Nobody appreciates small time electronic music makers/electronic musician for most is a lonely life

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

You'd get tons more respect with mediocre guitar playing is seems. Maybe we're ahead of our time?

Maybe it's because learning a guitar takes time and dedication and making electronic music is relatively easy.

It depends of the music. Listeners are not stupid and hearing the difference between an artist and copy & paste musician.
Playing an instrument get's more respect because people know the time and learning curve behind this.

tehlord wrote:Maybe it's because learning a guitar takes time and dedication and making electronic music is relatively easy.
Learning to make good electronic music takes as much time as learning to play guitar professionally. That's why I don't play guitar because I don't have time to learn it. (I'd rather improve my keyboard or piano playing.)

But there are indeed mainly guitar players at KVR... :shrug:

4damind wrote:It depends of the music. Listeners are not stupid and hearing the difference between an artist and copy & paste musician.
Garrix.
ABLETON LIVE 12 & PUSH2
Soundcloud: Nation of Korea vs Shitty Dog

Tricky-Loops wrote:
tehlord wrote:Maybe it's because learning a guitar takes time and dedication and making electronic music is relatively easy.
Learning to make good electronic music takes as much time as learning to play guitar professionally. That's why I don't play guitar because I don't have time to learn it. (I'd rather improve my keyboard or piano playing.)

But there are indeed mainly guitar players at KVR... :shrug:
Learning to be a mediocre guitarist takes a couple of years.

Learning to be a mediocre electronic musician is a couple of weeks.

tehlord wrote: Learning to be a mediocre guitarist takes a couple of years.

I learned Dub Turbo in a couple of minutes. :party:

Naer wrote:You'd get tons more respect with mediocre guitar playing is seems. Maybe we're ahead of our time?
Nobody appreciates small time electronic music makers
Don't worry: your friends and family appreciate you (perhaps). :hihi:

To be serious - what you going to do about it?
How you going to become a big time electronic music maker?

The market is flooded. Everyone and her dog can stick some phat choons out over the 'net.

Do you want to make music for money, or as a hobby? If it's the former. you'll have to get up to the same level as the leading electronic music artists and producers.
And you'll have to find a way of standing out from the crowd too.

All of which you've probably heard before.
But there it is again.

Though, I'm not convinced it's any easier for guitar players etc.
Mediocrity is mediocrity, whatever the instrument.
Last edited by Doug1978 on Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It depends on what standard you are holding the electronic music too.

I mean it's simple enough to grab a guitar and bash out a few chords. Early Punk demonstrated just how easy it was. American punk is huge, but I would consider most of it to be 'pop punk'. But the songs are still simple enough.

While it's easy enough to get an electronic set up going in your bedroom. To get really good, takes years. But the standard I'm talking about here would be 90's Darkside Drum and Bass. Which is considered by many to be the apex electronic music production.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

tehlord wrote:Learning to be a mediocre guitarist takes a couple of years.

This.

And, the mediocre guitarist could go form e.g. a reasonable punk band* that's listenable / fun / makes a statement.

Contrast with the 2-weeks-young bedroom producer, who has ... well, not much ...

*edit: I mean a real punk band like the old days (Dead Kennedys, Minor Threat), not that hyper produced modern shite ;)
Last edited by ZenPunkHippy on Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
... space is the place ...

Robmobius wrote:

I mean it's simple enough to grab a guitar and bash out a few chords. Early Punk demonstrated just how easy it was. American punk is huge, but I would consider most of it to be 'pop punk'. But the songs are still simple enough. And those bland artists are making lots of doh.

While it's easy enough to get an electronic set up going in your bedroom. To get really really good, takes years. But the standard I'm talking about here would be 90's Darkside Drum and Bass. Which is considered by many to be the apex electronic music production.
There are plenty of big (that started out small) time electronic bods around too. So I don't fully adhere to the op's original statement either.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Robmobius wrote:

I mean it's simple enough to grab a guitar and bash out a few chords. Early Punk demonstrated just how easy it was. American punk is huge, but I would consider most of it to be 'pop punk'. But the songs are still simple enough.

While it's easy enough to get an electronic set up going in your bedroom. To get really good, takes years. But the standard I'm talking about here would be 90's Darkside Drum and Bass. Which is considered by many to be the apex electronic music production.
Being an electronic musician requires absolutely no prior skill. There is no technique as such, no muscle memory that you HAVE to take time to learn. You can simply click away with a mouse and theoretically get 'ok' with trial and error.

Learning to be a musician that can actually play an instrument is not even remotely comparable.

Learning to become good at both takes a fairly equal amount of time however.

ZenPunkHippy wrote:*edit: I mean a real punk band like the old days (Dead Kennedys, Minor Threat), not that hyper produced modern shite ;)
Get off my lawn! Doggone kids and their digity audial workimistations and Line6 Podicles.

Doug1978 wrote:
Naer wrote:You'd get tons more respect with mediocre guitar playing is seems. Maybe we're ahead of our time?
Nobody appreciates small time electronic music makers
Don't worry: your friends and family appreciate you (perhaps). :hihi:

To be serious - what you going to do about it?
How you going to become a big time electronic music maker?

The market is flooded. Everyone and her dog can stick some phat choons out over the 'net.

Do you want to make music for money, or as a hobby? If it's the former. you'll have to get up to the same level as the leading electronic music artists and producers.
And you'll have to find a way of standing out from the crowd too.

All of which you've probably heard before.
But there it is again.

Though, I'm not convinced it's any easier for guitar players etc.
Mediocrity is mediocrity, whatever the instrument.
Orson Scott Card talks about how writing an original storyline is next to impossible. His trick is to put new life into an old storyline, from his own experiences and such. I'm paraphrasing badly. Only like $6 used on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/158297103 ... ot_redir=1

ZenPunkHippy wrote:
*edit: I mean a real punk band like the old days (Dead Kennedys, Minor Threat), not that hyper produced modern shite ;)
Ha ha... Agreed. :) I can't stand that modern puss. It's 'pop rock' disguised as punk music.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”