Is there any pitfalls to signing a record deal to a outside Uk label

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I've been offered a deal to a Record label outside the UK, is there any pitfalls to signing it, as say one in the UK where I am ?

Thanx,
Rm

Nigeria is outside of the UK.
Nothing bad ever happens there does it?
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

Signing any legal contract across jurisdictions is fraught with potential pitfalls.

Never sign a deal without advice from a legal professional. If you can't afford one, join the MU and use theirs - they are brilliant at this job and deal with these sorts of things all the time.

werp wrote:Nigeria is outside of the UK.
Nothing bad ever happens there does it?
With the large number of super rich royalty there I would be surprised if it did!

On a serious note though...I agree with the comment about taking legal advice. It might be expensive, but it will save you a lot of headaches and possibly heartaches at a later point.

Its unlikely you will make much, if any, money from any label, so i wouldnt worry too much. Read the contract carefully obviously.

I'm outside the UK and signed a single release with an UK label about 6-7 years ago...
The situation is in reverse ... there are pitfalls signing with an UK label! :P ...better put, pitfalls with indie labels...

people in the music industry , regardless of their country ,
are renowned for their honesty , and integrity ...

What label is it? Is it considered bad form to talk about it by name to others?
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Depends on what the deal is and whether the label is well known ... but getting legal advice is a good idea. In my experience, there's not much money in it. I've done releases for 3 different labels. Only one of them paid anything ... and that was less than £50. Good luck.

ranger3 wrote:I've been offered a deal to a Record label outside the UK, is there any pitfalls to signing it, as say one in the UK where I am ?
Outside the UK, but still inside the EU?

Benefits of a label, versus releasing it yourself directly to beatport/itunes, is that the label know a lot more about promotion, and how to get it noticed.

But I dunno if the lable pays for such ads/promo, or if it comes out of the artists end in the end anyhow

Ads/promotion/studio time/mastering comes out of your royalties.

In some cultures it's also common for the artist to have his or her music printed to dat and shoved up their arse, just to make sure the power dynamics of the situation aren't in question :hihi:

Bring your own DAT and lube just in case.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

thecontrolcentre wrote:Ads/promotion/studio time/mastering comes out of your royalties.

This :wink:

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”