best OS X version

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi

i'll purshase a new OS X computer soon to be able to develop fully on OS X.

i was wondering, what would be the best version to develop plugins that would be the most compatible?

the latest OS 10.9 ? or an older one like 10.5?

thanks

Jeff

Are you using some sort of SDK like WDL or JUCE? If so, that might make a difference.
I am using WDL, and I have a dual-boot setup with 10.6.8 and the latest OSX. I develop on 10.6.8, but I am still able to test on Mavericks. So far, this setup is working well (although there are a few things I wish I could have from the latest XCode).

hey

thank you for your answer

yes i'm using WDL. I'm glad to hear that you can make dual boot with older versions (i knew you could do that with Windows but didn't know with other OS X).

thanks it helped.

i think i'll purshase one recent to be able to test and to see if they work and still use older versions for compatibility

Jeff

Although personally i love 10.68 i'd recommend you get a new mac with 10.9. WDL-OL is working well now with with Xcode5 and the 10.5/6 sdks on 10.9

oli

heyy

nice to see that WDL-OL is up-to-date (WDL-OL rocks by-the-way)

i thought of buying maybe two macs : one 32 bits and one 64 bits, because i have issues with compiling 32 bits on a 64 bits machine.

Not a developer, so I can't comment on your question... But, I'm not sure you can install older OS X versions on Macs newer than that version. So you might want to investigate that before taking the plunge.

yes but can you put a 32 bits OS on a 64 bits machine?

I don't recall there being separate 32/64 builds of OS X, they were always sort of hybrid. Did a quick search and found this: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3773?view ... cale=en_US
So apparently, you can boot up in forced 32 bit mode. The article relates to 10.6, never tried it with 10.9 though.

you don't need two computers or dual boot. You should be able to compile 32 bit and 64bit compatible plugins fine with Xcode5 on 10.9 with the 10.5/10.6 sdks using WDL-OL, providing you didn't mess with any of the project settings. When you build a release version of one of the examples for instance there is one "fat" binary that contains both architectures.

oli

i know that but i've tried compiling on 32 bits mode (putting *everything* in 32 bits mode (architectures, schemes, etc) but it stills shows "x64" next to the name in Reaper32. AU version works ok though

so for maximum compatibility wouldn't it be better to have a 32 bits OS? that's what i thought.

use the "file" command line tool to check which architectures you built e.g.

Code: Select all

olimbp2:VST oli$ file EndlessSeries.vst/Contents/MacOS/EndlessSeries 
EndlessSeries.vst/Contents/MacOS/EndlessSeries: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures
EndlessSeries.vst/Contents/MacOS/EndlessSeries (for architecture x86_64):	Mach-O 64-bit bundle x86_64
EndlessSeries.vst/Contents/MacOS/EndlessSeries (for architecture i386):	Mach-O bundle i386

ok the result is : "Mach-O bundle i386" which i didn't expect.

so why is it showing "x64" in Reaper32? weird

well thanks anyway, you did the job as always

so i think i changed my mind i'll just purshase one Mac with the latest OS

right now i'm using VirtualBox and that's not the best option

I like 10.6.8 ( it can run in 64-bit it and still supports Rosetta ).
Free MIDI plugins and other stuff:
https://jstuff.wordpress.com
"MIDI 2.0 is an extension of MIDI 1.0. It does not replace MIDI 1.0(...)"

ion_one wrote:ok the result is : "Mach-O bundle i386" which i didn't expect.

so why is it showing "x64" in Reaper32? weird

well thanks anyway, you did the job as always

so i think i changed my mind i'll just purshase one Mac with the latest OS

right now i'm using VirtualBox and that's not the best option
check the architecture, I guess somewhere you have x86_64
Target i386 does not mean 32 bits. It means the instruction set.

yes I checked in your post, it tells you: x86_64. It means you are generating also 64 bits version

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”