vstFileSelect/ drag & drop

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Because openFileSelector() seems to be only supported by a few hosts, I implemented drag & drop for my plugin so that the user could load BMPs. I guess I could just use the Windows API directly, but felt a bit lazy about that since the drag & drop option would work just fine for now.

Anyway, now I have heard that while the plugin basically works fine using fxpansion's vst-dx wrapper, neither openFileSelector() nor drag and drop work for loading bitmaps. Does anyone else know anything about this? Is using the Windows API (or...gulp...making my own DX wrapper) the only reliable solution? Why do so few hosts support openFileSelector, anyway?

Well, I dunno if it works using the VST-DX wrapper, but I just redid the file selector using the Windows API GetOpenFileName() function. Not a lot of effort, but a bit frustrating to use more OS-specific code.

Are you using VSTGUI? If you are, you might want to take a look at the CFileSelector object - if the host doesn't provide it's own file selector (as far as I know, only Cubase/Nuendo does), it'll create it's own (and it's cross-platform compatible). I've used it in a couple of plugins now and have never had any problems...

- Niall at ndc Plugs.

:shock:

who erased my memory of that class? :oops:

i guess that's what i get from basing my current plug-in on an old plug-in which was in turn based on the old VSTGUI example included in the SDK.

thanks for the heads up.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”