why no png's in VST plugins???

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Angus_FX wrote:
- the strangest is the implementation of the mouse events. All is done inside an endless loop with an questionable Sleep() call to "freeze" the processor in intervalls. This could be easiely done more efficient under Windows.
Or indeed on any Mac since OS 9.x, but especially on OS X.

Have you guys checked the .TGA format out, incidentally? Easier to handle than PNG in some respects, but has full alpha support.
Hi Angus,

actually I found the pnglib very easy to use. I was very positively surprised about the clean-ness of the code and the good documentation. There are even some demo-projects for the PC user that have a complete image load / save functionality, that you can use as starting-point.

I have no experience with TGA though, maybe it's even more simple. But then, the PNG format is quite "powerful" and has a good lossless compression (zlib).

Best,
LaD

Angus_FX wrote:Have you guys checked the .TGA format out, incidentally? Easier to handle than PNG in some respects, but has full alpha support.
Yeah, TGA is a great veteran, and much like a predecessor of TIFF...

But it doesn't compress, right? - Might be not so good for downloads I think... or does .zip/.sit shrink them nearly as nice as png does?!?

;) Urs

TGA compresses. I've also heard it's a bit better than png in some aspects. png does much better on artificial images/graphics than it does on photography. I believe TGA may be better for real pictures.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”