Windows VST -> Mac VST Bridge?

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

djanthonyw wrote:Virtuilisation is a lot faster with WINE than with something like Parallels or Fusion because with WINE you don't need to run the whole OS. WINE is pretty much native speed. The only thing faster would be to have the program coded for the specific OS.
ok fair enough , what you say is true of course.But still is an emulation. They may call it a non emulation , but that does not change the fact that it is. As you said it wont be a native execution . Thus a 2-3 times speed loss is reasonable amount.

Turning a VST plug from a pc to mac is no big effort. If the developer does not care for mac users , then sorry i do not care for its software. I am a noob VST developer and I care for making my plugin available even to Linux community.

You are currently reading my signature.

djanthonyw wrote:Virtualization vs. Emulation
http://blog.1530technologies.com/2006/0 ... chine.html
yes I know... I am a Crossover and Parallels user.

It's just that you said "still is an emulation" when it's not. It's a lot better than emulation.

Well, I'm working on it now, and will explore the possibilities in the next few weeks. If you're interested, I'll be basing my experimentations on dssi-vst, a linux-windows bridge that operates under similar principles. It turns out WINE is fast enough to run audio algorithms in real time, although the GUIs are a little slow. If you don't use the custom gui and just use VST parameters, the overhead turns out to be minimal. That is why receptor works so well.

logicalhippo wrote:It turns out WINE is fast enough to run audio algorithms in real time, although the GUIs are a little slow.
:shock: This is VERY interesting. Please, if you have time can you post your findings? Thanks!
stay juicy!

Well, that comment is based on experience with the dssi-vst project, which is my starting point for experimentation. Here's a cute video of someone using that wrapper: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys1s3Dk5sGo. Only time will tell how fast it will be on a mac.

kilon wrote:
djanthonyw wrote:Virtuilisation is a lot faster with WINE than with something like Parallels or Fusion because with WINE you don't need to run the whole OS. WINE is pretty much native speed. The only thing faster would be to have the program coded for the specific OS.
ok fair enough , what you say is true of course.But still is an emulation. They may call it a non emulation , but that does not change the fact that it is. As you said it wont be a native execution . Thus a 2-3 times speed loss is reasonable amount.

Turning a VST plug from a pc to mac is no big effort. If the developer does not care for mac users , then sorry i do not care for its software. I am a noob VST developer and I care for making my plugin available even to Linux community.
My experience running VSTs via Wine has shown me quite the contrary - they have performed better than on Windows. Most "hardware VST" boxes are bespoke PCs running Linux and Wine.
Music with dinner is an insult both to the cook and the violinist.

Are you running wine on linux or mac? I've been trying to get midi working via controller and IAC on mac but no luck... and the midi ports are showing up in the win32 app through wine...

Well, I got sound working. Parameter tweaking works from the DAW gui (currently all values are displayed as ".5 Units", but this is about to change), but the GUI is still on the to-do list. It's surprisingly fast for the plug-ins I tried (tapeworm and superwave p8 - neither are real resource hogs). There is a slight latency increase for windows VSTs on the order of one VST buffer, but this isn't too bad.

However, there is still the problem for deployment of how people choose which dlls to run. Since I am working on this as a hobby and do not have lots of time to devote to it, a NI Kore style interface is not really going to happen. Currently, you have to place the .dll in a particular place on the hard drive, and you read it from there. Perhaps one could imagine a scenario where you deploy something like 10 plug-ins, each looking at a different place on the disk. I'm sure there's a more clever way to do it. Any ideas?

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”