HelloDAW: "Hello world" examples for VST/AU/AAX/LV2/etc plugins using Makefiles

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

VCV Rack, the Eurorack simulator

Andrew I am curious do you do all of your debugging on the command line?

For plugins, I personally just use print debugging. Attaching a debugger to Ableton Live or some lightweight host is a possibility, but I've never needed it.

what about for vcvrack?

This seems like an incredibly good reason to stick with IDE projects :-) - debuggers are so useful!

I never used lldb etc on the command line..., but if I could easily hook it up with atom/vscode etc I might switch to make files

I use GDB very infrequently for Rack, like once a week. I don't find debuggers necessary because as frank as it is to say it, I rarely write pointer and correctness bugs into my code. If you do, GDB is a fantastic package which is as fast, if not faster, than adding breakpoints in an IDE and stepping through its editor. If you think IDEs = easier debugging, you should reevaluate GDB's features. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PorfLSr3DDI for some examples.

I should note that lldb is not to the level of features as GDB yet, although that will be the case in a couple years as it has more momentum at the moment. However, it is difficult to install on MacOS due to the operating system's security-theater "protection".

hibrasil wrote: This seems like an incredibly good reason to stick with IDE projects :-) - debuggers are so useful!

I never used lldb etc on the command line..., but if I could easily hook it up with atom/vscode etc I might switch to make files
I actually just use lldb in Terminal.app and I never found it that big of a deal... but I admit I mostly ever bother with debuggers (of any type) when stuff is actively crashing and I need to track it down.

Forget about living without a debugger, I can't live without one that doesn't attach to spawned child processes automatically:)
~stratum~

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”