More on Releasing your album without streaming

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Musicians have the choice: You can give your album away through streaming, or you can sell your album for a fare return.

In an article just published by CNET.com., sales figures were reported for 2014 for music. Streaming represents 27% of the market. Physicals CDs are 32% of the market. Digital download sales are 37% of the market. The remainder is sync sales.

So Physical CDs and download are 69% of the market. That is a healthy chunk which proves that, overall, it can be quite profitable for musicians to sell music strictly through Physical CD and download.

Further, for those who wish to minimize, or at least hinder, the piracy market of your album, starting your album sales by Physical CD makes a lot of sense. Download sales can always be considered at a later date.

It's fairly straightforward. Begin the sales of your CD on Amazon through it's createspace marketing, along with one free music video of your album, along with 90 second demos of each song on Youtube. For catchy, high quality songs, 90 seconds is plenty. After 6-12 months, you can consider download sales. Of course, if people like your album, you will most likely have the opportunity to move Physical CD sales into more retail stores.

As expected, there will be streaming shills and naysayers responding to this topic, saying "I would never buy a song based upon a 90 second sample."
ANSWER: These people are not your market. What a shill says is irrelevant anyway. And of course, Itunes has been extremely successful with 90 second demos of songs.

Finally, there is no rush. Good music will always find its market.

12 noon PST and all is well at KVR... :D

rp314 wrote:12 noon PST and all is well at KVR... :D
:lol:

Let me reiterate this point for the billionth time, and I know you won't listen to it.

Streaming - listen, seriously. I know this is a difficult concept for you to grasp.
STREAMING - are you listening? Come on, I'll do it slowly for you.
STREAMING IS NOT the same as PURCHASING

Step 1: Stream your music. Step 2: Sell your music on digital distributors. Step 3: Profit. :party:

actually I want to edit this casue screw it, I do have more to say even though you won't listen:

What makes you think you are going to earn ANY money on your music at all? Whether it's pennies on the dollar or from full sales. Like seriously: Who the F*CK are you? Why WOULD anyone care about you and your trifle complaints about streaming. Money is money, and unless you are a big name artist, you'll be lucky to earn any reasonable amount of money.

yes, because we haven't heard enough already about the dangers of streaming :roll:

and we thought a skipping vinyl record was annoying, turns out digital is worse ;)

Yep spotify is destroying the music industry with their monopoly.

franky my deer, i dont give a dam.

Sweet child in time...

A few random quotes from the article he's talking about:
Streaming music drowns out CD sales in US for the first time
Prophesies that streaming music is the future -- whether as a threat or an aspiration -- are starting to come true.
Streaming revenue[...]jumped 29 percent last year, while CD revenue dropped 12.7 percent.
The data illustrates an increasing shift from purchasing music to own in the form of a downloaded track, CD, record or cassette tape to a world in which music is increasingly paid for with subscriptions for all-you-can-eat access or with advertising.
:borg:

Bandcamp. Set a $5 minimum and you're good to go.

if you lay all the threads ted has started on this subject end to end it would reach uranus.

vurt wrote:if you lay all the threads ted has started on this subject end to end it would reach uranus.
So which do you think would be longer?
The number of threads Ted posts on streaming, or the length of text of all of MattMVS7 posts on pleasure? :hihi:

vurt wrote:franky my deer, i dont give a dam.
If you gave me a dam, I'd be rich and powerful. But it may also kill fish, which is an important option in KVR polls.

tedinmexico, if you start another thread on this topic instead of using one of your existing threads, you're done here.
No longer a moderator.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”