What would make you switch to Linux?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

lotus2035 wrote:
What would make you switch to Linux?
If there was a nuclear holocaust and only a few linux machines remained in the smouldering rubble then I would switch to linux...
:lol:

Here you are! A possibility in using linux in the 'bright' future.

whyterabbyt wrote:
briandc wrote:Certainly, there are different types of questions. And it would seem normal to me that young people would have more to learn when they start their profession than those who have been working in the field for a long period of time. My point is that we are just starting out in computer technology.
No, your point, there, when you started talking about that, was that you were conflating people asking questions with creativity. Stop trying to shift the goalposts.
In perspective, that is. Things are changing very quickly, and linux/gnu gives people all the tools they need to do whatever they want.
Except where it doesnt, of course. Just like any other platform.
Closed-source software may have some advantages, but it isn't what is needed to allow ALL people to be able to improve the world of computing.
Neither is Linux. For 'ALL' people to be able to 'improve the world of computing' then they'd need a requisite skillset that isnt actually in any way defined by a choice of operating system.
As the saying goes, "give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, he eats for life."
Yes, that's the saying. It doesnt have much relevance to your argument in favour of a particular type of rod, though.
or that 'young people' with judicious use of the 'right' type of rod will inherently redefine fishing.
It might be speculation to you. To me, there's little speculation in the idea that young people are our future.
Please stop moving your goalposts. The speculation wasnt predicated on 'young people' it was predicated on the spread of gnu/linux. And the result predicted wasnt 'they're the the future' it was 'the fall of capitalist computer companies'.

Your speculation was not 'young people are our future'. your speculation was
"as gnu/linux becomes more widespread, these young people will be the ones to use their talent and make new and wonderful things with computers"

For the record, GNU/Linux isnt what's noticably spreading. 'Pure' Linux via Android is. And that's something that's quite firmly engendered through the capitalist computer companies you claimed Linux is going to help overthrow.
Linux/gnu holds a future wide open with possibility. Corporate-run closed-source structure does not.
Your naivete is touching but the eager zealotry of the recently-converted is not. For the record you are saying nothing which I have not heard over and over again from people just like you for the past two decades, and as a prediction it actually gets less compelling as its failure to come to fruition proceeds. Perhaps when you're more experienced you'll learn that the right tool is the one that gets the job done, not the one that happens to be your favourite, and that no one size fits all.
"No one size fits all" is precisely why I use linux. Hundreds of distributions. Not enough? Make your own. :)

Reinventing fishing is not what I'm talking about. But the saying is very apt: "give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, he eats for life." Learning to fish isn't hard. And you can choose the rod, the lake, the stream, the bait. A real "DIY." Put creativity in the hands of the people. Let them make and do as they like.

But, if you like having handcuffs put on you (think digital handcuffs) then stick with Windows or Mac.
Personally, I like to use my computer my way, and to be able to change, add, delete as I choose. And with regards to making music, this is crucial.

"Failure to come to fruition" is not clear. Can you clarify? Is linux disappearing?

As for the goalposts, I agree, let's keep them where they are. Young people are more flexible, quicker to learn, and therefore more capable of learning new technologies. I'll stand by that. We older people can think that we can "do it all," but we can't. I'd rather give a kid linux than Windows. Especially if he/she has a curiosity to learn (hack) computers.

brian
Tired of Windows? Linux offers hundreds of good distros. For more info:
DistroWatch
Some good synths for linux: www.linuxsynths.com

xamido wrote:
The only thing that linux have going on for them is that they're free.
And you still don't see the importance of that? It's not just free as in gratis, it's free for you and I to modify, improve, change, share! This is the beauty of linux.
Now sure, many musicians probably don't care about coding and improving applications. But those who do, have the tools to make the system the best audio production suite possible. Think about it.

brian
DistroWatch

briandc wrote:
xamido wrote:
And you still don't see the importance of that? It's not just free as in gratis, it's free for you and I to modify, improve, change, share! This is the beauty of linux.
Now sure, many musicians probably don't care about coding and improving applications. But those who do, have the tools to make the system the best audio production suite possible. Think about it.

brian
+1

briandc wrote: And you still don't see the importance of that? It's not just free as in gratis, it's free for you and I to modify, improve, change, share! This is the beauty of linux.
Now sure, many musicians probably don't care about coding and improving applications. But those who do, have the tools to make the system the best audio production suite possible.
Those who like assembly can write their own DAW in it as well, but I'll pass.
I'm generally short on time.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

lutykos wrote:
briandc wrote:
xamido wrote:

brian
+1
As if it wasn't enough trouble already having to create music, produce it, and have to deal with the idiosincrasies of the DAWs and plug-ins. No... since we have plenty of free time, why not "reinventing the wheel" and start creating all by ourselves, the perfect OS and/or for the perfect DAW that we will create ourselves (because all the guys involving in doing it professionally are a bunch of ignorants that don't know what they are doing).

And all of a sudden, we stop being musicians with technical skils to become mediocre programmers using mediocre apps and neglecting our musical skills.

Is it just me who sees the rediculousness in this thought path?

What kept me away from Linux, after trying it like around ten years ago, was the feeling that everything there was like half done, and left to the end user to finish the job. There were no installers, apps are, most of the time, available as source code for the user to compile, we have to go hunting for the needed libraries, because the licenses disdn't allow people to include them packaged with the apps... in a word: a total mess
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:
lutykos wrote:
briandc wrote:
xamido wrote:

brian
+1
As if it wasn't enough trouble already having to create music, produce it, and have to deal with the idiosincrasies of the DAWs and plug-ins. No... since we have plenty of free time, why not "reinventing the wheel" and start creating all by ourselves, the perfect OS and/or for the perfect DAW that we will create ourselves (because all the guys involving in doing it professionally are a bunch of ignorants that don't know what they are doing).

And all of a sudden, we stop being musicians with technical skils to become mediocre programmers using mediocre apps and neglecting our musical skills.

Is it just me who sees the rediculousness in this thought path?

What kept me away from Linux, after trying it like around ten years ago, was the feeling that everything there was like half done, and left to the end user to finish the job. There were no installers, apps are, most of the time, available as source code for the user to compile, we have to go hunting for the needed libraries, because the licenses disdn't allow people to include them packaged with the apps... in a word: a total mess
It was 10 years ago, but ten years ago android didn't exist and now?(it is just an example). Nowadays it is much easier to install a program. ubuntu software center is like the google play store, so you don't have to search on the web to find the installer...

You know, whenever I have the time to make music, I like to relax at my desk and code a new feature in my custom DAW first for 14 hours. It really gets the creative juices flowing.

And after that, I continue work on the self-built engine for my custom build car. I can't wait to finish it in 12 months so that I can drive it to my allotment, because I'm starving.

spaceman wrote:You know, whenever I have the time to make music, I like to relax at my desk and code a new feature in my custom DAW first for 14 hours. It really gets the creative juices flowing.

And after that, I continue work on the self-built engine for my custom build car. I can't wait to finish it in 12 months so that I can drive it to my allotment, because I'm starving.
You don't have to, but for those who want, it is an available option to develop their daw/plugins.

Or perhaps it's the other way around? So that there are a lot of mediocre musicians who are magnificent programmers? Those people can greatly benefit from the open source licenses with the end result that we all benefit. Luthiers are important, no denying that, and good if they can benefit.

And "because all the guys involving in doing it professionally are a bunch of ignorants that don't know what they are doing" --- isn't that the KVR consensus? ;-)

And just the same, there are probably people who tried a Windows/Macintosh music setup ten years ago, didn't like it, and stuck with hardware. And some still do that. Ten years is a lot of time, you should give it a try again (hint: try KXStudio).

I kind of like this recent quote from Richard Stallman: "I can tell you something about free software 5 years from now: most of it will be the same as today. Free software does not change rapidly. (I think that is a feature; our society teaches people to overvalue innovation so as to distract them from more important things such as freedom, democracy, and giving everyone a comfortable life)."

That man is a programmer who deserves the Nobel peace prize.
Last edited by ras.s on Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

spaceman wrote:You know, whenever I have the time to make music, I like to relax at my desk and code a new feature in my custom DAW first for 14 hours. It really gets the creative juices flowing.

Let me give you a personal example.

I started using amSynth, a "simple" 2-oscillator synth available gratis in most linux repositories to install.
After a while, I thought, "gee, if this synth only had x, y and z added to it, it'd be able to do lots more." So I wrote a feature request to the creator/developer. (If I were a programmer I would have just made a fork to my own liking, of course.)
The developer responded with interest, and he added the features. I made some patch banks, and he added them to the final updated release.
Now we have a more-powerful synth, lots more presets--- all for the world to enjoy and modify if they so choose.

Somewhat akin to the patchbanks shared here at KVR. (That's part of the reason I frequent this forum, for the community and collaboration.) Even the free VST synths that I've discovered thanks to KVR, are many. And some of those developers are open to improving their synths upon request, too.

brian
DistroWatch

briandc wrote: I started using amSynth, a "simple" 2-oscillator synth available gratis in most linux repositories to install.
After a while, I thought, "gee, if this synth only had x, y and z added to it, it'd be able to do lots more." So I wrote a feature request to the creator/developer. (If I were a programmer I would have just made a fork to my own liking, of course.)
The developer responded with interest, and he added the features. I made some patch banks, and he added them to the final updated release.
And how is that Linux-specific?

spaceman wrote:
briandc wrote: I started using amSynth, a "simple" 2-oscillator synth available gratis in most linux repositories to install.
It's not linux-specific, but it's end-user-participation specific. Or "community"-specific.

brian
DistroWatch

briandc wrote:
spaceman wrote:
It's not linux-specific, but it's end-user-participation specific. Or "community"-specific.
We constantly talk to developers here at Kvr and they generally seem to listen when a good idea is presented.

spaceman wrote:
briandc wrote:
spaceman wrote:
We constantly talk to developers here at Kvr and they generally seem to listen when a good idea is presented.
Good. And if they are willing to share the source code so that other programmers can add more, even better. ;)

brian
DistroWatch

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”