bad track(s) on an otherwise great album

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I like them both 'cause they remind me of my youth :( .
I guess that Peter Gabriel made these tracks only for the 80's commercial market. The videos made a sensation all over the world.

vurt wrote:money on dark side of the moon
not so much a bad track as it just doesnt fit in with the rest of the album, just jumps out and makes it a jarring listen in amongst the fluidity of the rest of the album.
+1

But they put it a nice spot on the album. When flipping the vinyl, just put the needle on "Us & Them" instead, skipping past Money ;)

aMUSEd wrote:imho his [peter gabriels] first 2, maybe 3, albums are the only ones I find listenable anyway.
Pffft. :) 1 & 2 were him still shaking his prog roots off, 3 is pretty much perfect, 4 not so much but still great. 'So' too, and I really like 'Big Time' for the record, big slab o' cheesy 80s techno funk/soul.

Actually there's that godawful barbershop track on his first LP that would qualify for this this thread.

What about: Indie guitar god tries hip-hop...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_EoG52pOMY

Though in hindsight, that's the track that kind of stands out on an otherwise predictable album.

there were a couple of tracks off of 'phyz-graf' i'd thought were weak. otherwise, it was a brilliant album.

well any album Uli Jon Roth plays on I really like, but tbh I am far from a fan of his singing. I wouldn't call them bad tracks, but they are not good for me so take your pick :hihi:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

I have a difficulty with the concept. If it's a truly great album, then the bum track is part of the album, part of what the artist wanted to present to their listeners. It lives on the album, no changing it.

My first thought was the concluding track "The Jeweller" from John Cale's "Slow Dazzle". It's basically just Cale and Eno making a drone background with Cale intoning bad spoken word over it. Not my favorite, major-league pretentious, but every time I listen to the album I finish off the whole thing.

Isolated as a YouTube clip, it has no weight - but the lead-up song is "Guts", a truly great cut. I can't hear "Guts" in my mind without sliding into "The Jeweller".

Genesis, "The Battle of Epping Forest" from the Selling England By the Pound album. It was a clever idea, but the actual song sounds oddly unfinished. The music just kind of plods along, not doing anything in particular to capture interest, and the lyrics are needlessly wordy and too-cool-for-school. One of the few misfires during the band's Gabriel/Hackett period.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”