Is KVR the forum that's the least EDM out there?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Maybe if you advertised; "Gold members have professionals that build them generic EDM presets the pro's use AND tell you how to make them even more unoriginal so you sound like other big room producers"

Then they'd be rolling in the dough.

Since KVR was redesigned, I now hide 'Sound Design' and 'Production Techniques', they are so dominated by the kind of thing Sendy and Whyte mention, it's mostly just irritating to read.

chk071 wrote:
Sendy wrote:But the entire forum, which is supposed to be for *discussions* about sound design, have been 90% taken up by quick-fire "what preset did aviici use on this track?" or "what vengence snare is this?".
Isn't that highly exaggerated? Look for yourself, and see now many of these question you really find on page 1 of the sound design forum: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=100 Apart from that, the music is popular, so finding many requests for sound design in popular music isn't really a wonder. The fact that many sounds, which are being asked for, are simple stack saw wave sounds is another thing of course. :D But then, when you're tired of answering these, you don't have to do it. I think there are worse things in life.
actually a quick glance right now shows at least (I stopped counting) 10 posts on 'how do I make this sound' on the first page. I dont care for genres, I dont look at it like I had to make a choice and stick with a genre. I can learn from anyone and sometimes lessons come from unlikely sources, but there is no learning like discovery and not only comes from understanding but also creates understanding.

I am not one to take this side of the argument often, but I agree that some people are just plain lazy and want it now without learning. I am so fortunate that technology has grown in concert with my ability to understand the current technology. All those times I had to figure things out for myself were the best lessons I learned.

I dont know that I would go as far as to say "ban anyone asking such questions" but I do actually feel sorry for them, imo this is a passing thing for many of them and may not hold their attention as long because paint by numbers is fun for a while but it does grow old and presumably we do grow up. I do understand how this gets frustrating for many, I can just ignore them as I do with many threads like threads about pro tools, reaper, cubase and the 10's of thousands of things I do not use...the 'mark all threads read in this forum' can be your friend in this case.

That's why I am how I am, it's about me when it comes to my passion..I do not care how I stack up to anyone else because all that matters is my own growth. My growth is not to be compared to the growth of others, we are all not on the same schedule. I am surely willing to help anyone (and I hope I have demonstrated that over the years), but I am not helping them by doing their work for them. However, I will never lower my standards to attack or condemn those who do choose to ask such questions, I was raised to be this way.

However that's not really my problem is it, if someone else chooses to be lazy the only impact it has on me is what I allow it to have. I can however grow as a person by allowing my acceptance of things that aggravate me to grow stronger, in turn I am stronger and can more easily dismiss what aggravates me and not dwell on it allowing it to suck anymore of the time I have left on this rock. It's better for me just to move on, sometimes a quick rant helps, but not worth dwelling on....all of this of course is just my opinion and how I try to live my life...I am not suggesting I am right or wrong or what works for me will work for others. So I agree 100% that you do not have to answer these questions and it really doesn't take all that much personal strength to ignore things you dont care for...there are worse things in life.

:shrug:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

there is a chance that some ppl are actually very new at all this and have very little idea about creating their own sounds...and its very common to want to emulate stuff you like....

Kriminal wrote:there is a chance that some ppl are actually very new at all this and have very little idea about creating their own sounds...and its very common to want to emulate stuff you like....
good point of course, that's why I said that I have no problem helping someone. For instance the DIY forum, I am willing to walk someone through every step of something (as long as I know what I am doing :hihi: )...I'll even give someone my phone number if need be. But it's my hope I will have to help them once, maybe twice and then they will have what they need to start learning on their own, still with questions but less questions and more focused questions.
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

I feel like most of these kids pirate FL Studio, try to make the next club track, then quit a week later when they can't figure out what VST avicii programs for his drop. Life must be tough.

Although I do think Kriminal is right, mostly. I try to help newbies who are eager to learn sound design because we share a common interest.

Kriminal wrote:there is a chance that some ppl are actually very new at all this and have very little idea about creating their own sounds...and its very common to want to emulate stuff you like....
Yep, when I was 17 back in the late 80's I wanted to know how to get James Hetfield's guitar sound on Master of Puppets, what a lazy shite I was. :hihi:

Kriminal is right in the sense that EDM (and associated styles of dance music from Dubstep to Psy Trance) tend to feature certain specific sounds in a good percentage of tracks. In other words, if you spend time on the dance floor there are certain sounds you are going to hear more than others e.g. a sync lead with filter sweep or in the case of EDM the classic riser sound.

... so yeah, it's totally normal that new "producers" want to know how it's done.

I guess the main complaint is they could be a little more pro-active about finding out (post example tracks, what they know and what they need help with, progress so far), instead of just posting "How do i sound like Martin G.".

Peace,
Andy.
... space is the place ...

LimboLoves wrote:I feel like most of these kids pirate FL Studio, try to make the next club track, then quit a week later when they can't figure out what VST avicii programs for his drop. Life must be tough.

Although I do think Kriminal is right, mostly. I try to help newbies who are eager to learn sound design because we share a common interest.
when it comes to sound design I am a newbie. I bought my first synth, a DX-7 15 or 16 years ago, but only in the last decade have I learned to create my own tones and I still have a lot to learn (thankfully) :shrug:

metamorphosis wrote:
LimboLoves wrote:Most forums, except maybe gearslutz, are geared towards "how to be avicii and get chicks" type of stuff. KVR is mostly technology, but sound design is pretty much all edm.

Are there any forums like KVR out there that don't cater to EDM noobs?

Just want to clarify also, KVR is awesome, i'm not knocking it.
GS is the least EDM.
GS is soooo anti-EDM that even a mention of the dreaded "EDM" abbreviation will cause an instant thread derailment with all the genre nazi nerds getting their panties in a bunch and bemoaning the way the U.S.A. is singlehandedly destroying their beloved music scene by calling everything "EDM." Seriously, if you're bored, go over to their Electronic Music and forum and start a thread titled "EDM" with nothing but "EDM EDM EDM EDM..." as the content, then sit back with a bowl of popcorn and watch the totally predictable, yet mildly entertaining, spectacle erupt. :troll:
Last edited by cryophonik on Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

yep, nowdays with g**gle and yo*tu** it's really hard to understand some requests.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

I think it's important to mention age here. I'm not going to give some 15 year old grief for posting some mundane thing about some preset. Just maybe they don't need to hear some jaded grumpy c**ts tell them they're no good, who knows what damage you might cause to their curiosity and enthusiasm. Maybe they are on a path to something else and learning about shitty DJ culture is just a temporary thing for them on the way to something better.

For the most part I just assume that the majority of these types of posts comes from late teens and early 20 some-things so I just leave them to it. The artist they mention is usually a giveaway, people are usually in the same age group or younger than the ones they want to emulate.

Now if a 30 year old posts the same mundane thing I would be less sympathetic.

lotus2035 wrote:Just maybe they don't need to hear some jaded grumpy c**ts tell them they're no good ...
:hihi:
... space is the place ...

ZenPunkHippy wrote:
lotus2035 wrote:Just maybe they don't need to hear some jaded grumpy c**ts tell them they're no good ...
:hihi:
:hihi: :hihi:

It is a point well made. My only issue is that many people who drop by for such help, never bother with any common courtesy or gratitude

It's a shame, although understandable in some ways, that there is this knee-jerk reaction to such enquiry from noobs

Some people could change their attitude, give 'em a chance! :wink:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=413303

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”