what tools for GUI design (artwork)?

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello, I'm wondering what tools are commonly used for designing the graphics for your VST(i) interfaces.

For example,

Corel Draw or PhotoPaint?
Adobe Photoshop?
PaintShop Pro?
Others?

Also, do you have any useful tips regarding workflow (i.e. layout the controls first, then worry about making it look good later? etc...?)

Many thanks!

Hi!

I use Paintshop Pro.
It is very easy to get fast results using the effects
where you only need to paint one color filled shapes
and then experiment with the effect settings.

Gives you the flex to change your mind many times
and to do fast re-arrangements using the layers
and still being able to see the "end result" at an
early stage.

//Daniel :)

For raytraciong you might also want to check out POVRay - there is a macro thing somewhere (moray if I recall correctly) that makes doing the various stage of dials and knobs pretty easy.

I don't have links but google should find them both.
Someone shot the food. Remember: don't shoot food!

I use Corel Draw 9 for basic layout and curved text and Photopaint 9 for everything else. If you want to do complex 3d knob animation you will want to use a 3d package like valley said. POV ray and the Gimp are free. I find both a real pain to master :wink: For 2d knob animation you could use Flash. Or you could always use sliders :D
I think it doesn't matter much which 2d package you use as long as it supports layering and transparency.
Also, do you have any useful tips regarding workflow (i.e. layout the controls first, then worry about making it look good later? etc...?)
Both can work when you design on a computer.
Some tips though:
The behaviour of your controls is important. Knobs vs sliders, paging, multiple windows, graying out, text in/output, etc.
Think of a basic layout based on logic and efficiency.
Then think of a concept; what should it look like, how big are my controls, now big are my text labels, how big will the gui be and can't it be smaller.
Make some rough sketches on a piece of paper. Make more then one sketch.
Part with a design that's beautiful but inefficient! Save it on your harddisk and start again.
Don't merge layers, you will always be sorry later.
Steal from others, why reinvent the wheel?
Last edited by amoebe on Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Photoshop is the best for doing 2D design imo. Particular features I like are the lighting effects plugin (when combined with channels) and the layer styles.

Layer styles are nice, because they allow late changes to be made very easily. For example, you can draw a shape, and give the layer an emboss style that sinks the shape into the layer below - adding all shadows and highlights. The shape can be modified, and color of the layer below can be easily changed without having to redo your 3D effect.

The lightingh effects can be used for more dramatic 3D lighting, but is more of a permanent design desicion.

The selections in photoshop are also very accurate. I find paintshop pro has quite poor selection accuracy - and will often antialias the selection edges when you really don't want it to. Maybe I just didn't have enough patience with it.

The only disadvantage is cost - photoshop is very expensive. And it takes a while to load.

Another package you might consider though is Macromedia's Fireworks MX. A good 2D package that is also automatable through JScript for repetative tasks(presumably COM).

if you want bang-for-the-buck you may also consider Corel essentials.

Illustrator for vector layout (everything snapped to whole points), import into Photoshop (72 dpi) (makes one point in Illustrator = 1 pixel.)

If there's any 3d rendering : POVRay...

yes and for sketching up pixel accurate stuff... MS Paint - not kidding

Realdrawpro is rather brilliant for this sort of thing. It seamlessly combines vector and bitmap art with 3D so everything is fully editable but at the same time has the complexity of surface you get with a bitmapped texture. It also does animation and rollover effects and is a whizz for buttons etc. And it has far better and more editable lighting effects than Photoshop.

http://www.mediachance.com/realdraw/index.html

Don't know why it's not better known.
Last edited by aMUSEd on Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Photoshop is the king, but for us poor guys the freebie "Gimp 1.2" is not bad. :oops:
Yes it has bugs and is only done by one guy, but you can't beat the price :D

Photoshop for 2d stuff is the most common professional application. If you want to do 3d elements you might use Discreet's Max, although it's a large program and expensive. I'm sure there are decent cheap/free alternatives of course.

One advantage of using photoshop is that you can do most stuff yourself, and if you need some professional help your artwork will be in a super-common format, so someone can step in and add their bits easily.

I'm using Photoshop Elements 2.0 which is awesome (considering the price) it's only €50 and offers almost everything you need

cheers
mully

Polychrome wrote:Photoshop for 2d stuff is the most common professional application. If you want to do 3d elements you might use Discreet's Max, although it's a large program and expensive. I'm sure there are decent cheap/free alternatives of course.

One advantage of using photoshop is that you can do most stuff yourself, and if you need some professional help your artwork will be in a super-common format, so someone can step in and add their bits easily.
hi

your right about photoshop being unbeatable and THE industry standard, however your statement about doing most stuff yourself is a bit, well, strange.

anyone can do anything themselves, the question is will it look good when your finished, are you creative enough.if your not bothered how it looks and think it should be just 'there' in a sort of 'what the heck, ive seen worse' way (theres loads of examples of this approach here at kvr), then thats no problem but obviously for pro looking interfaces your gonna need talent yourself or folk out for a pro designer.

good luck whichever way you choose :)
none

This seems like a good time to plug Art Of Illusion, a free Java-based 3D modeling/animation/rendering program written by my brother Peter. You can find it at http://www.artofillusion.org

For 3D design & rendering: Blender. It has enormous number of functions, and it renders near photorealistic pictures. Great tool for creating 3D effects for your plugin: meters, knobs, buttons....

The only disadvantage is that it takes time to learn it. Not the easiest software around.

Oh, it's open source & free!

http://www.blender3d.com

More

Not the easiest software around

way easier than Cinema.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”