Is 80's music coming back?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

No. It's not nostalgia. Nostalgia is looking back through rose-colored glasses and thinking only of the good or positive side of whatever it is and essentially being blind to even the major flaws.

I can't speak for others but I'm not looking back.
I'm enjoying it right now.
"The last man on earth doesn't miss anyone at all." - Haujobb, Faith In Chaos

Believe it or not I know what nostalgia means.

that's funny because I've been into the linndrum lately (I don't have an actual one), but have been listening to a lot of old tracks that use classic drum machines like Human Leauge, madonna, etc...

To me the 80's was the worst decade for drum sounds.

I was listening to Peter Gabriel's "So" album the other day, and on almost every song I was totally distracted by thinking "I wish they'd remake it with better drums!". Except for Mercy Street - I can live with the drum sounds on that.

Although I like some records that it features on (Kate Bush, Gabriel etc) I'm not a fan of that gated snare sound either.
Q. Why is a mouse when it spins?
A. The higher the fewer.

thecontrolcentre wrote:Believe it or not I know what nostalgia means.
I didn't mean for my reply to seem condescending.
What I suppose I mean is: Considering what nostalgia actually is, I'm confused as to why you'd say folks who are enjoying said music in the here and now are simply being nostalgic.

I'm nostalgic about the summers of '84 and '85 when I was 10 and 11 years old. I remember but choose not to focus on all that sucked, like having to go back to school or having to do chores. But I do frequently happily think about how much fun I had with this, that and the other thing. Part of that is indeed music.
But I can't really enjoy right here and now getting on the swing in the backyard, going to the mom-n-pop video rental store, playing with my Star Wars or G.I. Joe toys or whatever.
However, I can fully enjoy (perhaps even more so) music produced in the era or music that sounds like a distillation of the 80s atmosphere (that I still dig, and admittedly at least part of the reason I still dig what the 80s atmosphere is to me could be described as nostalgia), as well as enjoying it not just here and now but music of the here and now.
:shrug:

But...now it seems I'm just making something simple too complicated. :D
"The last man on earth doesn't miss anyone at all." - Haujobb, Faith In Chaos

Some people that used to make music in the 80s still make absolutely great tunes no matter what time frame it belongs to. I think you should be less prone to make music like "this" or "that", or especially "how much money could I make if I make it like this", but more like how you feel it should sound, individually, and just simply feel like only. We're not "Borg", still, eh? Nor "Vulcans". We still have emotions, or do we?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18uuczwHp78
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Do what you love with your music. :) :)
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Q. Why is a mouse when it spins?
A. The higher the fewer.

LOL - Live from the musician's asylum. Works like this will always sound fresh and original, no matter the decade! :tu: :hihi:
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

I think the better question---
Did 80's music ever leave...?
Here's to big snares and bigger hair....

And I ran..............
I ran so far away............................................

Good music, like the mullet, never goes out of style. ;-)
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

thecontrolcentre wrote:Believe it or not I know what nostalgia means.

nostalgia aint what it used to be...

BERFAB wrote:Good music, like the mullet, never goes out of style. ;-)

unlike the cod which is so passe...

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”