beginning to learn c++ today

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

C is an obvious thing to learn if you want to learn C++. Afterall, C++ is C incremented. I don't really think Delphi is necessarially a good way into C++. If you want to learn Object Pascal, then learn Delphi. If you want to learn C++, learn C++! They are both complex languages. Each will allow you to learn object oriented programming, so learning one will make learning the other one easier, so just go for the one you'd rather learn.

You don't have to learn C first to learn C++. If you do, you will have to break a few habits when moving to C++. Unless you want to actually use C for a particular purpose (e.g. for embedded stuff), go straight for C++. Effective C++ is a good read if 'converting' from C to C++ - it points out a few things that are standard practice in C, but not so good in C++. Macros as opposed to inline functions for example.

C++ books I'd highly reccommend:

C++ primer
Effective C++
More Effective C++
Effective STL (if you want to learn the STL - a good idea, although not essential to begin with, although knowing what 'cout' is is invaluable).
Inside the C++ object model
Design Patterns: Elements of reusable object oriented design. Good for any OOP language.

there are a lot more good books on C++, and it is a very deep subject.

visit http://www.gotw.ca/ to get some tips on good programming practice. H.Stutter has also written a few books, based upon the items on this site, which are good.

I've learned a lot about Perl in the past few months. How big of a leap is it from Perl to C?

I've never written anything in perl, but I think it is very different to C. Some of the syntax looks pretty similar, and the concept of procedural programming is the same, so it will definately help that you already know another programming language.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”