anyone made a conscious decision to avoid music

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I don't listen to streaming Youtube anymore, because I didn't pay for it. I should pay for my freeware, let my heart and spirit fade away....love for my family be uninspired....now that's good family values!
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

Do you not watch television that you don't specifically pay to watch?
If you are at a free public exhibition of art work do you walk around with a blindfold so as not to accidentally view images you didn't pay to see? Were you pushed out of the womb and into the workfield to pay for the baby food and diapers you used?

Are you paying me for my reply? As pretending not to read it doesn't make my reply not exists. Do you expect others to pay you for your contributions to this thread as your words in this thread are the manifestations of your ideas. Just as music and art are manifestations of peoples ideas brought to life through work.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

el-bo, forgive me for not knowing but are you single? That could also be a major difference about making such a decision....saying "Denise, we're not listening to music for a month" would not go over well :hihi:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

i became a music avoider long time ago. i could tell you about it, but i can use that concept here - there's only one way to find out what the practice will do for you isn't there. i mean, if i say one thing, someone else could say something else. they get up here and say things.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

xoxos wrote:if i say one thing, someone else could say something else.
Well, it's KVR after all... :hihi:

Hink wrote:el-bo, forgive me for not knowing but are you single? That could also be a major difference about making such a decision....saying "Denise, we're not listening to music for a month" would not go over well :hihi:
Unless Denise is deaf as a doornail. :D

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:from other artists as a means of increasing personal creativity ??

i have the fortune of being able to do my work while listening to music, podcast etc. i spend many hours a day listening, and am really wondering how much this is influencing my own creativity (or lack thereof). up to a certain point, i believe that it has been great to immerse myself in music for the sake of inspiration. but maybe i have gone too far, and the constant input is leaving me fatigued by the time i can get to sit down to my own music

one aspect that i believe that could be detrimental is the idea of constant comparison. rather than making music from the heart i.e what comes naturally, am i constantly trying to work from the head, to produce similar to that which is inspiring me ??

another thought is that i am losing all that time and space when ideas might just appear. maybe if i left the ipod at home while walking the dogs, there would be new time and space for music to bubble-up to the surface. perhaps a dictaphone (why d'ya need a dick to phone ??)

i had originally thought to experiment with just avoiding music, deferring to spoken word, but it might be also worth trying to pump less information into my ears. maybe ill try it as a two-tiered approach, removing music first, then all unnatural sound input (unnatural, meaning other than the sounds naturally surrounding me)

has anyone tried this ??
To me avoiding other peoples music causes lack of inspiration :P Though listening too much specific genre/style causes lack of inspiration (listen to trance -> make only trance). Best for me is to listen many genres and many styles and if I listen with a thought, I try to listen specific things that I need inspiration with like rhythms, background textures, how song is built etc.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”