Are you a plugin nerd? VST2 DLL management…

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thank you! There's an error in the zip file URL: "The document name you requested (/PluginManager/.\PluginManager.zip) could not be found on this server. "

Once the offending .\ are removed, the file can be downloaded.
perception: the stuff reality is made of.

Seems to be your browser.
The URL in the html is http://www.familiekraft.de/PluginManage ... anager.zip

Thanks TabSel, this looks like a very useful tool. Saw the link on Image-Line Forum first.

osiris wrote:Then PLEASE upload it. Better yet - sell this to Microsoft to fix whatever crap code they've written that makes me put plugins all over the place. I like things simple and XP was great. One folder: VST Plugins. Done.

Ummmm, that's done by the author of the plugin, not the OS. The OS is just doing what the author told it to do. I've put all my plugins in one place for years. Still get some garbage in user directories still.... :?

Devon
Simple music philosophy - Those who can, make music. Those who can't, make excuses.
Read my VST reviews at Traxmusic!

Yeah, there simply seems to be nö Way to avoid the mess. I tried splitting x32 from x64 for years, managed jBridge and automap manually. But there always were things going wrong, so I ended up writing this tool, to finally provide my hosts with a well organised folder of plugins.

I know Devon, but I wasn't too happy to see basically what amounts to two directories in my system - the regular one and the x86 one. Then I read the FL 64 bit manual and it's even more confusing to me.
But you're correct. The plugins install where the author tells them because I do remember one 64 bit plug that wanted to install in the old path.
I don't know what the benefit is of having two directories in Win 7. I'm sure there's a valid reason, but I just don't get it.
And tell me, if we get 128 bit computers will we have 3 directories?

It's working great here now (after the update from friday).

Sadly (or luckily) StudioOne is sorting plugins on his own. So no big benefit here. But its working
Live! is working.
Maschine is running fine too.
Didnt try cubase, but i think it will work too.

An important thing: you have to run the vbs with admin-rights. I did it with a command-console (running as administrator). Changed the path to the pluginmanager-folder and started the vbs from there.

The big question: What do you do with vst3-plugins? Mostly they are in the same folder like the vst2-plugins. So i would have to scan the vst2-pluginfolder like before

Thx for the work.
Michael

Benefit with s1 is: you can name your plugins as you like. And automap enabled plugs aren't named "plugin (Automap)", but only "plugin"... Etc...

Vst3 arent supported. They are handled differently by hosts...

Has anyone tested this in FL Studio? This is the thing. I don't even know how you tell the difference between a VST 2/3 plugin.....

Can it be that it was all so simpler then...
Or has time rewritten every line...

updated (streamlined, more documentation)

I like the idea of this, but one thing keeps me away from it:
Most of my plugins I have already sorted in subfolders like "VST\Delay", "VST\Analogsynth" etc.
Now I would have to sort all the .ini files again. Couldn't the script use the existing folders on demand and create a directory structure for the .ini files to avoid this double work?
ImageImage

Would be possible, of course, however I won't do it.
You said "most of your plugins". What about these, you didn't sort into category folders? How should the script know that the parent folder of a dll file is a proper category, instead of a random install path?

The script will generate a .ini file per plugin in the .\cache\categories folder, where you create your category subfolders, too. It really is not much work using the windows explorer to mark several ini files and drag drop the selected files into a subfolder. To categorize, it really needs nothin more than drag drop one single ini file per plugin into a subfolder. No moving of dll files/data folders/reg entries any more. You do this once only, and change category for a plugin anytime simply by moving one single file.

I did this with 400 plugins within 5 minutes or so, and since then never bother again with installation paths of plugins...

Give it a try. There'll be nothing done to your working setup, as long as you don't set up your host to use the single host scan path created by the plugin manager... Even if you later on decide that you don't like it, simply change back to your previous hosts plugin path(s)...

Hey TabSel,

thanks for this.
I'm one of those plugin nerds (although I try To limit myself to a small setup).

But, like WOK said
WOK wrote: Organizing and sorting plugins (with tool or without) is work and requires decisions. Musicians have problems with both.... :hihi:
Greetings from Duisburg

Downloaded and will try. Thanks so much.

Let me know how you're doing

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”