Joni Mitchell - get well soon!

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BERFAB wrote:Poor Jaco. Dude was amazing. There's actually footage of him on YouTube giving bass lessons--well before the YouTube era, of course. Surprised there was never a movie about his life. Just an amazing, tragic tale.
It is unbeliveable that the bouncer that killed Pastorius only spent 4 months in actual jail :o :(

http://www.ricksuchow.com/press-group-201.html

aMUSEd wrote:Oh it just annoyed me how they kept cutting to stupid movie clips when all I wanted was to see the concert performance, messed a lot of it up for me.
Though I haven't seen it and I don't wish to fall into the 'grumpy old man' trap, it does bother me that modern televisual productions struggle to avoid over editing. It's as if everyone involved in the process has to stamp their mark on things. It says a lot about the world we are moving into - too much individualism over collaboration.
γνῶθι σαὐτόν

kingtubby wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:Oh it just annoyed me how they kept cutting to stupid movie clips when all I wanted was to see the concert performance, messed a lot of it up for me.
Though I haven't seen it and I don't wish to fall into the 'grumpy old man' trap, it does bother me that modern televisual productions struggle to avoid over editing. It's as if everyone involved in the process has to stamp their mark on things. It says a lot about the world we are moving into - too much individualism over collaboration.
except it's 35 years old :) really, it amounts to some cheesy video cutaways (really cheesy in 'coyote', from memory)

it wouldn't be so bad (editing neither), were it not for the fact that anyone with more than a passing interest in this legend-filled stage is going to be clamouring for every chance to see the performers, instead of cuts, edits, and crowd shots

having said all of that, it is absolutely worth watching :shrug:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: except it's 35 years old :) really, it amounts to some cheesy video cutaways (really cheesy in 'coyote', from memory)
aah, ok - that diminishes my point some what :wink:
γνῶθι σαὐτόν

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
kingtubby wrote:
except it's 35 years old :) really, it amounts to some cheesy video cutaways (really cheesy in 'coyote', from memory)

it wouldn't be so bad (editing neither), were it not for the fact that anyone with more than a passing interest in this legend-filled stage is going to be clamouring for every chance to see the performers, instead of cuts, edits, and crowd shots

having said all of that, it is absolutely worth watching :shrug:
Yeah it's certainly not 'modern televisuals' - just someone's dumb idea of trying to be clever when all the fans want to see is Joni, while we do get to see concert footage the clips are too often at the points I would most like to see what is going on on stage.

BERFAB wrote:Shadows and Light is an amazing testiment to her talent. Long considered a pop princess for her AM radio hits, she is now commanding a live band comprised of some of the best jazz musicians on the planet: Pat metheny, Lyle Mays, Jaco Pastorius, Mike Brecker and Don Alias
Mrs Natural saw this band ^ in Santa Monica back in the day - "Mingus" tour - she tells me it was beyond amazing.

She kills me as she's seen so many cool concerts that I wish I'd seen - Police "Regatta de Blanca" - Miles - Stones +1 one time more than I have.
Her first concert was Sly & the Family Stone = Sick

get well Ms. Mitchell !
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Mister Natural wrote:
BERFAB wrote:Shadows and Light is an amazing testiment to her talent. Long considered a pop princess for her AM radio hits, she is now commanding a live band comprised of some of the best jazz musicians on the planet: Pat metheny, Lyle Mays, Jaco Pastorius, Mike Brecker and Don Alias
Mrs Natural saw this band ^ in Santa Monica back in the day - "Mingus" tour - she tells me it was beyond amazing.
I would love to have seen that, I saw her a few years after when she had gone backwards into safer and more rocky territory, for me Mingus was the pinnacle of her artistic progress.

expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Yeah that's the best rendition of that one.

I was at this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojIZ61GBHwY

this is one of my favourite songs of hers

in the past, i was riding around in a work truck, and my co-worker popped in a joni mitchell cassette. i was like 'i don't listen to joni mitchell'. ...but then i did listen, and it became obvious that joni is absolutely brilliant. ...recently told my niece - an up-and-coming-stage-peformer-recording-artist - to 'study some joni mitchell'.

Joni-I hope you are getting through the days ok. Hopefully you see this. I'm sorry you have it so rough, but have I made you smile? Come on, I'm not a flat tire lol! Get that smile out, I'm making you.... I care
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

aMUSEd wrote:I was at this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojIZ61GBHwY

this is one of my favourite songs of hers

you got to see vinnie :)

much as i like that version, sonically, the pace and dynamic kinda squanders the impact of so many fantastic lyrics :?

BERFAB wrote:now commanding a live band comprised of some of the best jazz musicians on the planet: Pat metheny, Lyle Mays, Jaco Pastorius, Mike Brecker and Don Alias.

-B
I'm confused by "now" and "live", 3/5ths of this band are dead. Unless you are sending to the internet from back in time.

jancivil wrote:
BERFAB wrote:now commanding a live band comprised of some of the best jazz musicians on the planet: Pat metheny, Lyle Mays, Jaco Pastorius, Mike Brecker and Don Alias.

-B
I'm confused by "now" and "live", 3/5ths of this band are dead. Unless you are sending to the internet from back in time.
with the context given by the preceding sentence (not quoted in your post), it does kinda make sense. though not strictly correct, people often switch past and present tense when relating a story. it's very common among british football pundits, or those telling a joke e.g "there were these two frogs sitting on a wall. one turns to the other and says....................."

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”