The I promise I will not buy more gear-thread (HaRd MoDe 2017)

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This ain't your Grandpa's "promise I will not buy" thread! No standing up and feigning disappointment and embarrassment while admitting you've reoffended, only days since your last promise, only to be met by all-knowing sniggers from your compadres...followed by their own admissions of guilt :uhuhuh: :uhuhuh:

Nope! You say you are not going to buy, and so you don't...for the whole of 2017 :o :o

Go on...I f**king dare ya :tu:

eDiT: Now with WildCard:

You have one wildcard option to use for the year. Maybe treat yourself to something on your birthday, or maybe take advantage of NI's 50% komplete upgrade

Roll-Call:

mikebenson **Fallen Comrade**
Michael L
Greenstorm33 **Fallen Comrade**
Chapelle
Muied Lumens
Bombadil **Fallen Comrade**
el-bo
Last edited by el-bo (formerly ebow) on Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:17 pm, edited 13 times in total.

Nope! I have a shopping list for 2017... I'm gonna buy some gear. :borg:

elxsound wrote:Nope! I have a shopping list for 2017... I'm gonna buy some gear. :borg:
This is not for people who have no desire to not buy more gear. It's for people who think that they really don't need anything else, and who pretend in other threads that they are not going to buy

Well, I'm here to offer support...

I can say I have no intentions to give into hype, or GAS for all of 2017. My shopping list is a well planned list on things I need.

elxsound wrote:Well, I'm here to offer support...
:tu:
elxsound wrote:I can say I have no intentions to give into hype, or GAS for all of 2017. My shopping list is a well planned list on things I need.
I will be buying an ssd drive at some point, as my hard drive is on it's way out. However, for me, that is a general cost of computing, and not the issue I am referring to

You could declare your list, and then promise not to sway from it :P :P

No pressure, though :tu:

Ok, but the AKG C414-XLII that I ordered a few hours ago doesn't count.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Great idea. I'm in. I have more than I need, and it will be good to have some accountability to my friends here on kvr. Is there some way to keep this in our face throughout the year? ... An app, reminder email or something that can remind us of this daily. Suggestions?

Bombadil wrote:Ok, but the AKG C414-XLII that I ordered a few hours ago doesn't count.
Of course not. I had intended to post this before the year was out, then kinda didn't bother. If you really do wish to challenge yourself, then there is nothing wrong with making the commitment from the first moment you declare it in this thread (as long as it's sometime soon :tu: )
Last edited by el-bo (formerly ebow) on Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikebenson wrote:Great idea. I'm in. I have more than I need, and it will be good to have some accountability to my friends here on kvr. Is there some way to keep this in our face throughout the year? ... An app, reminder email or something that can remind us of this daily. Suggestions?
There are many apps that can be used as your own personal check system, many of which run as streaks i.e accumulated success days.

In terms of keeping this thread visible, perhaps people could post at moments when they feel weak, and are ready to 'offend'. Then we can talk each other out of it. Also, returning to declare, "I didn't buy blah blah blah, today, even though it was at 70% discount" might help to strengthen everybody's resolve :tu:

In addition, perhaps we could talk about how we are finally getting around to learning the plugs we bought on 'Black Friday' 5 years ago :shrug:

and linking to all the new music we are making, now that we are not buying all this new gear

Just some ideas :tu:

I'm in. I'm pretty sure I've already got enough software to last me several lifetimes, so no more for me this year. It's time to buckle down and learn what I've got instead of looking at/purchasing new stuff.
Last edited by Greenstorm33 on Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:33 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Bought Synthmaster for 10$ on day one of 2017. So I guess it does not count as it's almost like I bought it in 2016. So can I still take part in this thread.

:dog: :cry: :bang: :shrug: :tantrum:
No signature here!

What about selling stuff to fund new purchases? Is that ok?
my music:
soundcloud.com/septimon-band
blend.io/septimon

robotmonkey wrote:Bought Synthmaster for 10$ on day one of 2017. So I guess it does not count as it's almost like I bought it in 2016. So can I still take part in this thread.

Of course you can. It's my fault for not letting you know sooner.

I really did plan to start the thread at the end of last year, so everyone could plan/make last-minute purchases. In the end, I kinda thought that nobody would be interested, so didn't bother.

But then I just decided to start it anyway :shrug:

I bought the last few things I wanted on 31/01/2016, and 'Synthmaster' was the first thing that came to tempt me. I didn't break though :hyper: :hyper:

Septimon wrote:What about selling stuff to fund new purchases? Is that ok?
Strictly speaking, I'd say not. It was one of the ideas I toyed with when thinking about the thread.

In the end, it's not so much about saving money (although that will be another positive). The idea is more about being content with what we have, and how sticking with our current plugin folders (Or hardware synths) might allow us more opportunity to explore, and even master them

The other idea I toyed with was that of allowing one wildcard. This allows for Greenstorm33 and others to get that one item that they had already been planning/saving for, or if something comes up that you absolutely need for a project, that you had never accounted for.

It might be fun for people to let no-brainer deals fly by the wayside, and save their wildcard on the off-chance that Ableton come out with their next major, paid update

Or not :shrug:

robotmonkey wrote:Bought Synthmaster for 10$ on day one of 2017. So I guess it does not count as it's almost like I bought it in 2016. So can I still take part in this thread.

Haha... No worries. The thread didn't exist before, so now you have something to help you!

@el-bo here's my list (from memory) that I intend to stick to for 2017:

Software Instruments:

Z2+Dark Zebra with the path to Zebra 3. I've bought and sold it before in effort to minimize things, but I will be buying it back as a necessary tool this time.

Reaktor 6 upgrade from 5... I've been patiently waiting for a discounted upgrade path and if one is available I'll be taking it.

For software effects..

I intend to pick up a new De-esser and I have my eyes on the Fabfilter Pro-DS, as I already own a license to everything they have except for Pro-R (which is lovely, but I don't need) and Pro-MB (lovely, but again I don't need). Yes I just missed a sale, but priorities, priorities.

I have yet to download the demo of GRM Tools Creative Bundle, but Evolution which is included in that bundle, based on videos I've seen might be the tool I've been looking for in so many other tools that have since been discarded.

For sample libraries...

I don't need anything at the moment, but I had been watching the Albion libraries before Spitfire switched currencies to the dollar. I don't have any impending projects for anything orchestral so I can wait until probably end of the year, or even 2018.

I still might pick up Boom Library's The Interface for a side project, but I'm still researching a couple subscription services for source sounds vs. building my own library (but time is limited).

Hardware!
A new computer. Enough said. I'm staying in the Apple ecosystem after recently purchasing an iPad Pro (and that was after comparing the iPad Pro to the Surface Pro, including multiple trips between the Apple store and Microsoft store on 5th ave.... which was an adventure pre-election as you know who's building is right between the two stores).

New Back-up hard drives... one recently died to make a total of 3 dead hard drives in 2016!! Talk about fun times!

LOM's Elektrosluch! I always miss this when they're available, but if I can purchase I will... If not, I've researched an alternative for building myself, but I have limited experience here so I'm hoping I can catch the next batch.

Lastly, depending on how the year goes, I wouldn't mind adding Make Noise Co.'s 0-Coast to the mix. This one I will probably miss out on because the years looks to be an expensive one for everything non-music related.

Are there upgrades that might break me down? Possibly. 2CAudio has been talking about big plans for 2017, so an Aether 2 could get me there and then again it might not, as it is still a lovely tool as is.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”