Is it legal to sample a synth?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,
I like a synth from a song and i told a producer from an online marketplace that i want this synth for a song. He sampled now the exact same synth. Is it legal to make me a song with this synth?

I dont know if the synth, from the original song, was a preset or a manufactured one from the producer himself.

"Is it legal" is a wrong question. The correct question is "can you be sued for it"? Because the decision belongs to original artist or right holder and not anybody else.

If it's a part of song, it's generally not free for sampling. If it's a preset, you can get the original preset as well ;) If not, the producer might have put a significant effort or creativity into it.

Personally I have liberal approach to sampling, though - if it's a generic and not distinctive sound, it could be as well a field recording.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

When you say "he sampled me the same synth" do you mean the sound, the tune, or what exactly?

thanks,
@dj,
Yes he sampled it from the song itself.
If it´s a preset, i have no idea where to find it.

@thecontrolcentre,

The sound of the synth, for example if you listen to 2 Unlimited - No limit, the synth that you can hear from the start,
not the melody of the synth.

Sampling a sound is not illegal, because if it was pretty much everyone in this business would be in deep trouble. Most if not all pianos and acoustic instruments are sampled. There is no difference in sampling a synth compared to a piano or something else.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

ATN69 wrote:Sampling a sound is not illegal
If you sample anything which originated as a recording, then it can be. The copyright laws that are primarily relevant to sampling are those which pertain to the reuse of someone else's recorded audio.

That means sampling existing samplers, romplers, and anything similar that relies on the playback of original versions of derivations of existing recorded material without permission is a breach of copyright, as is sampling a recording of a synth without permission.
Purely generative synths (either analogue or those calculating waveforms in realtime) are free to record 'new' because there are no recordings involved.

There's obviously fuzzy where this meets calculated and/or pre-stored waveforms which were never recorded as such, though; there's an argument that these are still protected as data.

The other issue might be making a recording of someone else's preset sound, eg the factory sounds. However that's a much more specific case which isnt covered explicitly in most copyright law, though some aspects may still be applicable. That doesnt mean a manufacturer wouldnt try and prevent someone reselling samples of those sounds.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

heloo wrote:Yes he sampled it from the song itself.
That sample needs to be cleared, otherwise your publication will violate the recording rights of the original publisher.
http://diymusician.cdbaby.com/music-rig ... our-music/
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Well..what I am talking about is sampling a pure sound, like a preset from a Prophet V, a clarinet or a Steinway D grand piano. Sampling from a record is strictly speaking not allowed without permission from the copyright owner. But from what I read at the top the sound was sampled from the exact same synth and not from any recording.

https://www.stim.se/en/find-an-answer/f ... permission
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

I'm here to throw a wrench into things. Recent court rulings may have changed what's allowed to be sampled (from recordings) and what's not.

A brief timeline of sampling and US copyright law:
80's - go nuts
90's - be careful, if it's recognizable it must be cleared but maybe you can get away with it
2005-2016 - any sampling of someone else's song at all, no matter how short, is infringement unless it's cleared, f*ck you
2016 - maybe not, if it's not distinctive and unique

A recent court case ruled in favor of "de minimis" sampling with no need for clearance if the sample is not unique enough to merit having copyright protection. http://blog.ericgoldman.org/archives/20 ... adonna.htm

The takeaway seems to be that if you want to sample the whole riff you'd need clearance, but if you want to sample a single hit and use it in a transformative way you're in the clear.

@ATN, sorry, i was unclear, he sampled the synth from the recording

nineofkings wrote:I'm here to throw a wrench into things. Recent court rulings may have changed what's allowed to be sampled (from recordings) and what's not.

A brief timeline of sampling and US copyright law:
80's - go nuts
90's - be careful, if it's recognizable it must be cleared but maybe you can get away with it
2005-2016 - any sampling of someone else's song at all, no matter how short, is infringement unless it's cleared, f*ck you
2016 - maybe not, if it's not distinctive and unique

A recent court case ruled in favor of "de minimis" sampling with no need for clearance if the sample is not unique enough to merit having copyright protection. http://blog.ericgoldman.org/archives/20 ... adonna.htm

The takeaway seems to be that if you want to sample the whole riff you'd need clearance, but if you want to sample a single hit and use it in a transformative way you're in the clear.
Interesting! I hadn't heard about that ruling. It seems so sane and reasonable, which is why I find it so improbable. :wink:
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

heloo wrote:thanks,
@dj,
Yes he sampled it from the song itself.
If it´s a preset, i have no idea where to find it.

@thecontrolcentre,

The sound of the synth, for example if you listen to 2 Unlimited - No limit, the synth that you can hear from the start,
not the melody of the synth.
If its sampled from the record then a commercial release would need clearance from the artist and/or label (depending on how recognisable the sound is). You're not sampling a synth, you're sampling a recording of a synth.

Is this (commercial release) for youtube videos too? I wanted to have only a short intro with that synth for my videos.

heloo wrote:Is this (commercial release) for youtube videos too? I wanted to have only a short intro with that synth for my videos.
I wouldnt worry about it as long as you're not selling anything.

thecontrolcentre wrote:
heloo wrote:Is this (commercial release) for youtube videos too? I wanted to have only a short intro with that synth for my videos.
I wouldnt worry about it as long as you're not selling anything.
But i earn revenue with my videos, still ok?

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”