Most depressing music you know of?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

if "depressing" is equivalent to a loss of hope then this works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5goA8nqwa8
γνῶθι σαὐτόν

Must it just be music? How about lyrics?

Some lyrics (not all) by depressed, suicidal, bipolar songwriters. Ian Curtis, Kurt Cobain. Robert Smith sometimes. Jimi Hendrix too. Goth bands. Bauhaus. I avoid their depressing songs (lots of them) and just listen to their happier and rockier songs. There are exceptions of course. For example, Creep by Radiohead has depressing sad but true kind of lyrics but it's enjoyable sometimes because the music is alright? Most Motown songs has depressing lyrics but the music is happy and so I can listen to that. But yeah I guess to me the band that has the most depressing lyrics, and most times music that is also depressing, is Joy Division.
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

Perhaps a cliche, but Elliott Smith. His lyrics about missed opportunities and wasted potential are always painfully beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWOYmZs43MM "They say it's a sight that's quite worth seeing, it's just everyone's interest is stronger than mine."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5g-91mwiNs "Stay up all night with the things you could do, you won't but you might; the potential you'll be that you'll never see; the promises you'll only make."

Depends how you define depressing.. I found 90's top 40 pop (boy bands/britpop etc.) to be the most depressing, soul destroying music of all time. EDM is a close second.

As for music that 'sounds' depressing or miserable - that doesn't really compute because none of what characterises music like that actually depresses me. I love some of it.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

do_androids_dream wrote:Depends how you define depressing.. I found 90's top 40 pop (boy bands/britpop etc.) to be the most depressing, soul destroying music of all time. EDM is a close second.

As for music that 'sounds' depressing or miserable - that doesn't really compute because none of what characterises music like that actually depresses me. I love some of it.
Read my post on the previous page. :wink: I agree, bad music doesn't make you feel good - but there's no such thing as music that causes depression - or even making an existing condition worse.

harryupbabble wrote:Must it just be music? How about lyrics?
Well, as I stated, I'm looking for music. Lyrics are part of music, but rarely do the lyrics solely constitute something being as "music". They would be solely more often considered being part of poetry. Which, in itself, can be very emotional indeed. It's just that lyrics rarely give me that feeling on their own.
Last edited by Functional on Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

T-CM11 wrote:
do_androids_dream wrote:Depends how you define depressing.. I found 90's top 40 pop (boy bands/britpop etc.) to be the most depressing, soul destroying music of all time. EDM is a close second.

Read my post on the previous page. :wink: I agree, bad music doesn't make you feel good - but there's no such thing as music that causes depression - or even making an existing condition worse.
I think you're taking it too "literally". Think of it simply being melancholic. It's not necessarily meant to make you feel depressed, but rather, resonate with you if you're sad, or perhaps even when you're depressed. I think that's what depressive music is all about. But I think it's highly subjective as to what actually resonates with you when you're sad.

As funny as the EDM & pop puns are, I think all of us understand that we're not talking about that.

ANYTHING by Karma_tba....anything as in all inclusive, not "Anything" as in a song title.... :(

do_androids_dream wrote:Depends how you define depressing..
+1

Minimal techno or House that labels like Strictly Rhythm put out.

To me an instant show stopper, makes me want to go home and put in my earplugs.

The Smiths - Asleep
https://youtu.be/JKcLQ4YOf-U
"What embecile composed this list :/"

Functional wrote:I think all of us understand that we're not talking about that.
I do and you do, and some others do... But this is not a private gathering of incrowd (necessarily) - this is a public forum on the international cyberinternetwebz. :wink:
The OP should've defined the context more clearly. There are plenty of people out there that call melancholic depressive, and not in a positive way. (no pun and/or irony intended)

Brittlestem wrote:The Smiths - Asleep
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKcLQ4YOf-U
"What embecile composed this list :/"

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”