Why people don't like Krk Rokits ?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi ! Just a question..

I bought a pair of Rokit 6 G3.

I found them good. Nice amount of bass.

But I found that they doesn't clear in bass frequency => bass are muddy, the worst ennemy for a mix (maybe it is also acoustic).

So, I bought Sonarworks Reference 3.
With their mic.

I calibrated my Rokits.

Results : it is totally different. All the muddy bass disapeared.
It sound clean.

So, should I keep rokits 6 for profesionnal mixing ?

Or do I have to spend a big amount of dollars for "better" monitors ?

Rokits are known for their hyped bass response. They are quite popular with the dance/hip-hop crowd, I guess because they offer a more flattering response in the areas they are interested in. While it might get heads nodding in the control room, it doesn't really offer an honest perspective on how the mix translates elsewhere.

At the end of the day, if you know what your speakers are doing, taking into account the influence of the space you are working in(Or, as in your case, have performed some kind of calibration voodoo), it shouldn't matter so much.

If you do feel like changing your monitors for something a little flatter, perhaps take a look at the Jbl lsr305 set. They are likely cheaper than you paid for what you currently have, and have a really solid reputation - Real giant-killers. One day, I would like to pick up a pair :tu:

^^^ This. It may be useful to listen to music you know well on the Rokits and on other speakers (in your car, iPod etc) to see how details translate differently.
H E L P
Y O U R
F L O W

I don't think the bass is hyped at all. It's a myth that's being perpetuated for years. They are just voiced in a certain way, you could make the same argument against Dynaudio BM's for being too forward on the low end. And besides aren't many professional monitors known for their hyped mid range like Yamaha NS10s (and newer hs5)?

The Rokits translate a lot better to low end consumer speakers, especially those tiny Bluetooth speakers, than a lot of the really high end stuff. Genelecs and ATCs just have a habit of making things sound very beautiful for example but that may not always translate to lower fidelity setups.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

v1o wrote:I don't think the bass is hyped at all. It's a myth that's being perpetuated for years.
They are just voiced in a certain way, you could make the same argument against Dynaudio BM's for being too focused on the low end. And besides aren't many professional monitors known for their hyped mid range like Yamaha NS10s?

The Rokits translate a lot better to low end consumer speakers, especially tiny those tiny Bluetooth speakers, than a lot of the high end stuff. Genelecs and ATCs just make everything beautiful for example but that doesn't always translate to lower fidelity setups.
When I tested them I felt they were hyped in the bass :shrug: but I don't have ears that are anywhere near golden. And you are right in pointing out that every monitor set will have a particular hype/focus, but given how bass frequencies are much harder to tame in a non-ideal room, I'd personally prefer my 'focus' at some other part of the spectrum

Not a mixing expert, buy they are hyped.

V series for mixing, Rokit for general use. If you can reference with them, then I'm sure they'd be fine, but it wouldn't be my first choice regardless of room/treatment/etc.

It's been a long time since I did a serious monitor comparison. Their V series were some of the best, in fact, the V6's were fabulous to me. But I used many different types of reference material and knew what I was listening for.

"Feeling" bass is something other than "hearing" it. Pretty sure my ears are just simply too old to care anymore, but at one time I was pretty f....'n accurate.

It's why so many studios (the ones left.....) have a pair of NS-10's and then big ass speakers as well. Use the NS-10 to fine tune things, use the banga's to impress clients :hihi:

One thing to think about is that "jamming out that new track" is NOT mixing. I use different speakers for production than I do for mixing. Basically, if I'm going to turn it up to feel it, I use a small pair of PA speakers that sound fairly decent.

These days I pretty much mix at table radio levels which is one way to get better appreciation of bass out of smaller speakers as they are now less distorted.

YMMV.

Rokits are EDM standard, I see them in every second studio. If all the modern music is produced on them anyway, you can't go wrong with these. They are praised for clean low-end, unmatched at this price point.

Personally I will get a pair as soon as I have a place.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”