Why does modern electronic dance music sound like...

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The_Hidden_Goose wrote:lo-fi dog barking samples....sounds like something Mr Scruff would've done back in the day!

or The Avalanches maybe.
I think you can blame the factory sample set for the Emulator for that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tsfJn8YdwQ&feature=kp

Last edited by ghettosynth on Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I don't like modern dance music, either, but not only because of the aggressive sound as such, but also because I don't associate any feelings with it, it is not "from my time", no memories are being triggered, etc.

Last edited by ghettosynth on Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ghettosynth wrote:
Tricky-Loops wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:Tricky has dismissed other tracks that I've posted as examples of new music that doesn't fit that mold.
Dismissed?
Yes, as modern or contemporary. It seems to me that you've got yourself caught in a loop; you don't like the new progressive house but you identify the strong traits of it as being new whereas the strong traits of other contemporary forms are not new to you.
As I said before, I haven't dismissed anything because I couldn't even watch the Youtube videos... :shrug:

Circuit Bent (Electro swing / funk outfit from Melbourne) have been releasing some great tunes over the last few years ...

https://soundcloud.com/circuitbentobox/ ... s-previews
... space is the place ...

I'm not against 4-to-the-floor music at all. What I HATE are these overloud knocking plastic kicks, that's what I complained. I don't have a problem with 90ies house music where the kick isn't that extreme. But nowadays everyone tries to make the kicks as loud as possible. Recently I listened to a Shaun Baker tune and it felt like someone wildly knocking at my door for 4 minutes, I even felt slightly dizzy... :scared:

I'm a big fan of deep house with deep (low) kicks and of tribal house with other percussion elements...

ghettosynth wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:I don't like modern dance music, either, but not only because of the aggressive sound as such,
Don't get me wrong, I don't like much of anything from the past 15 years of dutch trance, electro, xstep, or the new progressive house, but, this isn't everything EDM. I like electroswing, the new techhouse, and new deephouse.
but also because I don't associate any feelings with it, it is not "from my time", no memories are being triggered, etc.
I actively try to avoid getting caught up in this. I force myself to listen to new music and think about it in its context and its relation to past contexts. I try to identify and pinpoint why I don't like it and challenge myself to validate my objections externally.

I don't mind getting older, but I do mind getting older and getting stuck, either in the past, or in trying to be cool.
I like the music I am stuck with. Why should I force myself to like something modern? I may like a modern track in terms of sound, analytically, intellectually, but it will never touch me the way music from my young years does.

Tricky-Loops wrote:I'm not against 4-to-the-floor music at all. What I HATE are these overloud knocking plastic kicks, that's what I complained. I don't have a problem with 90ies house music where the kick isn't that extreme. But nowadays everyone tries to make the kicks as loud as possible. Recently I listened to a Shaun Baker tune and it felt like someone wildly knocking at my door for 4 minutes, I even felt slightly dizzy... :scared:

I'm a big fan of deep house with deep (low) kicks and of tribal house with other percussion elements...
Maybe it is a replacement for real rhythm. I mean, with excessive bass drums, you can't really play rhythms like with an acoustic bass drum.

Last edited by ghettosynth on Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Last edited by ghettosynth on Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ghettosynth wrote:
Tricky-Loops wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
Tricky-Loops wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:Tricky has dismissed other tracks that I've posted as examples of new music that doesn't fit that mold.
Dismissed?
Yes, as modern or contemporary. It seems to me that you've got yourself caught in a loop; you don't like the new progressive house but you identify the strong traits of it as being new whereas the strong traits of other contemporary forms are not new to you.
As I said before, I haven't dismissed anything because I couldn't even watch the Youtube videos... :shrug:
You commented on Sendy's track, and, in the past when I've posted Kattermuke you've commented similarly. By dismiss I mean that you dismiss it as new.
Sendy is producing progressive house now? Did I miss something? :o

Last edited by ghettosynth on Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tricky-Loops wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:You commented on Sendy's track, and, in the past when I've posted Kattermuke you've commented similarly. By dismiss I mean that you dismiss it as new.
Sendy is producing progressive house now? Did I miss something? :o
No. Yes.

KVR is awesome.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”