No Radiohead 'A moon shaped pool' thread yet?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I listened to it three times now. It's not what I expected, although I'm not actually sure what I did expect? It's certainly a much softer, more arty album than I had pictured. It's growing on me, but it's going to need time to put its hooks in me.

So far, "Present tense" is the highlight for me.

Any thoughts?
Last edited by spaceman on Wed May 11, 2016 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

I haven't listened to this yet, as I'm not a fan of them (just haven't listened much), but I heard "Spectre", the song they made for the latest Bond-movie and I thought it blew that Sam what's-his-name's silly theme tune out of the water.

So many popular AAA-class artists seem to have lost their touch as of lately, with likes of Jarre sounding like your average run-of-the-mill-EDM-kid, but if Spectre is any indication of these guys' current state, I wouldn't outright dismiss this new album without giving it a chance.

spaceman wrote:I listened to it three times now. It's not what I expected, although I'm not actually sure what I did expect? It's certainly a much softer, more arty album than I had pictured. It's growing on me, but it's going to need time to put its hooks in me.

So far, "Present tense" is the highlight for me.

Any thoughts?
I am one of the few crazy people that prefer their last albums to the "Creeps" period
When I heard AMSP I was like meeeh, they're giving the audience what they want. But after a few listening I think it's growing on me too and It's gonna end in my top 10 album ever
These guys just never stop to amaze me.

Certainly one of the most consistent bands around. Always evolving, but always staying true to themselves. Big influence, and something to aspire to. Progressive music with brains AND heart, which is really incredibly hard to find.

The new album is really sublime, had three listens so far, and it's just beautiful. Takes you to another place. Full of little, creative details that nearly always add to the whole. Not for those with the attention span and musical horizon of a rabid gopher, of course.

their videos are getting bazillions of views at a rapid rate..... (just an observation)

I gave it a rest today to let it sink in for a moment. I'm going to listen again tomorrow. My mental map of the album keeps changing, which is a good sign.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

I saw one viddy about it, it was fine.

I'm not the world foremost "radiohead" fan. I like some things, I don't like others. They don't define my existence.

Still, they are relevant in a big way. Jesus christ, it's GOT to be better than the pop/rap crap being dished! :lol:

@incubus. Not sure what you are listening to, but to make the kind of generalisation where two genres of music are negated seems a little harsh. Have you listened to Kendrick Lamar's 'To Pimp A Butterfly' or Aurora's 'All My Demons...' There are Pop and Rap albums out there that are every bit as relevant as anything Radiohead have done or are doing.
There's nothing wrong with not liking something but to infer that certain types of music are more or less redundant penalises those great artist who are pushing the envelope in those genres.
But to get back on topic... The new Radiohead album has Johnny Greenwood's brilliance all over it. The orchestration and all those little flashes of musical daring are the real highlight for me.

... Almost forgot James Blake's new album. Very inventive mix of fractured beats, pop and R&B. Definitely up there with Radiohead IMO.

I'm liking it, maybe the best overall I've heard from them in years.

They're a bit of a love/meh band for me, most of their post-2000 stuff I have to kind of pick through to be honest. Nothing really wrong with it, maybe it's just the hype at times seems overwhelming, starting with Kid A. Innovative and groundbreaking, yeah to an extent if you've never heard <insert long list of other bands/artists>. I think they're talented, not slagging them at all, just not the be all and end all of modern music as some seem to describe them (and they certainly wouldn't from I've heard).

Radiohead hold a funny place in my heart. They're one of my all time favourite bands and yet I never listen to them :shrug: Weird.

I guess because it's always quite dark content and I'd need to be in the right mood.

That said, I listen to black/death metal daily :shrug:
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

They played the entire album on BBC radio 6 the other day, it's nice, sounds like Radiohead but nothing to wet your pants about and they've lost their experimental edge.

There was nothing surprising and a few tunes I thought I'd heard before as they were similar to older tunes.

Will appeal to fans of Coldplay
Amazon: why not use an alternative

i remember hearing about this radiohead. they're experimental, you say? o_O

people like what they like, alright, but someone makes a few antiestablishment lyrics, and they're experimental?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQozjL_Xi88

anyone who thinks radiohead are experimental needs to go back thirty six years and listen to helios creed and damon edge = chrome, "alien soundtracks"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdBQFlD ... 0D254C13B6

not knocking, but for perspective.. it's all about perspective..

what i've heard of radiohead is lullabies for disaffected american youth.. a couple of decades late. the songs are of large scope, but this is a parlor trick to anyone with the erudition to compose outside of the pop/groove paradigm.

i'm pretty much over my own "heroes" and recorded music, considering the voluminous amount of truly experimental, brilliant music that was released in precedence, eg. psychic tv, to hear "radiohead" discussed as experimental or cutting edge makes me want to suggest some chrome to you.. third from the sun, blood on the moon..

normally i'd think, "god knows what i'm missing to consider *this* innovation, but where damon edge is concerned, we have an originator.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

It's all about context. Radiohead are commercially successful with music that is an A&R man's nightmare. They follow their own rules, refuse to work within the corporate structure, and yet they are still successful. This makes them special. As well as the fact that they make "experimental" music (a dumb phrase in any case) that appeals to a lot of people and is not experimental for the sake of being different. Sure, there's music that's way more "out there", yawn. As if being "out there" was some kind of achievement. Actually, there's nothing easier than making experimental music (or art) that alienates 98% of the world's population. The hard part is trying to communicate to others while staying true to yourself, to find a balance of personal expression and the reaching out to others. This is where Radiohead are exceptional.

kelvyn wrote:Pimp
:lol:

"That's all you need to say!"

(every single time some sucka tries and call me out that I'm "generalizing" things I win the pepsi-challenge HANDS DOWN! )

The weirdest thing is that I didn't even say anything bad :scared:

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”