the VST3 version, use the VST2. It's something about how Steinberg assumed with VST3 that the host would handle assignments/remote control so they didn't allow for proper MIDI Learn. Apparently some companies have used some tricks to get around that, but not U-he. So if you want MIDI Learn, stick to VST2.

Or you can do the midi learn in vst2 then switch to vst3.
rsp
sound sculptist

Fixed! Brilliant! Thanks.

Also for the record.
SB's own plugins do allow midi learn in their vst3 versions.

rsp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sound sculptist

Not only that, apparently they can do a whole lot more than any other VST3... inside SB hosts, I assume?

Urs wrote:Not only that, apparently they can do a whole lot more than any other VST3... inside SB hosts, I assume?
I am a Cubendo user.

I can check Studio one Pro which I have a license for but rarely use.

Halion 6's has midi learn in Studio One Pro 3.5

rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote:
Urs wrote:Not only that, apparently they can do a whole lot more than any other VST3... inside SB hosts, I assume?
I am a Cubendo user.

rsp
Sure, we talked about this. They do it, but when we do, it's against their advice...

But what about "Assign to New Automation" and whatever "Quick Control" is?

Urs wrote:
zvenx wrote:
I am a Cubendo user.

rsp
Sure, we talked about this. They do it, but when we do, it's against their advice...

But what about "Assign to New Automation" and whatever "Quick Control" is?
:)
sigh....:)
Are you asking me what they do? Or are you suggesting the OP use those?
If it is the former, not all parameters are exposed to automation, so I believe you use that to assign it to show up for automation in cubase.
Quick Control works for all vst's afaik. In cubendo you have 8 access to Quick Controls which you set up in your general settings, and can assign them to 8 knobs/sliders on your midi controller.....
in each plugin you can there assign each parameter to one of 8 QC controls so be able to control them from your midi controller.
It is in essence like midi learn but you can only do 8 controllers...

rsp
sound sculptist

There's also a VST Control channel that allows the same thing as QC but targeted at the active instance macro knobs in the instrument list. It's basically a slightly better version of NKS but only works in Cubase. It's better only from the standpoint that any controller can be mapped to one of the knobs, unlike NKS stupidity of mapping the CC number to the parameter instead of its macro knob.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

zvenx wrote:Are you asking me what they do?
Yes.

It looks like those entries in the context menu belong to the plug-in. I'm not aware of a mechanism inside the plug-in to access automation or macro controls. To me this looks like a proprietary mechanism that only the host maker has access to, but not us. But then, this is just what it looks like to me, in the context of MIDI learn.

Urs wrote:
zvenx wrote:Are you asking me what they do?
Yes.

It looks like those entries in the context menu belong to the plug-in. I'm not aware of a mechanism inside the plug-in to access automation or macro controls. To me this looks like a proprietary mechanism that only the host maker has access to, but not us. But then, this is just what it looks like to me, in the context of MIDI learn.

Indeed they are context menu items belonging to the plugins.

rsp
sound sculptist

Urs wrote:They do it, but when we do, it's against their advice...
Typical Steinberg, heh.

Is there a trick on a Mac to get Midi Learn to work with Diva? I see how to delete what's there but not how to attach a controller (cc11 or anything else) to the "Output" knob. Using the AU version of Diva, hosting in VE Pro Server, with Digital Performer 11 as DAW.

Click the cogwheel in the upper right corner.
There's a MIDI learn page to assign MIDI controllers, and a MIDI Table page to edit them.
The user guide is your friend as well, click the u-he logo and choose "User Guide".
That QA guy from planet u-he.

Return to “u-he”