VSTGUI drag

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is there a way to do a drag using vstgui that anyone knows of? What I mean is not actually moving anything visually, but when a control (button, bitmap whatever) is clicked and dragged stuff is fired onto the clipboard (or whatever it is for such operations) ready to be dropped on another app.

edit: Am I looking at platform specifics here?

I could use wxWidgets but then I cant have custom sliders etc. (I believe)
"Hell is other People" J.P.Sartre

Karbon L. Forms wrote:Is there a way to do a drag using vstgui that anyone knows of? What I mean is not actually moving anything visually, but when a control (button, bitmap whatever) is clicked and dragged stuff is fired onto the clipboard (or whatever it is for such operations) ready to be dropped on another app.

edit: Am I looking at platform specifics here?

I could use wxWidgets but then I cant have custom sliders etc. (I believe)
The thing you're asking for is usually known as "drag-n-drop".

Actually there is a onDrop() method in the VST SDK, but it is -as far as I know- limited to dragging files from outside the host app onto the plug-in window. It gets passed a pointer to a list of strings, containing the file names.
However, I don't think there is a broad range of host applications supporting onDrag() out there.

The other way round, dragging items from your plug-in elsewhere, is not in the VSTSDK afaik.

So you would have to use the platform API for this anyway.

Best,
Stefan
http://www.stefan-kuhn.net
Home of Vivaldi MX and Ganymed

stefankuhn: "The thing you're asking for is usually known as "drag-n-drop".

No. You don't say! Really? Wow! "drag n drop" eh? What will they come up with next.

:D
Sorry. Sarcy bastard I am.

Yeah, it's looking like platform specifics. Don't want to do too much work on GUI until I've got this nailed.

Like all good (ahem) programmers I'm a lazy bastard looking for an easy solution.

Karbon L. Forms wrote:stefankuhn: "The thing you're asking for is usually known as "drag-n-drop".

No. You don't say! Really? Wow! "drag n drop" eh? What will they come up with next.

:D
Sorry. Sarcy bastard I am.

Yeah, it's looking like platform specifics. Don't want to do too much work on GUI until I've got this nailed.

Like all good (ahem) programmers I'm a lazy bastard looking for an easy solution.
I was just trying to help, not trying to step on your feet here.

Your post / description of the process made me think you weren't sure how it's called.

Best ;)
Stefan
http://www.stefan-kuhn.net
Home of Vivaldi MX and Ganymed

Jesus, I'd be up shit creek as a programmer if I'd never heard of DnD!

Help appreciated Stefan, was just having a laugh.

klf

x

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”