Women in the music industry...

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Are you a woman in the music industry? Do you know any female musicians, audio engineers, instrument designers, or software developers? Please share your thoughts and stories on your fellow female music & audio pros here. Respectful comments only, please...

chalaby wrote: Respectful comments only, please...
Well there goes the fun. My guitar teacher of 4 years is a female, but that was a while back when I saw her. I've tried teaching females to play guitar, the beginning is different because they have different hands. It's the left hand, look at any experienced female guitarist, it still looks female.

They could probably play a midi guitar, it's just buttons.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

I'm not a woman, but I've met some a few times.

They're pretty cool.

What do you want to know?

Are we really having this conversation in 2014?

Of course there are. My thoughts and comments are that they are exactly the same as their male counterparts only of a different gender. What else is there?

Well, if we're talking about the pop music business, then i would say the most remarkable difference is that female artists usually look as if they're coming straight from the catwalk, while male artists look like they just stepped out of their pimp ride. Not sure what to make out of it...

I think I know as many female as male musicians. Not so many doing production or sound engineering. My local night club used to have a female doing sound for live bands. Don't really matter imho.

Female musicians are just like male musicians, except they have to deal with even more stupid shit.

Why aren't there more women creating musical instruments today? After all women are 50% of the population. Despite interesting examples like Laurie Anderson, St. Vincent, and Imogen Heap, playing a contemporary instrument has not been necessarily encouraged, so it follows that there wouldn't be many women designing instruments if they aren't playing them.
Fait accompli

If anything this is lazy journalism, justifying its own male dominant focus.

With all due respect, I don't know of any females who are also fellows.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Jenifer Eisenberg, CEO of Eisenberg:
http://eisenberg-audio.de/include/about.html

A couple of interesting links:

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/tag/w ... nic-music/
http://www.femalepressure.net/

It's amazing which tools journalists today have at their disposal

Numanoid wrote:
Why aren't there more women creating musical instruments today? After all women are 50% of the population. Despite interesting examples like Laurie Anderson, St. Vincent, and Imogen Heap, playing a contemporary instrument has not been necessarily encouraged, so it follows that there wouldn't be many women designing instruments if they aren't playing them.
Fait accompli

If anything this is lazy journalism, justifying its own male dominant focus.
I'm not sure what you mean by that comment. Could you please elaborate?

chalaby wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by that comment. Could you please elaborate?
When I look at the industry focus, it is all white men that are interviewed, except the latest interview.

A statement about that there is no women in the business, is like a justification of that narrow focus.

I have posted examples in this thread, using half an hour with google, to show that there is indeed women in the business who deserve focus.

It is good that Ingrid Linn is interviewed, but she is hardly the only one in the business.

chalaby wrote:Are you a woman in the music industry? Do you know any female musicians, audio engineers, instrument designers, or software developers? Please share your thoughts and stories on your fellow female music & audio pros here. Respectful comments only, please...
My wife plays bass -- 5-string electric bass with a big stack -- metal bass.
She's a pretty serious artist, but has completely different attitudes from me (which I, of course, must accommodate).

Pretty often she runs into the issue of Bass (particularly metal bass) being a "man's world." Nearly every bass forum is dominated by males and females are very rare in that scene. And the females that do show up, tend to be more "glamorous" than "musical." So she deals with that.

Another thing I've noticed with female artists is that *age perception* seems to be more significant than *gender perception*. It's pretty common for guys in their 40s and 50s to start musical acts (at various levels with various intentions.) 40-50 year old women trying to do this tend to face social obstacles than men don't.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”